Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Giants explited loopholes on way to SB victory...

1. -11
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    mustard burp.

Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Solution. In the last two minutes of a half, for any defensive penalty, no time is to be elapsed, and the clock is re-set to where it was before the play.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i deff dont think the giants did it on purpose, but your right, it is a loophole and something has to be done about it in general.

if offenses are penalized a 10 second run off for a penalty that would stop the clock usually with under 1 minute to go i believe it is, then it should be vice versa on defense that if a defense commits a penalty that is accepted clock should be put back to where the play began.

i dont think the giants did it on purpose, but in general, teams may do this now if they see the pay off. trading a few yards for 10 secs plus off the clock is worth it any time in that situation
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 911972 Dolphins Logo
    What they did was within the rules, not like the Patriots video taping that was against the rules. If that's the way the rules are, you exploit them until they change it. Just like Bradshaw should have stopped on the one yard line. They exploited the way the clock runs; you may not like it, but it's nothing wrong with it. I agree with the Buddy Ryan premise; if you are going to be penalized for too many men on the field, better to have 15 instead of 12. Make sure they don't accomplish anything. Just like faking injuries, the penalty is your guy is out for the next play. If you want to risk losing that guy for a play, then you do it, simple. Just like sending in a scrub in the NBA to foul Shaq and make him shoot free throws. If he fouls out, so what, it's the risk you take.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    in my house
    Thanks / No Thanks
    There are many many loopholes in the NFL rules. For instance holding calls against the offense gets the offense another down but if the QB is sacked no do over on the play. This encourages holding - advantage for cheating or creating a penalty. That's one example off the top of my head.

Why a free play for defensive offside? Too much of an advantage for "misdemeanor". If offside on defense play is dead automatically.

Or defensive holding as a free first down - it should be a 10 yard penalty with the down over.

So on the one hand there should NEVER be an advantage for committing a penalty, and on the other hand the penalty must fit the crime. To me these flaws in the rules ruin the game.

That said I say it is good the Giants did because the flaws are there, for now, for the picking. They took advantage. And as you so clearly documented, for those smart enough to look for it see how they did it and realize it needs to be adjusted.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I wish we had a coaching staff smart enough to take advantage of such loopholes, especially against the cheatriots.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 911972 Dolphins Logo
    What about fixing spiking the ball which is actually intentional grounding? Never understood why the refs will not call this?
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    not sure how it's the giants fault that brady did a quick snap catching them with 12 on the field.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You can't reset the playclock if you're also going to give them the advantage of a free play. The reason Tom Brady snapped the ball while the 12th man was running off the field was so he can take a big shot without worry of a turnover. If you want the time on the clock, the play needs to be whistled dead before the free play begins. This will slow down some of the fast tempo offenses we've been seeing in the nfl. I personally like these fast tempo'd offenses so I don't think calling the play dead is a good rule change.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
    I wish we had a coaching staff smart enough to take advantage of such loopholes, especially against the cheatriots.
    Honestly, Don Shula had many tricks up his sleeve

I am too young so I wasn't there, but I have read that Shula would tell the grounds crews to leave the field uncovered before a big game, so that the field would get muddy and would help the Dolphins in the running game

it's true, would be nice to have someone do these things for us nowadays.
    Quote Quote