Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Why would anyone choose Flynn over Manning

1. -41
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'll take both, cut Moore.
    IT ALL STARTS IN THE TRENCHES!
    Quote Quote  

2. -42
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Chattanooga, Tennessee, U
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by traptses View Post
    Well, a healthy Manning, yes, he's great. But, with his age, he only has maybe 2-3 years left. So what? We sign him and win a few more games, and then we are back in mediocrity? And the key word there is HEALTHY. We don't even know if he can still play like he used to, and we probably won't know that until after Free agency, maybe not until after the draft. So we pass on Flynn, and draft no QB, and then find out that Manning can't play anymore. So now we have nobody.
    There have been many players that have come back from this injury. I do not doubt that Manning will make a full recovery. He is the hardest worker in the NFL. Manning is not your average stop gap. He is one of the greatest to ever play the game. There is risk in both signing him or Flynn. The difference is Manning has had tremendous success in the NFL for well over a decade. Flynn has not and is just as much of a wild card because even with him you don't know what you are getting. For all you know he could be signing Kevin Kolb 2.0. At least if you take the risk with Manning and he is healthy the dolphins would be legitimate contenders while he is playing.

So what if we don't take a qb early? We could draft key players to fill in holes other than qb to give Manning all the help he would need while he is here. The dolphins would then have the luxury of spending a mid to late round pick on a qb who is raw but has potential. Let him sit behind the best possible option with Peyton Manning. Plus those key pieces that the fins would draft instead of a qb early would be in place for the "future" qb. Matt Moore has at least shown that he can be a solid starter. It's not like we wouldn't have someone on the roster that isn't capable.
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NamathDrunkLove View Post
    Nobody is saying we are a guarantee to beat the Pats. And what does his record in the past against the Pats have anything to with what he might do with the Dolphins? The Colts are terrible and have always been a team that has won and lost on Mannings arm. The Dolphins have quite a bit more talent on this team than what the colts have had over the past decade. As for saying Manning is just an average qb compared to what we've had since Marino left, I thought the first part of your post was clueless. You just confirmed my suspicions with that last part.
    You might want to try to understand posts before critizing. I was commenting on a post where they support Manning based on "imagine what he would do against Brady'. Hence my stats of Manning vs Brady straight up. Oh yes, please tell me more about how the fins have more talent than the colts. LOL, how many SBs do we have compared to them. That is not all Manning, if you are one of those than clueless is looking in your mirror. And what the last part of my post said, as his stats against the pats prove, he is average against the team we need to beat. Like the other Qbs we had in the past 10 years againts the pats.
    Quote Quote  

4. -44
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SCOTTY View Post
    You might want to try to understand posts before critizing. I was commenting on a post where they support Manning based on "imagine what he would do against Brady'. Hence my stats of Manning vs Brady straight up. Oh yes, please tell me more about how the fins have more talent than the colts. LOL, how many SBs do we have compared to them. That is not all Manning, if you are one of those than clueless is looking in your mirror. And what the last part of my post said, as his stats against the pats prove, he is average against the team we need to beat. Like the other Qbs we had in the past 10 years againts the pats.
    Obviously you didn't watch the colts this year. Which by and large hasn't changed much in terms of core players they have had over the years. They proved what a lot of critics have been saying for years. Peyton Manning is the Colts. Even their defenders (Mathis and Freeney) had poor years. Part of what made them successful is that they were free to always get after the qb. Mannning enabled them to do that because he was always a threat to score and put opposing teams in passing situations. It's a lot easier to stop something when you know what is coming. And how many of those receivers had over 1,000 yards receiving this year? How many of them caught more than 5 tds? How many times were the colts qb's sacked this year? Manning made everyone on that team better. Trent Dilfer said it best the other day, that nobody has masked his own teams inefficiencies better than what Manning has.
    Quote Quote  

5. -45
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Obviously you didn't watch the colts this year. Which by and large hasn't changed much in terms of core players they have had over the years. They proved what a lot of critics have been saying for years. Peyton Manning is the Colts. Even their defenders (Mathis and Freeney) had poor years. Part of what made them successful is that they were free to always get after the qb. Mannning enabled them to do that because he was always a threat to score and put opposing teams in passing situations. It's a lot easier to stop something when you know what is coming. And how many of those receivers had over 1,000 yards receiving this year? How many of them caught more than 5 tds? How many times were the colts qb's sacked this year? Manning made everyone on that team better. Trent Dilfer said it best the other day, that nobody has masked his own teams inefficiencies better than what Manning has.
    Last years colts team is nothing like that when they terrorized the AFC. Seriously we have more talent than he did when they went to the SB?? Harrison, Wayne, James, Vanderjagt then Vinatieri, Clark, Addai, Freeney, Mathis, Cato....Come on seriously no talent????
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albany, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    There have been many players that have come back from this injury. I do not doubt that Manning will make a full recovery. He is the hardest worker in the NFL. Manning is not your average stop gap. He is one of the greatest to ever play the game. There is risk in both signing him or Flynn. The difference is Manning has had tremendous success in the NFL for well over a decade. Flynn has not and is just as much of a wild card because even with him you don't know what you are getting. For all you know he could be signing Kevin Kolb 2.0. At least if you take the risk with Manning and he is healthy the dolphins would be legitimate contenders while he is playing.

