Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: California legalizes same-sex marriage; Proposition 8 overturned

1. -11
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    I was unaware that anyone had a "Constitutional right to wed", much less gay people. States grant marriage licenses, not the federal government.
    if you want to take away all the advantages under the law married couples get, then maybe this point would make sense. Because as of now, its blatantly incorrect.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    this (non complete) list is what makes this a constitutional issue

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...its-30190.html
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    The Ghost

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    As of right now, the federal government has no jurisdiction over marriage of any kind. If the Supreme Court legalizes it or the Constitution is ammended to ban it, it would give the federal government jurisdiction over marriage, which they definitely should not have. If California wants to legalize it, that's their deal. This power should in no way, shape, or form be given to the federal government.

Valandui's Weekly Music Video

Black Crown Initiate: Withering Waves
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlqJA1Rteio
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Valandui View Post
    As of right now, the federal government has no jurisdiction over marriage of any kind. If the Supreme Court legalizes it or the Constitution is ammended to ban it, it would give the federal government jurisdiction over marriage, which they definitely should not have. If California wants to legalize it, that's their deal. This power should in no way, shape, or form be given to the federal government.
    I agree, but states still have a constitutional (federal) duty for equal protection under the law.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The states should decide by voting on it. If the public wants the changes and agrees, it should be OK.
    The federal government should stay out.
    What bothers me is when the courts over turn the will of the people. That is a slippery slope.
    Another things is the special protected class that they seek. I don't agree.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    The Ghost

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WSE View Post
    I agree, but states still have a constitutional (federal) duty for equal protection under the law.
    I feel that this is strictly a state issue. When it really gets down to it, I don't feel that government at any level should be involved in marriage at all. It's a contract between you and God. Why should any government be involved?
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LANGER72 View Post
    The states should decide by voting on it. If the public wants the changes and agrees, it should be OK.
    What bothers me is when the courts over turn the will of the people. That is a slippery slope.
    what stops a majority from voting away the rights of a minority in your opinion?

Groupthink voting for constitutional issues makes no sense since the rights are guaranteed under the constitution.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Valandui View Post
    I feel that this is strictly a state issue. When it really gets down to it, I don't feel that government at any level should be involved in marriage at all. It's a contract between you and God. Why should any government be involved?
    its not between you and god only- the list I posted of the legal benefits proves that. There are both state and federal benefits given to married couples.

you take those benefits away and its a different issue- then it is status only.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LANGER72 View Post
    "Will of the people" would have lead to women still not able to vote, as well as continued segregation. Sometimes, the will of the people is exactly the opposite of what is right...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WSE View Post
    what stops a majority from voting away the rights of a minority in your opinion?

Groupthink voting for constitutional issues makes no sense since the rights are guaranteed under the constitution.
    Which amendment guarantees the right of marriage, straight or gay? This should be interesting.
    Quote Quote