Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which QB's Fit the West Coast Offense?

1. -1
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Which QB's Fit the West Coast Offense?

I'm a huge Peyton Manning fan, but I honestly don't think he will play again. Still not sure if Matt Flynn is Plan B for Miami. I would have thought he would be plan A, which begs the question what does Joe Philibin think of Flynn? That's still a possibility, but it could be the Dolphins look to the draft to find their qb of the future. Obviously Ryan Tannehill played for Sherman in a pro-style offense, but who else out there do you guys think would be a good fit for the West Coast offense?
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SF Dolphin Fan View Post
    I'm a huge Peyton Manning fan, but I honestly don't think he will play again. Still not sure if Matt Flynn is Plan B for Miami. I would have thought he would be plan A, which begs the question what does Joe Philibin think of Flynn? That's still a possibility, but it could be the Dolphins look to the draft to find their qb of the future. Obviously Ryan Tannehill played for Sherman in a pro-style offense, but who else out there do you guys think would be a good fit for the West Coast offense?
    I think that Brandon Marshall would be very happy to have Brandon Weeden throwing him the ball. Good deep thrower and an excellent short and especially mid range thrower, one of the best I've seen.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    At this point, I'd much prefer Tannehill to Weeden. Weeden is the better QB now, but with the coaches we have in place and the understanding that we're building something, I'm willing to bet on Tannehill's upside. And his upside is the best of any QB in the draft - far as I can see.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If we don't go after Flynn then it's probably Philbin thinking Flynn isn't a long term answer. If we don't go after Tannehill then most likely Sherman doesn't feel he's the answer at the NFL level. We have the inside track for both.

IMO the fact that we're going after Manning has more to do with Ross wanting a franchise QB and a big name as the face of the franchise more than any opinion Ireland, Philbin or Sherman may have. Clearly if Manning can't play then it's on to the next QB. I also believe that the Dolphins organization being so quiet about Flynn may be to cast doubt on his abilities for other franchises just in case he does become the target. When free agency opens we'll know for sure especially if Flynn is the first call we make.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Another thing to remember about Tannehill is that his foot injury was classified as "significant". Don't exactly know what that means but if it's plantar fasciitis you have to wonder how hard it will be for him to drop back and plant his foot and then throw...how likely it is for the problem to reoccur and will it be a chronic issue.

We'll probably know more once he gets to the combine and they've had the doctors go over him with a fine tooth comb. I'm sure his foot, along with Weeden's shoulder, will get an extreme examination.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by datruth55 View Post
    If we don't go after Flynn then it's probably Philbin thinking Flynn isn't a long term answer. If we don't go after Tannehill then most likely Sherman doesn't feel he's the answer at the NFL level. We have the inside track for both.

IMO the fact that we're going after Manning has more to do with Ross wanting a franchise QB and a big name as the face of the franchise more than any opinion Ireland, Philbin or Sherman may have. Clearly if Manning can't play then it's on to the next QB. I also believe that the Dolphins organization being so quiet about Flynn may be to cast doubt on his abilities for other franchises just in case he does become the target. When free agency opens we'll know for sure especially if Flynn is the first call we make.
    Good point regarding Flynn.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j-off-her-doll View Post
    At this point, I'd much prefer Tannehill to Weeden. Weeden is the better QB now, but with the coaches we have in place and the understanding that we're building something, I'm willing to bet on Tannehill's upside. And his upside is the best of any QB in the draft - far as I can see.
    I also think he has tremendous upside maybe third behind Luck and Griffin III in that regard.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SF Dolphin Fan View Post
    I also think he has tremendous upside maybe third behind Luck and Griffin III in that regard.
    If we're talking about physical talent, he has more upside than either. Stronger arm than either, better combination of mobility and size than either. He's also shown that he's a quick study.

He's not a better prospect than Luck - obviously. But he's a better physical talent. And I'd say that he is a better prospect than RG3.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    PowerHungryMo'fo

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    WCO QB have a short compact release and accurate ball placement. Having a big arm isn't necessary running the WCO; having enough arm strength with superb timing can get the job done see Joe Montana.

I do NOT see that in Matt Flynn, I see a guy who knows the system and is willing to trust the system. A perfect backup, IMO.

Who the draft fits? Closest is Brandon Weeden but hes a fossil.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    St Helens, Or
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The QB closest to WCO ready is Kellen Moore, but he lacks overall arm strength even with superior accuracy. You end up with a Colt McCoy at best.
    Quote Quote