Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: They're back!!!

1. -11
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lah, lah land
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Would R.Broyles in the 3rd not be a fantastic slot guy, he seems like a Welker type?
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdandinches View Post
    Would R.Broyles in the 3rd not be a fantastic slot guy, he seems like a Welker type?
    He blew out his knee. I think that Joe Adams would be a heck of a fit for us in that slot role in the 3rd round. Plus the guy is just a tremndous kick returner.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think the reality is and has always been that Davone Bess is Miami's #2 wide receiver not its #3 wide receiver. If you look this year, Hartline ran 454 routes to Bess' 406 routes, but he was targeted only 66 times to Davone's 79 times.

If you're going to bring up the Green Bay situation, they have a very similar player there in Donald Driver who is even less explosive than Bess. If anything I'd like to see an upgrade at #2 wide receiver with Davone Bess bumped down more cleanly to #3, which is exactly what happened in Green Bay this year with the emergence of Jordy Nelson.

I never have and never will deny that the Dolphins' receiver situation can still use some work. But I'm not prioritizing it at the highest levels UNTIL we get a quarterback, and we're sure that the offensive system we have is going to be the offensive system we keep for quite a while. Both of those things really go hand in hand because getting the quarterback gives you the stability and foundation to build your system. We may have found the system we're running but we still need the quarterback.

In a most recent mock draft I suggested the Dolphins use a draft pick on Ryan Broyles or Joe Adams. Why? Because I don't really think the Dolphins are good to go with this receivers unit. We're going to have a new, unfamiliar system, and a new quarterback, and somewhere along the way at least one of these receivers is just not going to be meshing well. That's where you'd like to have a home grown system guy waiting in the wings and ready to step in.

But as for which guy isn't getting it, I'm not sure on that. I'm still inclined to take that bet on 5 TDs at some point in Davone's career. He scored another 3 TDs this year and our QB situation still isn't very good.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    I think the reality is and has always been that Davone Bess is Miami's #2 wide receiver not its #3 wide receiver. If you look this year, Hartline ran 454 routes to Bess' 406 routes, but he was targeted only 66 times to Davone's 79 times.

If you're going to bring up the Green Bay situation, they have a very similar player there in Donald Driver who is even less explosive than Bess. If anything I'd like to see an upgrade at #2 wide receiver with Davone Bess bumped down more cleanly to #3, which is exactly what happened in Green Bay this year with the emergence of Jordy Nelson.

I never have and never will deny that the Dolphins' receiver situation can still use some work. But I'm not prioritizing it at the highest levels UNTIL we get a quarterback, and we're sure that the offensive system we have is going to be the offensive system we keep for quite a while. Both of those things really go hand in hand because getting the quarterback gives you the stability and foundation to build your system. We may have found the system we're running but we still need the quarterback.

In a most recent mock draft I suggested the Dolphins use a draft pick on Ryan Broyles or Joe Adams. Why? Because I don't really think the Dolphins are good to go with this receivers unit. We're going to have a new, unfamiliar system, and a new quarterback, and somewhere along the way at least one of these receivers is just not going to be meshing well. That's where you'd like to have a home grown system guy waiting in the wings and ready to step in.

But as for which guy isn't getting it, I'm not sure on that. I'm still inclined to take that bet on 5 TDs at some point in Davone's career. He scored another 3 TDs this year and our QB situation still isn't very good.
    That's an interesting point about Driver v Bess in terms of explosion, but I'll confess that my first thought was, "What?"

Driver isn't exactly a burner, but Bess is s-l-o-w. Not that I don't like the little guy and his quicks and competetiveness, but I'm not sure that I get the Driver comparison. I pulled a video for the heck of it- showing it here just for the release they show on replay at :30. I'd be thrilled if Bess released like that. Maybe I' wrong on this one, sure wouldn't be the first time, but Drivers' releases have looked pretty good to me over the years while bess is just- slow. Quick but slow.

Joe Adams solves the problems/deficiencies created by Bess imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYCmn...eature=related

ps it was nice to see the strong stance on Weeden in the Sun Sentinel today- if he isn't one of the best QBs out there with one of the best arms that I've seen in a while, and a good and smart guy to boot, then I'm looking at things the wrong way for sure. But I know what I see, and I see one hell of a good Quarterback. Dude was dead on- he's a top 3 talent in terms of pure NFL ability. He is THE answer and would be a steal for us in the 2nd rd- if he lasts that long.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    Another fairly good piece that did a decent job of summarizing where Miami is and where they've been. However, there's one thing that I disagree with, have always disagreed with, and will continue to disagree with no matter how many people don't realize it.... and that is an effort MUST be made to upgrade Miami's 3rd receiver spot. Davone Bess MUST be upgraded.

