Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: College hoops thread - Tourney/bubble talk

1. -41
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R&R Express View Post
    Leave it to Junc to make a few comments and completely derail a thread that's supposed to be about basketball.
    Pretty predictable.

Can't say I didn't see it coming.

Quote Quote  

2. -42
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Namor View Post
    Yes...we know...don't care about the less knowledgeable fools..as Bama, next year will be in the mix for another title ,while the other ******* keep crying "it aint fair". Plus we hope,beyond all hope for a playoff of somekind...The title may not ever leave the SEC......Hell it hasn't left the state of Alabama in three years.
    I don't blame SEC and 'Bama fans for loving the current format, it pretty much guarantees an SEC team wins every year. if they did this CBB the ACC would have 20 titles in the last 30 years but the system is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    Winning your conference, nor making your conference's title game "earns" a shot at playing for the national title. Nor did Oklahoma St. make a conference title game either because the Big-12 doesn't even have enough teams to host a conference championship game.

The "must win your conference" argument is ridiculous. Fact is, most teams that do win their conference have no business playing for a national title and the SEC proves that every year. All conferences are not equal, or even close.

LSU destroyed the Pac-12 Champ and the Big-East Champ. Neither Oregon nor West Virginia were national title worthy. Hell, the 5th best team in the SEC (South Carolina) destroyed the ACC Champ (Clemson). The Big-10 Champ (Wisconsin) lost to the Pac-12 Champ (Oregon) in the Rose Bowl. If we've already established that Oregon wasn't national title worthy, neither was the Big-10 Champ who lost to 'em.

Alabama finished 4th or 5th in the SEC the year before and destroyed the Big-10 Champ Michigan St. 49-7 in the Capital One Bowl.

Oklahoma St. lost to a 6-6 team, and should've lost to Stanford in the bowl game if the freshman kicker for Stanford makes a chip shot field goal.

The Conference Champion argument is nothing more than hogwash. The SEC has about 3 teams in it every year that would win every other conference out there, and go undefeated doing it.

Not only was the top 2 teams in college football this year both in the same division in same conference.... the 3rd best team in the country was also residing in the SEC West. Arkansas' only two losses were to LSU and Alabama, and beat the team (Kansas St.) that scored 45 points on Oklahoma St.'s pathetic defense and almost beat 'em.

The conference champion argument will never happen under any system because it eliminates Notre Dame. Their belligerence has been a pain in the a** of college football for decades.
    If a conf doesn't have a title game that is a different thing, the Big 12 once had a title game and Nebraska got humiliated in it then played for the nat'l Title. Bama was the best team but they didn't prove it in the reg season b/c they lost at HOME to LSU. Yeah if they play LSU 10 times they probably beat them 7 or 8 but if GB plays the Giants they probably beat them 7 times but the Giants earned it by beating GB on the road.

Who cares what LSU did to the pac 12 champ or Big east champ(are you really corwing about beating the BE champ?). 'Bama wound up beating ONE ranjed team int he reg season and did so at home.

Okie State may have lost to a 6-6 team but they didn't get LSU at HOME and lose. That should have been 'Bama's only shot.

Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    Yeah, some people do know. But the fact that they'll never get to play is the only thing that allows people to even open their mouth about it.

College football is different from the NFL, NBA, MLB, NCAA basketball... and I prefer it stay that way. We can have a +1 or a 4 team playoff or anything like that is fine. What I don't want is a watered down playoff with a bunch of teams in it that don't even deserve to be there in the first place.

The regular season still has to mean something. People like you want the regular season to be eliminated and everyone start over with a new season once the playoffs start... which is what happens in the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc. The best team doesn't always get crowned the champion. It's just whoever gets the hottest in the playoffs.

The best team is the one that proves it from start to finish, which is what the BCS does. If they go to a +1 or a 4 team playoff, that's fine too. But the regular season still has to mean something. The regular season in college football is the best of any sport in my opinion because it essentially IS a playoff.

Alabama wasn't "given" a shot at the title by the computers. The computers took the regular season and the SOS into account. The voters took into account that Alabama was the better team the first time they played LSU to begin with, even though they lost. They left no doubt the second time.
    I don't think they should have an NCAA BB type of Tourney w/ 60+ teams but an 8 or 16 team playoff would be great for the sport and determine a true champion.

