Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Calling all Parents (past, present, & future)

1. -1
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo

Calling all Parents (past, present, & future)

How do you plan to educate your children about drugs? Or how did you educate your children about drugs? Do you agree, or disagree with Terence? How were YOU educated about drugs?

I think the "all drugs are bad" angle is one founded in good intentions and concern, but eventually they're going to find out that that's not true. My mom & father never really talked to me or educated me about drugs, only physically threatened me if they ever found I was using. Meanwhile my father struggled with Alcoholism for much of my formative years; I found this very hypocritical. I don't blame them though, their own sophistication about drugs is very limited at best, and propaganda fueled.

I first smoked Cannabis at 18 during my Senior year of High-School. Up until that point I had been inoculated with the propaganda that my parents and the D.A.R.E program had instilled in me.

After experiencing this, I wanted to know what else they had been lying to me about. This fueled an intense fascination with educating myself about all the types of drugs. I learned which are destructive and bring no benefit to the user, and which, if used properly, could be mind expanding and beneficial.

I use Cannabis daily (because it works for me), I'll drink a Heineken on occasion, and I'll do a psychedelic maybe once a year. I did the research though, many kids & young adults, once they find out the Gov. is a bad source of information about drugs, use them without doing any independent research, or simply not knowing where to look for the information; & I've seen a couple of former classmates get caught up in ecstasy, xanax, cocaine, among other things, without truly knowing the risk's involved, or that they didn't feel they could seek help without tremendous social back-lash, instead of support.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Are you gonna drink that?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    I blame Nancy Reagan.
    2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1

"The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    I blame Nancy Reagan.
    There might actually be some truth to that!
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I educate my son the same way I always have, I talk to him about drugs as an adult. I show him what addiction can cause and has caused. Watching Video of someone's leg getting sawed off from Krokdil abuse has a profound affect.

So do the death of a celebrity, from Michele to Whitney it is all a point in case about how no one, no matter how strong, how talented or how much money you have can beat an addiction with out help. It is hard enough to beat a simple addiction like nicotine which isn't that simple.

I don't know dude my honest advice to you about how to raise and educate a child is this - no one child is the same and we are all unique as individuals so this notion that someone writes a book about the correct way to raise and educate a child is complete hogwash. Every child needs to be tailored to fit their needs.

Go with your gut but keep your heart out of it enough to make a sound decision.
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote