Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Legalizing Drugs Won't Prevent Abuse

1. -11
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Again, the way the War on Drugs is sold to us is that it's for your own personal safety, so if we catch you on drugs... we're going to send you to jail...?

They couldn't give a **** about our health, over 400,000 Americans die every year from cigarettes (5 million Global).
    More deaths are caused each year by tobacco use than by all deaths from human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), illegal drug use, alcohol use, motor vehicle injuries, suicides, and murders combined.
    More American people die from Advil every year (6,000), than do Heroin (2,000), and Cocaine (1,000). In fact, if you look at the list of illegal narcotics, you'll find the more dangerous drugs like, heroin, cocaine, & methamphetamine's, are schedule 2 narcotics, where much less harmful (even harmLESS) drugs like psilocybin, DMT, and Cannabis, are schedule 1 narcotics. Go ****ing figure.

I don't know if you're familiar with DMT, but your brain produces it every night, and right before human death. It's produced by your pineal gland (aka, your "third eye"), located smack dab in the middle of your brain. It's responsible for human dreaming (if you didn't know); and yet, it too is more illegal than cocaine, meth, and heroin. Even though every human being uses it on a daily basis, and it's completely harmless.

I think that part of the reason that some of these mind expaning drugs like psilocybin, ayahuasca, DMT, and cannabis are more illegal than their clearly more dangerous counterparts, is because they are the harbingers of a set of ideals & values which are counter productive to the Consumerist based American economy.

I think another reason as to why it's illegal is because there are a lot of people in high places right now, enforcing the drug war, that might be out of a job if legalized. For instance, about 50% of the prison population is incarcerated on drug related charges (90% of those 50% are in there for USE related reasons, not distribution). So, if we have half as many prisoners, we might only need half as many prisons, and if we only have half as many prisons, we might only need half as many prison guards (sorry Goon), not to mention the DEA might not like to see that happen. Half the prisoners also means about half as much slave-labor.

The Pharmaceutical industry doesn't want to see this happen, particularly with marijuana, as they stand to possibly lose billions to alternative medicines, and you can already see the impact on the Pharm's pocket in places like California, where medical marijuana is available. Alcohol and Tobacco companies sure as **** don't want to see this happen, and do you know how I know? They, drug companies, SPONSOR THE PARTNERSHIP FOR A DRUG FREE AMERICA. & all these companies employ lobbyists to further their agenda; buying policy, the American way.

And, this is the great part, I haven't even talked about the economic sense it makes to legalize all drugs.

Jeffery Miron, a Harvard Economics Professor writes;
    In our recent study, just released by the Cato Institute, we estimate the impact of legalization on federal, state, and local budgets. The report concludes that drug legalization would reduce government expenditure about $41.3 billion annually. Roughly $25.7 billion of this savings would accrue to state and local governments, and roughly $15.6 billion to the federal government. About $8.7 billion of the savings would result from legalization of marijuana, $20 billion from legalization of cocaine and heroin, and $12.6 billion from legalization of all other drugs.

Legalization would also generate tax revenue of roughly $46.7 billion annually if drugs were taxed at rates comparable to those on alcohol and tobacco. About $8.7 billion of this revenue would result from legalization of marijuana, $32.6 billion from legalization of cocaine and heroin, and $5.5 billion from legalization of all other drugs.
    http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=12192

Not economically related, but he also writes
    Over the past two years, drug violence in Mexico has become a fixture of the daily news. Some of this violence pits drug cartels against one another; some involves confrontations between law enforcement and traffickers.

Recent estimates suggest thousands have lost their lives in this "war on drugs."

The U.S. and Mexican responses to this violence have been predictable: more troops and police, greater border controls and expanded enforcement of every kind. Escalation is the wrong response, however; drug prohibition is the cause of the violence.
    http://articles.cnn.com/2009-03-24/p..._s=PM:POLITICS

I think I'm just gonna save this to a word document so I don't have to keep retyping this.

Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    How many Americans take Advil? How many use heroin? Cocaine?

If 100 million Americans take Advil on a semi-regular basis with 6000 deaths, how does that compare to say if there are 3.5 million heroin users in the US with 2000 deaths? That arguement is flawed on so many levels, you should just leave that on the cutting room floor when you make your Word document.

I find it flawed also when people cite how European countries have had success in legalizing drugs (although how much success is debatable). The European culture is very different than over here. European cultures are looser, more liberal. Legalizing drugs wouldn't have the overall effect there that it would here.

Look at pre-prohibition. Obviously you can't legislate morality, but I could see why they wanted to. Prior to prohibition, our country was drowning in booze. So much so that even the Europeans made fun of us for our addiction to alcohol. They handle those types of substances better than we do. That's the main reason why I don't think legalizing the hard stuff is going to lead to lower use levels. I'm fine with legalizing MJ since it's harmless, but the harder stuff is incredibly destructive when abused. I think it will lead to a drug trade just like the RX black market.
    Insert pithy saying here.

Quote Quote  

3. -13
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The information the author cited regarding Portugal is so incorrect, I'm wondering if it's completely fabricated. 9954 and rob are correct, legalization in Portugal has been by-and-far a success. Drug usage is significantly lower in all age groups, as well as drug-related disease and death. Crime involving drugs has seen a significant decrease as well.

The author is correct in that it won't prevent abuse. It's the same way legalizing alcohol hasn't prevented abuse. There will always be people who abuse substances, regardless of what it is. What should be desired is the lowest rate possible. If the only basis of success is complete eradication, then the author will never see a success in anything he does, ever. It's an interesting Op-Ed though...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    How many Americans take Advil? How many use heroin? Cocaine?

If 100 million Americans take Advil on a semi-regular basis with 6000 deaths, how does that compare to say if there are 3.5 million heroin users in the US with 2000 deaths?
    Obviously Heroin is more toxic than advil, that's not what I'm arguing. I just don't buy the correlation the author tries to make between the availability of prescription drugs & it's deaths, and heroin & it's availability, for the exact same reasons you mentioned. 100 million Americans use advil with regularity, your not going to see a meteoric rise in uptake in heroin if legalized. In fact, I saw a study that something like more than 1/3 (maybe higher) of heroin users started before age 21. So those heroin users at 16, 17, 18, etc, might not have made the same choice at 21.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    I'm fine with legalizing MJ since it's harmless, but the harder stuff is incredibly destructive when abused. I think it will lead to a drug trade just like the RX black market.
    The only reason that there even is an RX black market is because I just can't walk into CVS and buy Xanax, I need a prescription, so I have to buy it from someone with access to it (who obviously jack up the prices for profit). If I had direct access to Xanax or whatever, there'd be no RX black market, because I can get it from the Gov. for cheaper.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    I've got to learn to tone it down with these drug topics.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    The only reason that there even is an RX black market is because I just can't walk into CVS and buy Xanax, I need a prescription, so I have to buy it from someone with access to it (who obviously jack up the prices for profit). If I had direct access to Xanax or whatever, there'd be no RX black market, because I can get it from the Gov. for cheaper.
    If the government all of a sudden made Oxy available without a prescription, the eastern half of my state would literally destroy itself. There are super high RX addiction rates in the mining communities of eastern KY. Not to mention some places with 70% disability rates (but that's for another thread).
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Finheaven Hall of Shame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hotel California
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The bit about medical MJ has more holes than one of Magellen's ships in the Pacific.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    cowboy surfer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Save us from the foolish drug warriors
    Quote Quote