Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: They're back!!!

1. -1
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    hoboken, nj
    Thanks / No Thanks

They're back!!!

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/spor...g_off_w_1.html

looking forward to their coverage again this year

i especially like the info on whom the dolphins will have met with this year.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Another fairly good piece that did a decent job of summarizing where Miami is and where they've been. However, there's one thing that I disagree with, have always disagreed with, and will continue to disagree with no matter how many people don't realize it.... and that is an effort MUST be made to upgrade Miami's 3rd receiver spot. Davone Bess MUST be upgraded.

Miami needs more production from this position in regards to points. Davone Bess cannot score like you need him to. This is a guy who's played 64 games and only scored 11 TD's. He only averages a smidge over 10 yards per catch for his career.

260 career receptions, and only 1 that's broke the 40 yard mark.

I tried to tell CK last year that Bess will never score 5 TD's again in his life, and I'll still say it.

Here's the point though. If I were in charge of the Miami's personnel, I would find somebody who I view as a potential upgrade for that position. While also upgrading my punt return unit. I'm searching for a guy who's going to give me that mismatch out of the slot, and can score TD's for me. I need a guy who can take those quick slants and turn them into chunk plays and points. But also a guy who's a threat to put 6 on the board for me when I stick him back there to return punts.

Upgrading my punt return unit is going to be done by killing two birds with one stone, so to speak, by also upgrading my 3rd (slot) receiver, or by drafting a DB who also brings some outstanding return skills. Either way, I'm making it a priority.

I can agree with the notion that WR isn't a need in the 1st round for Miami, but as I've said before, I'd draft a guy like Joe Adams, T.Y. Hilton, Lavon Brazill, Eric Page, etc., who are all prospects that I've been fond of for a couple years for the most part, as an upgrade over Davone Bess. I want to give myself a legitimate shot at having an explosive offense.

Moving on to the OT's mentioned here, I've never really subscribed to the theory that Matt Kalil is as good as he's made out to be, although he's probably the best prospect in this subpar class, I'm not convinced he'll be the best in the long run. Mike Adams looks like the most natural left tackle out of all of them to me, and the guy most capable of being a completely dominant player at the next level if he shores up some technique issues.

Cordy Glenn is another who I'm really impressed with on film at left tackle, although he's not an ideal fit there in the NFL. I was actually surprised that the more I looked over his games, the better he looked to me as a prospect.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    I Don't Play . .That's Y I Failed P.E.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Liquordale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nintendo LogoDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    Another fairly good piece that did a decent job of summarizing where Miami is and where they've been. However, there's one thing that I disagree with, have always disagreed with, and will continue to disagree with no matter how many people don't realize it.... and that is an effort MUST be made to upgrade Miami's 3rd receiver spot. Davone Bess MUST be upgraded.

Miami needs more production from this position in regards to points. Davone Bess cannot score like you need him to. This is a guy who's played 64 games and only scored 11 TD's. He only averages a smidge over 10 yards per catch for his career.

I tried to tell CK last year that Bess will never score 5 TD's again in his life, and I'll still say it.

Here's the point though. If I were in charge of the Miami's personnel, I would find somebody who I view as a potential upgrade for that position. While also upgrading my punt return unit. I'm searching for a guy who's going to give me that mismatch out of the slot, and can score TD's for me. I need a guy who can take those quick slants and turn them into chunk plays and points. But also a guy who's a threat to put 6 on the board for me when I stick him back there to return punts.

Upgrading my punt return unit is going to be done by killing two birds with one stone, so to speak, by also upgrading my 3rd (slot) receiver, or by drafting a DB who also brings some outstanding return skills. Either way, I'm making it a priority.

I can agree with the notion that WR isn't a need in the 1st round for Miami, but as I've said before, I'd draft a guy like Joe Adams, T.Y. Hilton, Lavon Brazill, Eric Page, etc., who are all prospects that I've been fond of for a couple years for the most part, as an upgrade over Davone Bess. I want to give myself a legitimate shot at having an explosive offense.

