Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fins sitting pretty on $15.8 mil cap space

1. -21
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Am I in the cap space forum? I thought I clicked on a different one.

Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by umpalu View Post
    Am I in the cap space forum? I thought I clicked on a different one.
    Would you like me to move it?

Quote Quote  

3. -23
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Would you like me to move it?
    No just being a pain Its all good!
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Omar's accounting is good but I think his declaration that last year's salary cap was $123.4 million is a misleading figure. Omar neglected to stipulate that the cap was actually $120.4 million with up to $3 million you could add to your salary cap by "borrowing" against future salary caps. As part of the new CBA, the NFL allowed teams individually to borrow up to $3 million from future caps to add onto their 2011 spending limit, in order to ease the transition back to a salary cap environment. The NFL also allows teams to "borrow" up to $2 million this year to pump up their 2012 spending limits as needed.

So, if the salary cap from 2011 remains unchanged in 2012 at $120.4 million, the Dolphins actually have about $13 million in salary cap space, about $5 million of which needs to go to rookies. The Dolphins seem to have designs on the remaining $7-8 million at the quarterback position. If they need to, they can "borrow" an additional $2 million from future years.

The Dolphins could open up about $4.5 million of cap space by releasing Yeremiah Bell. But that creates a liability at the safety position and if you're signing a Reggie Nelson then basically that may end up a zero-sum game. You release Bell, sign Reggie Nelson, and you're back to where you started from a salary cap standpoint.

They could release Tyrone Culver and that would free up nearly $1 million. Ryan Cook's release could free up $1 million. Jake Long currently has a cap figure of about $12-13 million that could be reduced by maybe around $2 million or so if he gets a new deal. But then, if you do that, what about Cameron Wake who accounts for less than $1 million on the current salary cap and if you gave him the deal he wants then he'll account for more like $5-6 million at the least? And what about Paul Soliai? You can release Tony McDaniel, which will save you $3 million, but it will take an additional $3-4 million on top of that to re-sign Soliai.

Overall given the Dolphins' needs, I think you could sign Matt Flynn, sign a cheap veteran at Defensive End like Raheem Brock, cut Yeremiah Bell, Tyrone Culver, Ryan Cook and Tony McDaniel, restructure Jake Long, re-sign Paul Soliai and sign a Reggie Nelson...and then Draft the rest to fill holes. That might be feasible. You'd have to leave Cam Wake sitting out in the cold though, ensuring that you're franchising him in 2013. I don't like that. I'd rather be fair to him and pay him. But it could be necessary.
    Last edited by ckparrothead; 02-13-2012 at 01:06 PM.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    2nd base going on 3rd

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Far Far away
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wisefin View Post
    http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...ce-free-agents

So many possibilities this off-season. Where do we spend this money? Should we even spend the money just for the sake of it? Do we focus more on offense or defense? Will QB be the highest paid addition to the team? Should it be? Who do we say goodbye to and let test free agency? They're many questions yet to be answered, but in that uncertainty should at least give you some comfort that for better or worse...the Miami Dolphins will be a different football team in 2012-13.
    Damn I love your sig!!
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    It's never the best plan to reach for a player simply because it's a position of need, outside of the most important position in football (Tannehill comes to mind). The only lineman worth even discussing at that pick is DeCastro. Further, our pass rush is just as much of a need, if not more.

A RG and/or RT can be found later in the draft and/or through FA. It doesn't take much to replace Colombo, just a little homework on the players available, which may be too much to ask of Ireland.
    That's the lust for a skilled player position talking. Fact is, if we sign a QB through free agency before the draft, it would be a shock to me that they go any other place outside of OL. I understand you don't wanna draft need, plus our certain history with a so called O-line guru. But we have to make an investment and get more athletic on the right side of the line. It would fix a glaring need immediately. I just want a dominant offensive line...helps in both the pass and run game.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    what can BROWN do for you?!?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    KC, MO.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cap's shieldXbox Logo
Gift received at 04-02-2014, 04:14 PM from DisturbedShiftyTannehill 172013 Dolphins LogoDolphins Homer
    The nice thing about our owner is that he has no problem spending every bit of this cap space if needed.

Quote Quote  

8. -28
    what can BROWN do for you?!?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    KC, MO.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cap's shieldXbox Logo
Gift received at 04-02-2014, 04:14 PM from DisturbedShiftyTannehill 172013 Dolphins LogoDolphins Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    Omar's accounting is good but I think his declaration that last year's salary cap was $123.4 million is a misleading figure. Omar neglected to stipulate that the cap was actually $120.4 million with up to $3 million you could add to your salary cap by "borrowing" against future salary caps. As part of the new CBA, the NFL allowed teams individually to borrow up to $3 million from future caps to add onto their 2011 spending limit, in order to ease the transition back to a salary cap environment. The NFL also allows teams to "borrow" up to $2 million this year to pump up their 2012 spending limits as needed.
    Are you suggesting, sir, that Omar is wrong about something?
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Damn SugarBowl

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    if they get the cap to 25 mil i hope the bring in:

1. Quarterback
    2. Pass Rusher
    3. Right Tackle
    4. Free Safety
    5. Corner
    6. Tight End
    7. Wide Receiver
    8. Guard
    9. Strong Safety
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiko377 View Post
    we should take a nice look at mario williams along with flynn/rg3/peyton for our qb situation

dont really want to sign wake to a extension want him to prove himself this year as well i dont really think the FO knows how to give a extension yet due to one excellent year and one good/meh year

we shouldnt spend just to spend we have key players for OUR team becoming free agents after this current year like R.Bush, C.Wake
    This senario is not going to happen. You get one or the other. Wake is worth the extension. Nothing to prove. With no real pass rusher on the other side of him defenses could tee off on him. That will take any players #s down.
    Quote Quote