Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: MERGED: College Football Legend Joe Paterno dies at 85

1. -51
    Ours is the fury.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    And now Westboro is gonna picket the funeral. We can only hope they get the treatment they allegedly got a couple years back when they tried to picket a soldier's funeral in Oxford, Mississippi.
    but when the trumpets blew again and the knights charged, the name they cried was "Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!"

Quote Originally Posted by King Stannis Baratheon
    Lord Seaworth is a man of humble birth, but he reminded me of my duty, when all I could think of was my rights. I had the cart before the horse, Davos said. I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne.
    Quote Quote  

2. -52
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by COphinphan89 View Post
    And now Westboro is gonna picket the funeral. We can only hope they get the treatment they allegedly got a couple years back when they tried to picket a soldier's funeral in Oxford, Mississippi.
    Given the nature of Penn State students and their fans, this could become very violent, very quickly.

And I hope it does.

Quote Quote  

3. -53
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbaucom View Post
    Shocking you dont think anyone belongs in the same class as Bear Bryant. You're opinion is so slanted its not funny. Do you ever think anything is better, or even on the same level as anything from Alabama?

Coach Paterno isn't in Bear Bryant's class. Period. It has nothing to do with slanted opinion, as that would insinuate that the subject is debateable.

I admit that I'd be interested to see the case you're willing to make on behalf of Paterno.
    Quote Quote  

4. -54
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Namor View Post
    Ok...this post did it..Ted was pretty easy going and more complimentry toward that spineless,senile figurehead of a coach that passed today.
    Please tell me how that former coach of NAMBLA U...is even on the same plane as a human being as Bear Bryant,muchless as a coach.
    That post is just idiotic....oh yea..Good job Nubs..thanking him for it..glad our mods here don't show personal bias.
    Joe Paterno HAS left a mark on college football....to bad it's part of the most shameful,disgusting scandal in football HISTORY.
    No matter how you sugar coat things with all these so called political correct accolades people are giving Joe...You know what people are really feeling about him......just sad disgust..plain and simple.....
    Everyone is personally bias, it is called an opinion. This post above is your opinion and maybe in the back wood of the south it widely accepted but farther north people truly believe it is a tragedy and are saddened, even the people who are of the opinion that Joe should have done more are sullen.

I met JoePa several times and respected him, legacy and goodwill aside, Bear was feeding the worms by the time I was old enough to know who the hell he was. Kinda like you wouldn't be very saddened by my demise the beautiful thing is it would not affect me one bit, just like your opinion of Joe doesn't affect him, what it does affect however is how we are viewed by our piers and the public.

Last edited by NY8123; 01-23-2012 at 09:27 AM.
    Peace and Humptiness Forever

Quote Quote  

5. -55
    1st Ballot Hall of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    CUSE
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rip
    Quote Quote  

6. -56
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Namor View Post
    Bear Bryant would not have overlooked what Joe overlooked. I'd be the first up to T-Town to kick Bear's statue down,if something this
    vile happened on his watch.

WE ARE PERV STATE!!!!!
    How do you know it didn't? Things where different back then, just because you hold a position of high rank doesn't mean you know 100% what is going on with all your underlings it also doesn't mean you are guilty if you don't. That thing called trust, is based on character, we all get duped from time to time even the great ones.

Alligations can be made against anyone at any given time:

FBI tracked Alabama football in 'Bear' Bryant era, documents show

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- Forty years ago, Alabama football fans watched Southern California and a black running back named Sam Cunningham trounce coach Paul "Bear" Bryant's Crimson Tide in a game widely credited with helping start the integration of Southern football.

Fans weren't the only ones watching Alabama football back then. The FBI, apparently with the approval of then-director J. Edgar Hoover, was secretly keeping an eye on a civil rights lawsuit filed by blacks against the legendary coach during the same period.

Documents released to The Associated Press under the Freedom of Information Act show that for almost two years, agents tracked the suit filed by a prominent black lawyer against Bryant, the University of Alabama and others to make Bryant recruit black football players. Building a file, agents followed the court docket and snipped stories from newspapers about the case, sending the findings to the agency's office responsible for investigating civil rights crimes.

http://blog.al.com/wire/2010/08/fbi_...ar_bryant.html

Bear could have done more!
    Quote Quote  

7. -57
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I said in my first post,I wouldn't pile on the old man unless stupid posts started poping up comparing him to Bear Bryant.
    It's all fair game now.
    Say all your little back woods jokes you want to...NOTHING compares to what has happened at NAMBLA U.
    You have a friend for 32 years...you know all about him...don't act like JOE was stupid...He helped overlook
    the acts to save Penn. St...Joe isn't alone,there are others in the Penn St higher ups that helped sweep this under the rug.
    They are just as guilty as Sandusky...Sugercoat it all you want to.....
    Quote Quote  

8. -58
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NY8123 View Post
    How do you know it didn't? Things where different back then, just because you hold a position of high rank doesn't mean you know 100% what is going on with all your underlings it also doesn't mean you are guilty if you don't. That thing called trust, is based on character, we all get duped from time to time even the great ones.

In 1971 Bear Byrant threatened the Alabama Board of Trustees he would quit if African-Americans were not allowed to be recruited .
    This was at a time when George Wallace was Gov. of Alabama in a dark time of Alabama politics and just stupidity....I lived through those times.
    Now...compare that to overlooking the violent raping of children.
    Quote Quote  

9. -59
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NY8123 View Post

Nowhere near the same thing. Bear Bryant wasn't allowed to recruit black players, he wasn't allowed to have them on his football team. He knew what he was doing when he scheduled USC to play Bama in Alabama. It was to give the politicians and the pro-segregation University uptights a wake up call. He knew USC was going to hammer his Bama team made up of all white players, and knew the direction in which college football was moving.

Bear Bryant is the reason Alabama de-segregated.

Furthermore, raping children has at no point in history been acceptable by society... unlike segregation, which was simply a way of life.
    Quote Quote  

10. -60
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Quote