Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Virginia passes 2 of the most restrictive abortion bills in the U.S.

1. -1
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks

Virginia passes 2 of the most restrictive abortion bills in the U.S.

Oklahoma’s not the only state passing laws restricting abortions this week. The Virginia House of Delegates passed two of the strictest anti-abortion bills in the nation on Tuesday, and opponents say it’s part of a strategy which would make abortion illegal immediately if the Supreme Court were to overturn Roe v. Wade, CBS reported.

The first bill defines personhood at conception and is similar to the one passed by the Oklahoma Senate, which was noted in this morning’s AM Roundup. The Virginia bill doesn’t ban abortions, but it would make certain kinds of contraceptives illegal. If the Roe decision were eventually overturned, this measure would also make abortion illegal immediately.

The second measure passed in Virginia requires that women seeking an abortion be forced to undergo an ultrasound, which would mean a more physically invasive transvaginal ultrasound in the cases of early pregnancy. The Virginia Senate passed an ultrasound bill earlier this month, as Reuters noted. Gov. Bob McDonnell has indicated his support for the law, and is expected to sign it.
    http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2012/02/16/...ting-abortion/

So much for small government, right GoP? Small government only applies when it doesn't involve things you want. This may be the largest violation of personal freedom I've seen in my lifetime. This would be the first time the government forced private citizens to undergo a medical test. Once again, the "pro-constitution" party is really only using it for toilet paper.

Luckily, I doubt these stick. Even if they pass, it's going to go to the Supreme Court. If it holds up after that, then God help us all...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Whose personal freedom is this violating? The woman's or the child's?
    Nearly 70% of the Earth is covered by water...the rest is covered by Gerod Holliman.

Quote Quote  

3. -3

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    Whose personal freedom is this violating? The woman's or the child's?
    I was referring to the forced medical procedure with that statement. Getting into fetus rights is a debate neither of us is going to budge on, so starting that conversation won't really get anywhere. I will say that it is a little comforting to know that it took a Republican super majority, the only one in the U.S. that I'm aware of, for these bills to get this far...
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Finheaven Hall of Shame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hotel California
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Outrageous. In no way should the government have any control over what a woman chooses to do with her body.

LMAO @ "Limited Government Principles" espoused by members of the GOP, when they backtrack and do garbage such as this and that education bill in Errorzona.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    cowboy surfer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So much for small government, thanks obamacare.

Really, 2012 and you still need an abortion. (other than complications/rape)
    Quote Quote  

6. -6

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbone34 View Post
    So much for small government, thanks obamacare.

Really, 2012 and you still need an abortion. (other than complications/rape)
    I'm curious, what does Obamacare have to do with this? The only way that obamacare is involved is that one of these bills restricts some forms of contraception that Obamacare mandates be covered...
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    cowboy surfer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    I'm curious, what does Obamacare have to do with this? ...
    All this talk about smaller government is curious. I remember the GOP was pretty vocal against big government during obamacare/health care. It's easy to find examples of political hypocrisy.

The establishment likes this issue because it's a heated distraction. The real story is who are these people who still don't understand methods of birth control.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbone34 View Post
    All this talk about smaller government is curious. I remember the GOP was pretty vocal against big government during obamacare/health care. It's easy to find examples of political hypocrisy.

The establishment likes this issue because it's a heated distraction. The real story is who are these people who still don't understand methods of birth control.
    OK, I see what you're getting at. I agree completely. Modern politics is nothing but hypocrisy, from both sides.

Your second point is something more easily answered. There are 2 main reasons, sociologically. The first is cultural/religious. Some cultures/religions don't allow contraception, but have members of the community who still have sex. The second reason is lack of education. It's interesting that conservatives really want to have their cake and eat it too, in this regard. A lot of these kids don't learn about sex at home; they rely on the schools to do it. But then, you have some school boards who don't allow sex ed to be taught in their schools. So they send their kids out into the world not knowing much about safe sex, and then get upset when their uneducated kids get pregnant and want an abortion. The simple solution would be to have sex education available to all kids, which would guarantee a decrease in unwanted pregnancies...
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Killing babies is awesome and empowering to women. The republicans are just wageing a war on women. Do I sound like a feminist bull dyke yet?
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Forgot about this thread, seems like Virginia governer backed down. Wonder if this has anything to do him trying to be a Vice-President candidate....hmmm....

On Wednesday, Virginia's Republican governor, Bob McDonnell, asked legislators to back off and revise the House bill. Later that day, the Senate version of the bill was withdrawn by its sponsor. Now, a version of the bill that calls for a less invasive ultrasound is working its way through the Virginia General Assembly.

The original Virginia bill mandated that a transvaginal ultrasound procedure be performed before an abortion. Unlike abdominal ultrasounds, which are performed externally, transvaginal ultrasounds require doctors to use a probe. Some have called it medical rape; comedians Amy Poehler and Seth Meyers even took aim at the state on Saturday Night Live.

McDonnell changed his position after a protest outside the state capitol and criticism from moderates in his own party. In a statement released Wednesday, the governor said it's not the proper role for the state to mandate an invasive procedure and no one should have to undergo such a procedure without giving consent.
    http://www.npr.org/2012/02/23/147297...ltrasound-bill
    Quote Quote