Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jake Long "wants to test the Free Agent market?"

1. -1
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Rumor Jake Long "wants to test the Free Agent market?"

I was looking at some mock drafts, and found this:

"I had moved away from the Offensive Tackle to Miami mindset before I found out that Jake Long “wants to test the Free Agent market” after this season. Realistically, the Dolphins have to prepare for life after Jake Long.

Riley Reiff is not the prospect that Matt Kalil is, but he’s capable of taking over on the right side next season. If he improves like I project him to, he’ll make an easy transition to the right side should Jake Long leave."

http://www.extra-point.net/mock-draft/

Anybody know if there is any truth to this? I know this is Jake's last year on his contract, but has anybody heard that he wants to test the free agent market?
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    1st Ballot Hall of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    CUSE
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We have him under contract 2 years..and even then we can franchise him after that to keep him if a long term deal is not done...The only reason I would see Miami drafting a LT in the next 2 years is because they think Long cant play it anymore and they move him to RT which should make him alot cheaper. But to panic now and take a LT seems kinda dumb.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Dawn of a new era

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Newport News,Va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    jake's not going anywhere.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Teddy Westside

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PolitePolite View Post
    I was looking at some mock drafts, and found this:

"I had moved away from the Offensive Tackle to Miami mindset before I found out that Jake Long “wants to test the Free Agent market” after this season. Realistically, the Dolphins have to prepare for life after Jake Long.

Riley Reiff is not the prospect that Matt Kalil is, but he’s capable of taking over on the right side next season. If he improves like I project him to, he’ll make an easy transition to the right side should Jake Long leave."

http://www.extra-point.net/mock-draft/

Anybody know if there is any truth to this? I know this is Jake's last year on his contract, but has anybody heard that he wants to test the free agent market?
    I have beachfront property in the Everglades........................
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Its true speculation ... exactly the same for every NFL player.

Long's good, but his value is not top-dollar high, due to constant injuries the last couple years. Injuries have had an obvious impact on his performance.

Long has at least 3 major/lingering injuries that are very public ... and no doubt a couple that are not public.

To get top dollar, Long will have to be healthy. A huge positive for Long is that he is dedicated & plays hurt ... that will increase his worth.

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoRadioactiveCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Who the freak are these people and do they have any credibility? Another mock draft site that's trying to start rumors to generate more page hits?
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    703 Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    Even if he was to leave next year, you wouldn't replace him now.

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    This may be true that he would like to test the market, though I doubt he ever gets to. The Dolphins will probably try to work out a contract extension this Summer. Even if they don't, no way does Ireland let him hit the market next offseason. He is a prime example why the franchise tag was created.

Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Diehard Phinatic!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We have him under contract 2 years
    No, his contract expires after this season, he signed a 5 year contract, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, and he will be a free agent, if he wants to test the open market then let em, he is turning into tony boselli and people need to wake up and smell the coffee, knee surgery, shoulder surgery, back problems, and torn bicep surgery, he clearly was not the same player last year and injury's could be taking their toll, if he proves he can bounce back this year and stay healthy then resign him, if not then let him go somewhere else like boselli did with the texans and end his career there, elite LT's are overrated, look at the last 7 or 8 superbowl teams, none of them had "elite" LT's, diel, bushrod, matt light, those guys are very good but not elite, give me a franchise qb and an above average LT and we will be fine, if he wants to walk let his injury riddled body walk, unless he proves he can stay healthy.

Benjamin Volin Because there was confusion last week: Jake Long absolutely 100% is set to be a FA after 2012. 6th year of his contract will void. Confirmed
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Lifelong Fin Fan

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Minneapolis MN
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thesparanos13 View Post
    No, his contract expires after this season, he signed a 5 year contract, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, and he will be a free agent, if he wants to test the open market then let em, he is turning into tony boselli and people need to wake up and smell the coffee, knee surgery, shoulder surgery, back problems, and torn bicep surgery, he clearly was not the same player last year and injury's could be taking their toll, if he proves he can bounce back this year and stay healthy then resign him, if not then let him go somewhere else like boselli did with the texans and end his career there, elite LT's are overrated, look at the last 7 or 8 superbowl teams, none of them had "elite" LT's, diel, bushrod, matt light, those guys are very good but not elite, give me a franchise qb and an above average LT and we will be fine, if he wants to walk let his injury riddled body walk, unless he proves he can stay healthy.

Benjamin Volin Because there was confusion last week: Jake Long absolutely 100% is set to be a FA after 2012. 6th year of his contract will void. Confirmed
    This is the same feeling I'm beginning to have. I don't know if it was from Sparano grinding him into the dirt, his willingness to play hurt, or his inability to rehab with the team doctors last offseason but the injuries have definitely begun to take their toll. If he can rebound this year to his old self, great sign him to a contract extension and be done with it. But if due to the injuries he continues to play at the same level as last year, or God forbid he gets worse let him test the market. If we miss out on Manning and Philbin is not sold on Flynn as his QB I would even be open to them using him in a draft day trade with the Rams for RGIII.
    When I die I want to hire the Miami Dolphin's to be my pallbearers so they can let me down one last time.

Quote Quote