Miami needs more production from this position in regards to points. Davone Bess cannot score like you need him to. This is a guy who's played 64 games and only scored 11 TD's. He only averages a smidge over 10 yards per catch for his career.

260 career receptions, and only 1 that's broke the 40 yard mark.

I tried to tell CK last year that Bess will never score 5 TD's again in his life, and I'll still say it.

Here's the point though. If I were in charge of the Miami's personnel, I would find somebody who I view as a potential upgrade for that position. While also upgrading my punt return unit. I'm searching for a guy who's going to give me that mismatch out of the slot, and can score TD's for me. I need a guy who can take those quick slants and turn them into chunk plays and points. But also a guy who's a threat to put 6 on the board for me when I stick him back there to return punts.

Upgrading my punt return unit is going to be done by killing two birds with one stone, so to speak, by also upgrading my 3rd (slot) receiver, or by drafting a DB who also brings some outstanding return skills. Either way, I'm making it a priority.

I can agree with the notion that WR isn't a need in the 1st round for Miami, but as I've said before, I'd draft a guy like Joe Adams, T.Y. Hilton, Lavon Brazill, Eric Page, etc., who are all prospects that I've been fond of for a couple years for the most part, as an upgrade over Davone Bess. I want to give myself a legitimate shot at having an explosive offense.

Moving on to the OT's mentioned here, I've never really subscribed to the theory that Matt Kalil is as good as he's made out to be, although he's probably the best prospect in this subpar class, I'm not convinced he'll be the best in the long run. Mike Adams looks like the most natural left tackle out of all of them to me, and the guy most capable of being a completely dominant player at the next level if he shores up some technique issues.

Cordy Glenn is another who I'm really impressed with on film at left tackle, although he's not an ideal fit there in the NFL. I was actually surprised that the more I looked over his games, the better he looked to me as a prospect.
    Michael Floyd and Kendall Wright are two players Miami should consider in round 1. Wright would fit what you are looking for, Floyd could be a terror opposite Brandon Marshall. I guess I see receiver as a bigger need than most partly because you just never know with Marshall. I'm also a fan of Cordy Glenn and see him as a potential dominant right tackle.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SF Dolphin Fan View Post
    Michael Floyd and Kendall Wright are two players Miami should consider in round 1. Wright would fit what you are looking for, Floyd could be a terror opposite Brandon Marshall. I guess I see receiver as a bigger need than most partly because you just never know with Marshall. I'm also a fan of Cordy Glenn and see him as a potential dominant right tackle.

I've been legitimately sold on Michael Floyd's talent for a long time, and sold on Kendall Wright since his junior season. However, the difference between Kendall Wright and somebody like Joe Adams or Ryan Broyles is... I don't view Kendall Wright as being confined to strictly operating out of the slot. I think he has all the skills to be a dynamic weapon even in a #1 WR role eventually. A Steve Smith type skillset.

Cordy Glenn I've always thought was a really good player, but probably best suited at guard, with the ability to play some swing tackle for you if need be. But the more I watch of him, the better and better he got playing left tackle as the season went on. To the point of being one of the best I've seen out of this draft class.

I don't think he's the best left tackle prospect, simply because he doesn't have enough experience under his belt there, and it's not his natural position. A guy that weighs 340+ pounds typically isn't going to be a clean left tackle prospect. Weight is always going to be an issue for a guy who's 340+ in college. However, it wouldn't suprise me if Cordy Glenn ends up one of the better offensive lineman out of this draft in the long run, and ends up a better player than a couple of the more heralded and hyped tackle prospects.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post

What are you waiting on? I already told you a year ago to make it light on yourself and name the stakes....
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lah, lah land
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
    He blew out his knee. I think that Joe Adams would be a heck of a fit for us in that slot role in the 3rd round. Plus the guy is just a tremndous kick returner.
    And that matters why? He will recover and was one heck of a receiver before hand, if he didn't have the injury he'd be a top of the 2nd round pick.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdandinches View Post
    And that matters why? He will recover and was one heck of a receiver before hand, if he didn't have the injury he'd be a top of the 2nd round pick.
    3rd rd is to high for him after a recent major knee injury imo. I'm trying to think of similar recent examples and a WR out of UNC drafted by the Patriots come to mind, also O'Brien Schofield, OLB who went to the Eagles iirc. I'm guessing 5th rd for Broyles.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lah, lah land
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
    3rd rd is to high for him after a recent major knee injury imo. I'm trying to think of similar recent examples and a WR out of UNC drafted by the Patriots come to mind, also O'Brien Schofield, OLB who went to the Eagles iirc. I'm guessing 5th rd for Broyles.
    That's fine by me, he's a talented player, I'd take a chance on him even if it meant not really seeing what he can do until 2013.
    Quote Quote