Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gas prices and election

1. -11
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinzN703 View Post
    How are they spending an extra $10 a month? Imagine what truck drivers are going through. Cab drivers. The people who can't work near their home for a million other reasons.
    i was referring to the difference between regular and premium. no doubt its going to hurt trucking companies. but they usually pass the cost on to us, the consumer.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NY8123 View Post
    Your math is flawed. Let's break it down shall we:

Average Miles per Gallon of all US Auto's 20mpg, for SUV's it is lower at 17mpg. Average American drives 18,000 miles a year (factor in going to see Grandma and Grandpa or Vegas, whatever floats your boat).

In a car with average mileage per household 20mpg that is 900 gallons of gas a year x 3.57 per/gal = 3213 per year or $61.79 a week.
    In a car with average mileage per household 20mpg that is 900 gallons of gas a year x 5.0 per/gal = 4500 per year or $86.54 a week.

Remember 52/4 = 13 (NOT 12) or about $25 a week increase.

But where your math is flawed is in the notion of the one car household. How many people own one car these days? 2.28 cars a household is the national average, do you own a boat? (rent one for family vacations?) Jet Ski's? Toys? Lawn mowers? Weed Eaters?

Everything stacks up so that measly (not trivial to some families) little 25 bucks a weeks becomes larger yet:

Lets say the second car runs half the national average at 450 gallons a year use = 30.89 a week now and with the increase 43.27 a week. (+12.38). The lawn takes 2 gallons a week to trim and mow = 7.00 a week and with the increase it's now 10 bucks a week (+3.00). The family vacations cost of rentals, plane fuel etc...it hits your bottom line and before you know it you are spending over a 100 bucks a week in fuel for your family.

Now you say you can go green and buy a hybrid, which is highly recommended if you are single or a small family but come on it isn't worth the effort if you have more than 3 in your household, unless you travel light. Oh yeah let's not forget the public transportation, we have to get little Marry to school and to save money you send her on the bus to reduce your gas consumption, only problem is the school boards gas costs are rising as well so now your taxes go up to cover additional budget concerns in 2013 and beyond.

Anytime you raise the price of a product by roughly 43% it causes severe headaches for the masses but when that product is gas, it just adds fuel to the fire, gas is too interwoven into the fabric of America.

Oh and don't forget the cost of servicing your vehicle in the 43% increase, oil, tires, parts etc...the cost associated with producing and distributing those go up proportionally as well.

The horse sounding better yet?
    have fun on your horse........maybe people should stop spending their money on bs and interest on debt, they'd probably have alot more money to spend on gas.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    The World Is Yours

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tallahassee
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dont forget about the youth/poor so quickly. I know your not intending to sound like a snob, but your simply just off base on how much money that is to some people. The youth is the future of the country, and 60-100 bucks a month extra to them can be a huge hit and make them less productive overall.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimi View Post
    Dont forget about the youth/poor so quickly. I know your not intending to sound like a snob, but your simply just off base on how much money that is to some people. The youth is the future of the country, and 60-100 bucks a month extra to them can be a huge hit and make them less productive overall.
    $60? that would suck. i mean, what does an 1/8 of some good dank cost now a days? is it still $50? looks like they wont be smoking as much weed.

i also think its funny how much people talk **** about oil companies during times of high gas prices. have you all looked at your 401k's recently? they look alot better than they did last year.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Gas would already be at 6 dollars a gallon if the economy hadn't imploded. I wouldn't be surprised to see that number in 2013.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    Gallup is reporting unemployment going back up to 9%.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/152753/Un...-February.aspx

The whole "recovery" Obama and the news is pimping is an illusion. Gas prices will only add to the mess. The economy sucks and will continue to suck for a while. Unfortunatley the GOP is totally incapable of putting up a good candidate. Obama will probably win easily even with the economy in shambles.
    Hopefully this isn't because of further loss in employment but a "technical" caused by more people looking for work. The last time employment was as low as last January's was 30 years ago...with a 10.2% unemployment then.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    have fun on your horse........maybe people should stop spending their money on bs and interest on debt, they'd probably have alot more money to spend on gas.
    I don't have a lot of debt. I owe the man a grand total of 38,000 dollars at 4% average interest, that's my house, car, school loans, boat you name it. I have over that amount available to me if I wanted to pay it off straight cash but that's earning me 8% so you tell me what the better investment is, love compounding interest when it works for me!

So let's be real here, maybe you should see the reason behind this 43% increase in gas, the bottom line of Chevron, ExxonMobil, Conoco etc...and there isn't anything more than greed at its heart.

Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    $60? that would suck. i mean, what does an 1/8 of some good dank cost now a days? is it still $50? looks like they wont be smoking as much weed.

i also think its funny how much people talk **** about oil companies during times of high gas prices. have you all looked at your 401k's recently? they look alot better than they did last year.
    But they look like **** compared to the 8 year average.
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote