Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: This Should be our guy hands down IMO!!!!....Anybody with me??? thoughts???

1. -1
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

OPINION This Should be our guy hands down IMO!!!!....Anybody with me??? thoughts???

Ryan Tannehill really burst on to the scene last season when he replaced Jerrod Johnson as Texas A&Mís quarterback. Tannehill had been playing wide receiver, and doing it quite well, before being moved in for the ineffective Johnson. Iíve included a video cut up of Tannehillís Cotton Bowl performance against LSU (part of our new Youtube channel, check it out!) so you can get a feel for what Iím talking about.
    Size: At 6í4″ Tannehill has the appropriate height to play in the NFL, he should have no problems seeing over an NFL sized offensive line. His listed weight of 219 pounds shows that he needs to put between 10-20 pounds of mass on, to be able to take the every down punishment a quarterback in the NFL takes. Likely, Tannehill was in ďreceiver shapeĒ last season, and shed some weight to increase speed and quickness while playing the wide receiver position. It will be interesting to note whether or not he comes into this season with additional weight.
    Arm Strength: Tannehill posseses the arm strength to make all the throws at the next level, including the ďdeep out.Ē While he doesnít have quite the cannon of a Ryan Mallett or JaMarcus Russell, his arm should be considered just a small notch below that ďeliteĒ level, and is quite capable of delivering the ball with the requisite velocity to any spot on the field.
    Accuracy: The reason I included the cut up of the LSU game with this scouting report, is that it is one of the best instances of a game last year in which the quarterback was throwing his receivers open, despite excellent defensive coverage. Though there were some timing issues in that LSU game, his accuracy is impeccable for a guy who has played the position half a season at the NCAA level.

Mechanical:
    Tannehill has a compact throwing motion, and quick release. He spins the ball cleanly, and only needs light correction on his throwing mechanics. Outside the pocket, his mechanics donít break down. Keeps his eye level up and down field when rolling out, and doesnít throw flat footed or off his back foot.
    Mobility: Possesses strong athletic ability for the position. Started at wide receiver for the Aggies, before taking over for Jerrod Johnson at quarterback. Has good straight line speed. Will pick up the first down with his legs if needed. He isnít Michael Vick, but definitely on par with Ben Roethlisberger or Josh Freeman.
    Pre/Post Snap Reads: He didnít call a lot of audibles last season. Iím not sure if he has the freedom to do it, or just didnít feel comfortable enough in that phase of the game yet. Post snap he keeps his eye level up and down field, will occasionally lock on to a receiver, but knows when to check down.
    Intangibles: Probably Tannehillís strongest area. Iíve havenít seen a kid jump out at me with the kind of ďitĒ factor that Tannehill has since Phillip Rivers (who shares the distinction with Peyton Manning of having the highest grade Iíve ever given a prospect). Tannehill is a winner, multi-dimensional athlete, intelligent, and by all accounts a strong leader in the huddle.
    Character: I couldnít find anyone with anything negative to say about Tannehill. He is by all accounts an intelligent (three time all conference academic award winner), hard working, and inspiring leader. Itís a rarity this day in age to get the kind of positive feedback about, I keep getting about Tannehill everywhere I go.
    It will be interesting to see how Tannehill does with a full season to work with, and with teams with having more film on him. Based on his body of work so far, I would have absolutely no problem spending a second round pick on him, and I could see him working his way to the top of the quarterback rankings by seasonís end.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I like Tannehill, and I was hoping if we got Payton, we would also take a shot on Tannehill for our future, but with all the negative and bad news continuing to surface about Payton, it's looking more and more like Flynn.

Nobody knows more about Flynn then Philbin, and no one knows more about Tannehill then Sherman, so in the end, I think we will hopefully get the right man in Miami to be the future QB.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If it is between Flynn and Tannehill, IMO i would go Tannehill, he will be cheaper and has more upside, most people's thoughts on Flynn is that he is a cerebral QB with a limited ceiling and limited tools, Tannehill just seems to have more potential to be "great" while Flynn the general thoughts seems to be a Hasselbeck/Shaub ceiling of "good" but nothing special and wont "wow" anyone
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    Tannehill is definitely a realistic option for this team, and not as a second round pick either. He is a realistic option at the #8/9 pick because I highly doubt he makes it out of the first round so Ireland might have to "reach" a little to land him.