So what if we don't take a qb early? We could draft key players to fill in holes other than qb to give Manning all the help he would need while he is here. The dolphins would then have the luxury of spending a mid to late round pick on a qb who is raw but has potential. Let him sit behind the best possible option with Peyton Manning. Plus those key pieces that the fins would draft instead of a qb early would be in place for the "future" qb. Matt Moore has at least shown that he can be a solid starter. It's not like we wouldn't have someone on the roster that isn't capable.
    ok. Well, reading your posts, it's obvious you're on Manning's ****, and like the other poster said, you don't take the time to understand what we are actually saying. Sure, other PLAYERS have come back from the surgery, but how many of them were QB's? If the nerves are damaged, he may never be able to grip the ball the same way, and he may not have the same arm he once had.
    And I never said he was an "average stop-gap", but again you're missing my point. He may not be an average stop-gap, but he is still a stop-gap. Like I said, we sign Manning and he playes for a couple years. Then he retires, and we are back in the same boat we are in now
    Quote Quote  

7. -47
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    A healthy Manning i'm all for.....but odds are he's not healthy, and can't play.

So at that point i'd go with Flynn because he's going to be at least " good " and to be real i think that's all he'll ever be but having a top 15 QB is a must have in the NFL.

Last two times we had "good" QB play we made the playoffs......so to me you go after Flynn and if you can't land him you go and get RG3.
    Quote Quote  

8. -48
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SCOTTY View Post
    Last years colts team is nothing like that when they terrorized the AFC. Seriously we have more talent than he did when they went to the SB?? Harrison, Wayne, James, Vanderjagt then Vinatieri, Clark, Addai, Freeney, Mathis, Cato....Come on seriously no talent????
    They may not have "Terrorized" the AFC last year but they were still a legitimate contender. As for all of this "talent" that you mention, where are they without Manning? It's a well accepted opinion that Manning makes the players around him better. Who was Wes Welker before he had Tom Brady throwing to him? I didn't see you mention any of the awesome oline talent that Manning has had. Jeff Saturday is the onliy one worth mentioning. We may not have the best offensive line in the NFL but it certainly isn't as one dimensional as the colts oline.
    Quote Quote  

9. -49
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by traptses View Post
    ok. Well, reading your posts, it's obvious you're on Manning's ****, and like the other poster said, you don't take the time to understand what we are actually saying. Sure, other PLAYERS have come back from the surgery, but how many of them were QB's? If the nerves are damaged, he may never be able to grip the ball the same way, and he may not have the same arm he once had.
    And I never said he was an "average stop-gap", but again you're missing my point. He may not be an average stop-gap, but he is still a stop-gap. Like I said, we sign Manning and he playes for a couple years. Then he retires, and we are back in the same boat we are in now
    I never said that you said he was a stop gap. I said that he is "not the average stop gap." Yes I admitted that he is one. But that is one hell of a stop gap "IF" healthy. I have taken time to read and understand yours and others posts. You clearly would rather take the risk on Matt Flynn. I would rather take the risk with Peyton Manning. Like some others have said, Mannning is most likely to take an incentive contract. If he makes in the 15 mill range the odds are he will have been well worth it.

The way I am looking at it is from a failure point of view. We are more likely to rebound more quickly if Manning fails as opposed to Matt Flynn. In all odds Flynn would demand Kevin Kolb type of money thus hurting us salary cap wise any year we would try to cut him (again assuming he fails). If Manning fails, it would hurt a lot less. We could cut him after one year and the cap hit wouldn't hurt as much because his contract probably wouldn't have as much guaranteed money as Matt Flynns.

You asked how many of those players were qb's? You are right there have not been that many qb's that have had this type of injury/surgery. But the success rate is there for players who have had this surgery to come back and play at a high level. Nobody knows when the nerve will regenerate but most believe that it will. It takes time. My money is on it regenerating, and even if he doesn't have quite the arm strength that he had, odds are he will still have more than say a Chad Pennington. By all indications from colts players he is slowing regaining his arm strength. The season doesn't start for another 7 months. And he is rehabbing hard to get where he was. If you have read in my other posts you would also notice that I am for drafted a developmental if we were to get Manning. Manning would be one hell of a qb to learn from. So us being in the same situation that we are in right now may not be the case.
    Quote Quote  

10. -50
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    They may not have "Terrorized" the AFC last year but they were still a legitimate contender. As for all of this "talent" that you mention, where are they without Manning? It's a well accepted opinion that Manning makes the players around him better. Who was Wes Welker before he had Tom Brady throwing to him? I didn't see you mention any of the awesome oline talent that Manning has had. Jeff Saturday is the onliy one worth mentioning. We may not have the best offensive line in the NFL but it certainly isn't as one dimensional as the colts oline.
    90% of those on that I mentioned from the hayday years are not there anymore. And for Manning's non talented oline at the time. Glenn LT and Saturday C are both probowlers. Jake Scott at G is definitely no slouch. Please stop saying he had no Oline or talent. The facts show he was surrounded with talent.
    Quote Quote