Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

View Poll Results: Do you want the Dolphins to sign P. Manning as the starting quarterback for 2012?

Voters
579. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yes! It's freakin Peyton Manning

309 53.37%
  • I'd be Okay with it

100 17.27%
  • No, the injury worries me too much

119 20.55%
  • Hell NO!

51 8.81%
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you want the Dolphins to sign P. Manning?

1. -11
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This shouldnt even be a question.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Captain Wine Cooler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If healthy - Yes, If not healthy - No. I'd imagine that is what most will say.

The fact is we have no idea if he is going to be healthy. Even if he is cleared by doctors he could go down in his first game back, second game back etc. The only way to know for sure is when he comes through a full season or so unscathed, meaning the team that signs him will be taking a big risk with that big contract he'd demand. Even if he did come through the season I doubt he'd be playing at his best, or even close to it after such a long time out. He is also 36 in March. How many years does he have left to play at an elite level? Would the Colts really let him go if he was still at his best?

Then again the fins haven't been close to a superbowl for over a decade and Manning had that god awful Colts team being a contender every season. A healthy Peyton Manning would make the fins a serious contender for the Lombardi trophy. For that reason, along with the fact it isn't my money, I'll go with yes. Unless of course Philbin believes Matt Flynn is the real deal who can lead the franchise for 10+ years then I'd say let another team take the risk on Manning, and we'll roll with Flynn.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NRA View Post
    NO!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

its not so much the injury thing for me, its how much he is going to cost. and anyone thinking peyton is walking in here and signing for some budget contract is shooting liquid crack, pcp and lsd in their eyeball!!!

and anyone who thinks this team is a super qb away from the bowl is shooting the same drugs and if we sign manning, we wont be getting the pieces we need. it will be back to low budget, cast off free agents like the colts have had to do since they gave manning that mass salary and ending in a 2 win season.

we need starters, big time playmakers in several spots and we need depth at ALL positions. we hand out manning type contracts and its all over before it even gets started.

think folks. dont dream, think!!
    all very good points...
    however if peyton manning is healthy and is cleared by the doctors to play. why wouldn't we take a pissed off manning,with a giant chip on his shoulder ?
    i'm not saying we are sb contenders with him, but we'd be pretty dam close.
    and closer than we are now.
    also taking a chance on manning totally changes the off season priorities, we could draft for once, best player available (imo) instead of selling the farm for trading up in the draft.
    i know this doesn't solve our long term qb problem, but this is peyton freaking mannnig. imo
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I say do it. But don't expect him to last long. Absolutely enjoy the ride, but we better draft another talented qb, even if we took peyton.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - S. Beckett
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i would be okay with it if we draft a qb 1st round and he is given a few years to sit, like rodgers did

Quote Quote  

6. -16
    FIN4LIFE

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Daytona Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 171972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    duh, yes
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NRA View Post
    NO!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

its not so much the injury thing for me, its how much he is going to cost. and anyone thinking peyton is walking in here and signing for some budget contract is shooting liquid crack, pcp and lsd in their eyeball!!!

and anyone who thinks this team is a super qb away from the bowl is shooting the same drugs and if we sign manning, we wont be getting the pieces we need. it will be back to low budget, cast off free agents like the colts have had to do since they gave manning that mass salary and ending in a 2 win season.

we need starters, big time playmakers in several spots and we need depth at ALL positions. we hand out manning type contracts and its all over before it even gets started.

think folks. dont dream, think!!
    First off, I believe the media and the NFL fan base is severely underrating Manning's abilities even at this age. He is only one year older than Brady. I thought going into this past season he could've still been playing at a level as the best quarterback in the NFL and yet now people view him as a cast off.

For the next few years it will still be Rodgers Brees Brady Manning in no specific order as the top 4 quarterbacks of the NFL. I think he could still play at a top 6 level at age 40-42 until he gets too tired to play. Its not like he has hurt his elbow or arm in any way. He is essentially still the most accurate quarterback in the nfl and perhaps the smartest pre snap quarterback as well.

I want Manning or Griffin. Give me either and I will be ecstatic for the future. I do NOT want Flynn Moore or Tannehill. If any of those guys are chosen we will be busts.

You mentioned the cap situation. The way I view it, if we bring in Manning there is a possibility we can get Wayne at a discount. Maybe not who knows.

The rest of our holes I believe we can resolve in the draft. Pass Rush and Offensive tackle can be resolved in any of the first 3 rounds. I like Ledarius Green out of Louisiana Lafayette as a Tight End pick in the 4th round. Speed tight end with great hands who is underweight right now but can develop into a legitimate piece.

If we get Manning or Griffin we immediately have playoff chances. Sure Manning won't be around forever, but why not enjoy the years he has left? Especially when he will have a chip on his shoulder. And who knows maybe he'll bring Reggie Wayne along with him!
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    To all that voted yes, are you willing to clear 15 million in cap space for a guy who may be one hit away from retirement? That means cutting quite a few of our players, and not signing any other FA's, and not resigning our FA's. And are you wiling to risk a few seasons on a guy who is 36 years old and hasnt even played football in a year and a half? And how well do you think he will perform in our offense, where he wont be able to call the plays like he did in Indy, and has to learn an entirely new offense?

I dont think this is a wise idea at all.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    FIN4LIFE

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Daytona Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 171972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Zounds View Post
    To all that voted yes, are you willing to clear 15 million in cap space for a guy who may be one hit away from retirement? That means cutting quite a few of our players, and not signing any other FA's, and not resigning our FA's. And are you wiling to risk a few seasons on a guy who is 36 years old and hasnt even played football in a year and a half? And how well do you think he will perform in our offense, where he wont be able to call the plays like he did in Indy, and has to learn an entirely new offense?

I dont think this is a wise idea at all.
    are you willing to watch the jets win a couple super bowls with manning?
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Im tired of people saying IF he is healthy, none of us will know until he actually plays, if the doctors clear him to play. My question is rather, is he worth the risk? I think so, i mean, its peyton manning, we would be dumb not to take the chance. Even if its just one great season, I would be happy knowing we tried, and with Manning we have the best chance. Im not sure how much Peyton will cost, anybody know how much the Jets or Vikings paid Favre? I dont think with Peyton its all about the money, he's already loaded, unlike Flynn.
    Quote Quote