Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Peyton Manning Sweepstakes : Assessing the Competition

1. -31
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You're acting like Shanahan was purely a ground and pound guy back then. Fact of the matter is the Broncos ranked 7th, 9th, 13th and 7th in passing from 1995 to 1998 while Shanahan was the coordinator and Elway was the quarterback. Hell, the Redskins even this year with that Grossman/Beck monstrosity at QB still ranked #14 in the NFL in passing.

I think Shanahan's lack of success can be directly attributed to lack of quarterback. I don't see Manning being worried that Shanahan is not a good coach, I see him being more intrigued by what Shanahan did for John Elway than anything else.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    miami, fl
    Thanks / No Thanks

HATER

Quote Originally Posted by chadisawesome View Post
    z0eboy is missing the point. he can buy anywhere he wants, and he chose to buy in miami as a place he likes to go. he didn't buy a vacation place in san diego, or any other really nice area, he chose miami. so we already know he LIKES the miami area, and that's proven by the fact that he already owns a place here. we aren't saying he can't afford a place in san fransisco, we are saying that when dealing with non-football related matters, and just buying a place where he enjoys being, he chose miami.
    Wow, who in their right mind wouldn't want a house in Miami if your loaded with cash.

Remember people south florida was effected by the forclosure housing market worse than ANY OTHER CITY!!! I bet he got a SWEET deal and probably saved a couple million dollars buying a house down here.
    Quote Quote  

3. -33
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The Cardinals just hired Frank Reich as their QB coach.Reich was Manning's QB coach in Indianapolis. Not sure how this affects peyton's decision if at all, but it definitley adds to the discussion.
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    ESPN's NFL Live...hosted by Trey Wingo....is getting ready to do a roundtable discussion on "the best fit for Peyton Manning," I think Dlifer, Jaworski, Steve Young and others will be debating it.....coming right up.
    Quote Quote  

5. -35
    Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jaworski thinks Peyton's best fit is the Jets. Trent Dilfer says he cannot see Rex Ryan and Peyton Manning on the same team. Steve Young says he has to play for a coach that he gets along with, and have a good O-line in place. Jaworski thinks Eli would be fine with Peyton also being in NYC with him. Steve Young thinks Mike Shanahan would be the ideal coach for Peyton in Washington. Jaworski also thinks Miami could sell a lot of tickets if they got Peyton. Young thinks Steven Ross has the cash to bring in Peyton. Nobody seems to like Peyton playing in San Francisco. Young thinks Peyton already has decided where he wants to go and he is just biding his time. Steve Levy is now ruling out which teams are not interested in him....basically half the NFL teams who already have QB's. So bascially their guess is as good as ours.
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Isn't there a rule that you now have to spend up to like 98% (or some very high percentage) of the cap?

I ask because if so there's a question of whether the number you have to spend to would be the league wide cap or the maximum number you're allowed to spend after exercising the "Carry Over" provision. The reason this becomes relevant is because if the Redskins (or any team with a large surplus) commit to the larger number and then miss out on Peyton Manning (and/or other big free agents) they could find themselves in a situation where they basically have a million dollars and are then told to spend it all in the Dollar Store. The end effect of which would be to drive up the price of every free agent on the market and then saturate those teams going forward with a cap number too big for whatever the cap will be next year.

For that reason I think they won't have to spend to their own limit after exercising the Carry Over provision. I think it will be to a function of the league cap. But with a new CBA you never know how well these rules have been worked out.

If you do have to spend to the limit after exercising the Carry Over provision then I wouldn't expect the teams with the larger surpluses to exercise it. Teams like Miami with smaller surpluses would be much more likely to exercise the provision, imo.
    Quote Quote  

7. -37
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by z0eboy View Post
    I believe it doesn't matter one bit, the guy is loaded with cash and can buy a house any where he wants... IMO
    You're missing his point. Sure MANNING can buy a home anywhere. But he has ALREADY bought one here. This was BEFORE the whole MANNING question arose. He obviously likes S.E. Florida, w/its climate and potentially zippo state and local taxes.
    Quote Quote  

8. -38
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Figured I'd bump this now we know he's been released... Another 2 contenders would probably be the chiefs - strong foundations, good fanbase, good weapons (bowe,charles), pieces on defences, a bit like Miami however Cassel's contract and Pioli's relationship with him could come into play... And seattle - Not necessarily the best team but they have a lot of cap space... Strong defence, one of the best fan bases in the league.. Could be 2 other possiblities.

Still think Miami has got the best chance, as long as Ross doesn't **** it up.
    Quote Quote