I think he would 4th on the list for Philbin and Ireland:

1. Sign Peyton Manning
    2. Sign Matt Flynn
    3. Trade a boat load of picks for Robert Griffin III
    4. Draft Ryan Tannehill

Personally I ultimately think the second option is the way we go.

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    #12 #13 #23 #39 #54 #99

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks

NOT SO FAST

I dont know man...the fact that he couldnt hack it at QB for 3 years until they were basically forced to shove him in there when they no longer had another choice is something that doesnt sit well with me.

2007 - He redshirted his first year.

2008 - He came in 3rd in the QB Competition behind Stephen McGee and redshirt sophomore Jerrod Johnson.

2009 - He lost the QB competition to Jerrod Johnson and took exactly 8 QB snaps throughout the entire season.

2010 - He took over after 6 games of playing WR throwing 13 TDs and 6 INTs.

2011 - FINALLY was the QB for the team after they had no other choice/QB and had 29 TDs and 15 INTs with a 61% comp rating.

So the guy has basically 1.5 years of QB experience in college and you want to make him the Fins franchise QB?

Im a bit skeptical to say the least that this is THE GUY.
    ______________ ________________
    *********Here's what happened the last time we traded for a Coach ******************* Lets do it again!! *************
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foozool13 View Post
    I dont know man...the fact that he couldnt hack it at QB for 3 years until they were basically forced to shove him in there when they no longer had another choice is something that doesnt sit well with me.

2007 - He redshirted his first year.

2008 - He came in 3rd in the QB Competition behind Stephen McGee and redshirt sophomore Jerrod Johnson.

2009 - He lost the QB competition to Jerrod Johnson and took exactly 8 QB snaps throughout the entire season.

2010 - He took over after 6 games of playing WR throwing 13 TDs and 6 INTs.

2011 - FINALLY was the QB for the team after they had no other choice/QB and had 29 TDs and 15 INTs with a 61% comp rating.

So the guy has basically 1.5 years of QB experience in college and you want to make him the Fins franchise QB?

Im a bit skeptical to say the least that this is THE GUY.

Does this REALLY sound like the guy you want leading and NFL franchise.
    I actually think it shows some positives that he got rejected as the starter twice, instead of sulking on the sideline, helped the team by converting to WR, then instead of being spiteful, when asked to go back to QB, after not starting for 3 seasons and playing a different position, slid right back in and started and did well for himself, i think playing WR will ultimately help him as a QB being able to have the perspective of the WRs he throws 2
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tennessee
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm down with Tannehill. Think he should develope for a year though and let Moore take this year, if in fact we do end up drafting him. With a little fine tuning, coaching and experience, it seems the sky is the limit for this kid. The fact that we even discuss a guy that has as little time playing QB as he has, speaks volumes to me.
    http://www.finheaven.com/signaturepics/sigpic30273_1.gif
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Lumberjack Batman

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    Tannehill is definitely a realistic option for this team, and not as a second round pick either. He is a realistic option at the #8/9 pick because I highly doubt he makes it out of the first round so Ireland might have to "reach" a little to land him.

I think he would 4th on the list for Philbin and Ireland:

1. Sign Peyton Manning
    2. Sign Matt Flynn
    3. Trade a boat load of picks for Robert Griffin III
    4. Draft Ryan Tannehill

Personally I ultimately think the second option is the way we go.
    I would hope that four came before three. Griffin is a way bigger project than Tannehill. That's even if his heart is in it, which is probably questionable at best.
    Last edited by Valandui; 02-17-2012 at 10:07 PM.

Valandui's Weekly Music Video

Dub FX:
    Step On My Trip (Live)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEPEleJVjOo
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Uh, How on earth is Griffin a bigger project than Tannehill? Have you even seen them play? Griffin is polished as a passer. He throws a tremendous deep ball, he has a pass first mentality, he's got the arm strength to make every throw, he's a tremendous worker, and he's exceeded at every level required through adversity and hard work.

I'm just blown away. Tannehill has zero pocket presence, he's got a lot of work to go with his pre-snap reads
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Ground and Pound

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!RadioactiveHalo Legendary1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11
    Griffen > Tannehill

Matt Flyn < Tannehill

Realistically we will get Flynn and we won't draft grriffen and tannehill who knows...
    Quote Quote