'Bama was given a title game shot by a computer, they didn't earm it, they had an easy sched, beat one team that finished ranked all year and did that at home, lost at home to LSU, didn't make or win their conf title.

The reg season in CFB sucks, there are a handful of good games every year, top teams rarely play tough teams innon conf play. You basically have to win mmaybe 2 tough games a year and if you come through you play for a title.

Quote Originally Posted by WVDolphan View Post
    I see junc is hanging around being completely WRONG again as usual.

Bama certainly COULD HAVE beaten LSU at home. The fact that they spanked that *** on a nuetral field clearly demonstrates that. What you mean to say is they DID NOT beat LSU at home. Big difference.

And so what. They didnt beat LSU in the regular season. They lost a game they clearly outplayed LSU in, in OT no less. LSU beat them on that day. If you play that game 10 times, LSU will win some of them. Alabama would clearly win more often.

But, the fact remains that not only did BAMA EARN their way into the title game by outperforming the rest of the teams in the NCAA, they EARNED the National Championship by destroying a team that clearly no one else in the country could even compete with.

Nice job spinning this thread into something it isnt supposed to be about btw. FH Spin Meister at his worst.
    They COULD have? that's your weak argument? seriously? They lost to LSU at home, whether they beat them the 2nd time around means nothing in regard to playing for the title. They didn't earn the chance to play for the title, ion the title game they earned the win but they never should have played in that game if CFB wasn't such a complete joke.

Quote Originally Posted by JCane View Post
    The BCS is not designed to take conference winners.

The BCS is designed to take a **** ton of data and spit out the two best teams. The BCS...again...spit out the two best teams in the country. The two best teams just so happened to be from the same division of the same conference. This is a rare case.

There wasn't a team in the country that could have beaten Alabama outside of LSU. You can make yourself look silly and argue against that if you want, but Alabama/LSU would have BOATRACED Oklahoma State.

Had we had a playoff, we would have been left with Alabama and LSU. and you can't say that Alabama couldn't beat LSU in Tuscaloosa. I think Nick Saban is the greatest coach I've ever seen but I think that was the worst football game he ever coached. Kicker missed FIVE field goals. How often does this happen at any level? I couldn't understand why Saban kept kicking 45+ yarders with a guy that couldn't kick them.

And if you think you can come up with a 16 team college football playoff that works, then be my guest and I'll patiently wait.
    When 'Bama beat sone ranked team all year how is it determined they are the 2nd best team and should play in the title game? this after losing at HOME to the #1 team?

"Had we had a playoff we would have been left w/ Alabama and LSU"? really? like the 1 seeds in the AFC and NFC this year? like the top teams in the AL & NL? In a playoff game/series nothing is guaranteed especially in a one game playoff. The chances are very slim both teams make it and I wish they had a chance to prove it.
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    follow me at @moejo31

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    ALABAMA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Bama plays miss state
    tonight at 5pm

roll tide roll
    lets get the win
    Quote Quote  

4. -44
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hoping JMike is in the lineup with something to prove.
    Quote Quote  

5. -45
    follow me at @moejo31

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    ALABAMA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    hes in lacey is out
    lacey is injured
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    Two Little Debbies and a cup of coffee

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mike Wallace 112013 Dolphins Logo
    Strong 2nd half for Bama last night. You have to respect the job that coach has done. They are playing great team ball down the stretch.
    Quote Quote  

7. -47
    mediocrity sucks

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Drum, New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Great win for Miami tonight. Should put us in the driver seat to get in the tournament.
    Quote Quote  

8. -48
    Phins & Philly Sports

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Great win for Miami tonight. Should put us in the driver seat to get in the tournament.
    I don't follow Miami basketball as closely as football. When was the last time they made the tourney?

Quote Quote  

9. -49
    mediocrity sucks

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Drum, New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinsPhan11 View Post
    I don't follow Miami basketball as closely as football. When was the last time they made the tourney?
    2008. Lost a close one in the second round vs. Texas.
    Quote Quote  

10. -50
    Phins & Philly Sports

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2008. Lost a close one in the second round vs. Texas.
    With their good win today, it definitely helped their tourney chances.
    Quote Quote