Moving on to the OT's mentioned here, I've never really subscribed to the theory that Matt Kalil is as good as he's made out to be, although he's probably the best prospect in this subpar class, I'm not convinced he'll be the best in the long run. Mike Adams looks like the most natural left tackle out of all of them to me, and the guy most capable of being a completely dominant player at the next level if he shores up some technique issues.

Cordy Glenn is another who I'm really impressed with on film at left tackle, although he's not an ideal fit there in the NFL. I was actually surprised that the more I looked over his games, the better he looked to me as a prospect.
    I could live all day with Reggie Bush in the slot and drafting Trent Richardson #9 with Daniel Thomas as the backup RB (or even in a trade). I agree alot with Bess not being "explosive enough" but part of me wonders if Welker and Bess switched places would Davone be a machine in the slot. I mean Wes isn't faster than Bess, you'd have to give him the benefit of the doubt on route running but Bess is not a slouch either and he is shifty and has the reliable hands another guy may not have.

I was intrigued with Golden Tate some when he came out, as an explosive slot option, and after watching Eddie Royal and now Victor Cruz, its just seems having a faster guy in the slot is becomming more and more important to the success of an elite passing offense.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdawg954 View Post
    I could live all day with Reggie Bush in the slot and drafting Trent Richardson #9 with Daniel Thomas as the backup RB (or even in a trade). I agree alot with Bess not being "explosive enough" but part of me wonders if Welker and Bess switched places would Davone be a machine in the slot. I mean Wes isn't faster than Bess, you'd have to give him the benefit of the doubt on route running but Bess is not a slouch either and he is shifty and has the reliable hands another guy may not have.

I was intrigued with Golden Tate some when he came out, as an explosive slot option, and after watching Eddie Royal and now Victor Cruz, its just seems having a faster guy in the slot is becomming more and more important to the success of an elite passing offense.

Wes Welker plays faster than Davone Bess. There may not be much difference between the two in terms of timed speed on a stopwatch, but Welker plays faster. Welker is really a special player when you get right down to it. I don't think Davone Bess is a special player no matter the situation. I think he's been a decent as a UDFA for a franchise like Miami who typically drafts poorly, which is why he chose to come here, and was able to carve out a niche for himself as a pro in the first place.

I think the issue finally reaches it's climax when you're having articles written about you telling you to keep your head up, because you can't get the football thrown to you... because you're just not capable of beating other team's LB's and nickel DB's, which is a position that's getting stronger and stronger in the NFL due to necessity. Bess had pieces like this written for him back during the season.

If you look at teams like the Giants, who's 3rd receiver is Mario Manningham... teams like the Steelers who's 3rd receiver is a guy like Antonio Brown (used to be Mike Wallace), teams like Green Bay, Atlanta with Harry Douglass, etc., etc.. you'll see that the 3rd receiver role is one that requires speed to be an explosive offense.

Nickel DB's are getting faster and more athletic. Thus requiring team's 3rd receivers to be faster and more athletic to keep up.

You're always looking to improve your roster, and that means fan favorites need competition too. If you're content and not getting better in this business, you're getting worse. You're going to get passed in a hurry.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post

As to WR, I agree about Bess, but you're happy with our #2WR- Hartline? The guy is decent, that's the best that I can say. Maybe a #4 or #5 on some teams. I have high hopes for Clyde Gates, but that's what they are at this point- hopes.

Gates and Joe Adams would solve the speed problem- add Fleener at TE and now you're cooking with gas. Bess is what he is- a good but small and very slow slot WR and a subpar punt returner. He's a gamer, but if Joe Adams is available in the 3rd rd- bring it on.

1. DeCastro

2. Weeden

3. Joe Adams

4. Take your pick of who's available in a deep OT class: Massie/Mosely/Bergstrom/McCants/Reynolds/Allen
    Quote Quote  

6. -6

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
    As to WR, I agree about Bess, but you're happy with our #2WR- Hartline? The guy is decent, that's the best that I can say. Maybe a #4 or #5 on some teams. I have high hopes for Clyde Gates, but that's what they are at this point- hopes.

Gates and Joe Adams would solve the speed problem- add Fleener at TE and now you're cooking with gas. Bess is what he is- a good but small and very slow slot WR and a subpar punt returner. He's a gamer, but if Joe Adams is available in the 3rd rd- bring it on.

1. DeCastro

2. Weeden

3. Joe Adams

4. Take your pick of who's available in a deep OT class: Massie/Mosely/Bergstrom/McCants/Reynolds/Allen

I wouldn't say that I'm happy about Hartline, but he's at least capable of lining up outside the numbers and making plays against man coverage against NFL DB's, even big plays down the field. I've always thought that people just expect too much out of Hartline.

What I need is the guy that gives me the mismatch out of the slot. I need a guy who I'm forced to get the ball to in that role, not one that I need to make excuses as for why I'm not.

It doesn't matter if it's the TE who's basically an overgrown wide receiver giving me the mismatch in the slot (which I've begged for years), or whether it's a legitimate weapon at the receiver position out of the slot. Either way, I need that in my offense.

Even better if I can have both. I can line my athletic TE up out at the X position and run some X-iso on a smaller CB, and have my dangerous slot receiver lined up at the Y on a linebacker or nickel DB. I then have two mismatches in my favor. The only way you're going to stop me from getting chunk plays and compiling 1st downs is to get pressure on my quarterback.

Speaking of quarterback, I'm probably going to need one of those too.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Gates has the potential to be the exact guy Slimm is talking about, but it seems to me he's more being groomed (or at least was) to take over for Hartline on the outside. Or maybe they just only played him out there because it's simpler mentally.

I tend to think Slimm is right on this one. Too often I saw Bess locked down with relative ease last season, even on plays where they were emptying out the middle of the field and giving him option routes. One prediction that might be relatively safe to make is that -- outside improved quarterback play -- if we become a dynamic offense next year it'll be because Gates has taken a big leap in his play. Not Victor Cruz big, but something of that kind.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Canandaigua,NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Bess is a chain mover and thats it.Theres no doubt we need a #2/3 wr and theres alot of good FA WR's this year.The 1 thing im curious on is could Hartline play the slot?
    Quote Quote  

9. -9

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Gates has the potential to be the exact guy Slimm is talking about, but it seems to me he's more being groomed (or at least was) to take over for Hartline on the outside. Or maybe they just only played him out there because it's simpler mentally.

I tend to think Slimm is right on this one. Too often I saw Bess locked down with relative ease last season, even on plays where they were emptying out the middle of the field and giving him option routes. One prediction that might be relatively safe to make is that -- outside improved quarterback play -- if we become a dynamic offense next year it'll be because Gates has taken a big leap in his play. Not Victor Cruz big, but something of that kind.

That's a good point. I think Gates is the guy they hope developes into the role of being more of a legitimate option lined up outside as opposed to inside (slot). The issue with Gates that I tried to get across last year to everyone (even though some insisted that he was further along than he really was) is that he had almost no experience running routes off a stem. All he did was catch bubble screens or run streaks, with an occassional crossing route thrown in.

He had no idea how to set a DB up with his route running and create seperation for himself by doing the little things, like getting a DB to turn his hips the wrong way, etc. You're not going to learn how to run crisp routes and explode in and out of breaks by sinking your hips against man coverage if you never run routes off a stem. He was raw as a turnip.

Gates was always going to require 3 full years of experience and coaching in the NFL before Miami would really be able to assess what they have with him, and what he's capable of becoming. I thought he was a great pick, and I think he'll contribute more and more as he developes... and I don't say that about many players.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This begs the question: If we draft a replacement, what do we do with Bess? What is his trade value?
    Insert pithy saying here.

Quote Quote