Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How much to trade up for RGIII?

1. -21
    Pro Bowl Kicker

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Indiana
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I've never liked trading up and mortgaging future draft picks. The player you're trading up for better be a stud if you invest so much in him. I've always preferred BPA, or if the value isn't there, trading down for more value. The Patriots do it well almost every damn year. As long as you hit on the majority of your extra picks, it is a strategy that is hard to beat.

I'm willing to bet this new regime will covet all of their picks and hope to build a team more in line with their philosophies. It's hard to put a stamp on a team with just one player, even if it is a possible franchise qb. The ideal situation for Miami would be to acquire your possible franchise qb through free agency (likely Flynn or Manning) and use your draft picks to shore up whatever the front office then presumes to be our greatest needs or BPA.

If Miami misses on Flynn and Manning, or doesn't want them, then the scenario of moving up for RGIII becomes more plausible, but no less expensive. I would still say Miami should hope RGIII falls a few spots and then attempts a trade up, or waits until next year for their franchise qb while addressing other key positions while rolling with Matt Moore or whomever then is affordable at qb. I'm sure Miami's new staff is already under great pressure to come out strong, but a losing season with Moore or someone else at qb next year would be tolerable as long as Miami hits on other players in this year's draft.

If I had to guess right now, I'd say we go after Manning, then failing that, go after Flynn. I bet we take BPA at 8 or 9 (whoever wins the coin toss).
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    The world is your's...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    LI, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JDOE View Post
    I've never liked trading up and mortgaging future draft picks. The player you're trading up for better be a stud if you invest so much in him. I've always preferred BPA, or if the value isn't there, trading down for more value. The Patriots do it well almost every damn year. As long as you hit on the majority of your extra picks, it is a strategy that is hard to beat.

I'm willing to bet this new regime will covet all of their picks and hope to build a team more in line with their philosophies. It's hard to put a stamp on a team with just one player, even if it is a possible franchise qb. The ideal situation for Miami would be to acquire your possible franchise qb through free agency (likely Flynn or Manning) and use your draft picks to shore up whatever the front office then presumes to be our greatest needs or BPA.

If Miami misses on Flynn and Manning, or doesn't want them, then the scenario of moving up for RGIII becomes more plausible, but no less expensive. I would still say Miami should hope RGIII falls a few spots and then attempts a trade up, or waits until next year for their franchise qb while addressing other key positions while rolling with Matt Moore or whomever then is affordable at qb. I'm sure Miami's new staff is already under great pressure to come out strong, but a losing season with Moore or someone else at qb next year would be tolerable as long as Miami hits on other players in this year's draft.

If I had to guess right now, I'd say we go after Manning, then failing that, go after Flynn. I bet we take BPA at 8 or 9 (whoever wins the coin toss).
    Honestly "rolling with Matt Moore" and going BPA at 8 or 9 is just begging for another brutally mediocre season. I got news for you, the teams who do trade down all the time (and do it with great success) have been teams like the Pats and Colts who could afford to do so because they already had their franchise QB. We don't have the same luxury. It's time for us to make a splash. If we know that Manning can play then I'm all about signing him, but I'd rather make a move for RG3. We pick up Grubbs, Mario Williams and a cheap OLB in FA, then trade up for RG3, we got a good shot at winning now. IMO we have GOOD ENOUGH playmakers on offense with Marshall, Bush and Bess if utilized properly, and all that we really need is a QB, a tweaked OL and another pass rusher to be a solid competitor. Obviously we could use a seam tight end and a playmaking safety as well, but u can't have everything.

"I don't have pet peeves, I have psychotic ****ing hatred"
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    How much? Thats easy too much
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If you just look at the trade-up value chart which was used by Jimmy Johnson, a 3rd overall pick is worth around 2400 points.....to move up from the 8th/9th spot to first we basically would have to give Minnesota our 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 6th round picks this year. If we can't get Flynn or Manning, I would be willing to give up these picks for RG3...we also could possibly defer one of these picks that we give to Minny to the 2013 draft.

The Vikings trading down with the Dolphins could realistically net them the Dolphins' first-round pick.....either eighth overall (1,400) or ninth overall (1,350) ....as well as picks in the second (about 500), third (about 230), fifth (about 38) and sixth (about 24) rounds. The Dolphins also could opt to trade a higher pick next season rather than give up four picks in the second through sixth rounds.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Money is Power

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JDOE View Post
    Its easy to get the BPA when you have Brady. We may need to trade up to get our Brady. I would not want to do it for any other position other than QB.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    miami, fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Lets trade our entire draft ala ricky williams!
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Chesterfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I'd not trade away 2 first round picks for him.....we did that for Ricky some years ago and it set us behind for years.

Ozzy rules!!
    That and the yatil greens, jamar fletchers, Ted ginns.......

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    The world is your's...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    LI, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Like I said, if we get 2 big impact free agents FOR EXAMPLE Desean Jackson and Mario Williams, I would do absolutely whatever it took to get RG3. I know it's far fetched but it's about ****ing time that we make some noise!
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Doesnt play well with others

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    In a Van down by the rive
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dol-phan007 View Post
    Its easy to get the BPA when you have Brady. We may need to trade up to get our Brady. I would not want to do it for any other position other than QB.

True true Irony in this post....soooo much irony!

Remind me, how many firsts did the Patriots give up to get Brady again?

Are you saying RGIII is going to be as good as Brady?
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I had a dream last night that we traded up for RG3. It seemed pretty real.
    Quote Quote