Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Analyzing the Miami Dolphins' salary-cap figures:

1. -1
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Off the shoulder of Orion
    Thanks / No Thanks

Analyzing the Miami Dolphins' salary-cap figures:

Here is an article for us who have not really studied up on the cap:

According to official salary-cap information obtained by The Palm Beach Post, the Dolphins head into the free agency period - which begins at 4 p.m. March 13 - having already committed more than $116 million against next season's salary cap, which is expected to be about $123 million. That is an increase of about $3 million compared to last year.

While Marshall and Dansby are two of the Dolphins' best players, they still might be forced to restructure their contracts to give the Dolphins salary-cap relief.
    Because they are in their primes, they would have far more bargaining power than offensive lineman Vernon Carey did last season. To remain with the Dolphins, he agreed to void the final three years of his contract. He no longer is under contract but he counts $4.8 million against the cap because of a bonus he received previously.
    Other players with cap numbers that could make them targets are safety Yeremiah Bell, who will be 34 in a couple of weeks and has the fourth-highest cap number ($6.2 million); running back Reggie Bush ($6 million), defensive lineman Randy Starks ($5 million), defensive end Tony McDaniel ($4.157 million) and receiver Davone Bess ($3.033 million).
    Ireland has some wiggle room as well. The collective bargaining agreement adopted last summer allows teams to roll over unused 2011 cap space to 2012, as long as they make a written request to the league office. The Dolphins used only 92 percent of their cap space last year, giving Ireland the ability to request an additional $9.05 million in cap money on top of the projected $123 million.
    He also has the ability to use $1.5 million in salary-cap credits on veteran players under contract and with five-plus years of experience.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/...e=rss_dolphins
    "It happens all the time," Taylor said. "It's not an exact science and personnel guys aren't the end-all, be-all. " Jason Taylor,2011
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    If you ain't first, you're last!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17Cam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo
    "Fundamentals, technique, execution -- primary. Scheme -- secondary."

"We will incorporate an aggressive, up-tempo, attacking style in all three phases of the game."

"Our team will play with discipline, poise, and maximum effort."

"I want us to be the best tackling team in the NFL, the best team in pursuit, I want to take the ball away from other teams, I want to rattle the opposing quarterback every opportunity we get."

-- Joe Philbin 01/12

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hollywood,Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You might want to restructure Long along with Marshall and Dansby
    because of the collective huge cap numbers(right around 35 million for just those 3 players)
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't see how they keep Bell unless he restructures given his age/cap number..
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DKphin View Post
    Here is an article for us who have not really studied up on the cap:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/...e=rss_dolphins
    If I understand correctly, MIAMI would be $7 Million under the "cap", and gets another c. $9 Million "rollover" credit, and another "age" credit (for want of a better word) of $1.5 Million, making the opening amount $17.5 Million. And w/o being sentimental, cutting BELL, who can't cover his a** anymore, saves $4.3 Million more, making that figure $21.8 Million w/o doing much of anything. Is SOLIAI's $12 MIllion counted in the $116 Million or not? How about LANGFORD's salary? What about HENNE's salary, whatever it is? Ditto COLUMBO and CAREY? All of those players are most likely gone, except CAREY, who is on thin ice: and he may well follow them. Regardless, $21.8 Million as an effortless starting point isn't bad at all.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    No, the players that are currently Free Agents are not counted in the Dolphins salary. How would that make any sense? They are FREE AGENTS. NOT UNDER CONTRACT.

Long DEFINITELY needs to be restructed. If he and Marshall restructure they will be looking around an extra 6-7 million in cap room.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Bell and Fasano getting cut would save miami about 8-9 million. If I am miami, I cut Bell, I cut Fasano, I draft or sign one with a better deal in place for cap space than have him and Clay as my main TEs.

SERIOUSLY speaking though, dream offseason for me is this...

BTW: I snot touch on QB because its too hectic now with my love for Weeden, my desire for RG3, my hate for Manning if he's still unhealthy and we sign him, and my Flynn=Moore view so I will skip that position.

I'd love to get Jones as NCB, Goldson as FS (SP), Grubbs OG or Staley RT, Meachem, WR, and a 2nd teir DE. That looks like a big list but no one there is going to garner lots of money outside of Goldson possibly and the O Linemen. Grubbs would want more than Staley so I'd take Staley and draft a G and let Murtha be the back up T and Garner battle it out with Jerry for G and the rookie and move Incognito to his natural stiff position, the RG spot.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Sacramento, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    would it be possible to sign Flynn, Finely, and Mcfadden, and possibly Soliai?
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Dolphins Newest Fan Baby James!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Arent the players technically under contract under the middle of March?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy685 View Post
    No, the players that are currently Free Agents are not counted in the Dolphins salary. How would that make any sense? They are FREE AGENTS. NOT UNDER CONTRACT.

Long DEFINITELY needs to be restructed. If he and Marshall restructure they will be looking around an extra 6-7 million in cap room.
    Quote Quote