Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bill Polian said on SiriusXM radio that Manning could fit Philbin's offense

1. -11
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Chattanooga, Tennessee, U
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It obviously wasn't a very knowledgeable football fan to have asked such a ridiculous question to which anyone with any football knowledge (fan or otherwise) would know. If I were Polian, I would've asked if the person was joking or not.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    P. Manning would probably get my vote as the smartest QB to ever play in the NFL. He calls audibles like nobody else, and reads defenses like nobody else. I remember a few years ago when the Phins had the ball on offense for 45 minutes to the Colt's 15 minutes, and Peyton still killed us and won the game for the Colts.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Seems like a lot of you are still holding on to the blind hope that Peyton's arm will wake up and be able to extend Miami's lack of future at this position for two more years.

Credit to feelthepain
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Philbin and Sherman will tailor the offense to Peyton's strengths and use our players accordingly. If we are lacking a certain type of player in the passing game, Ireland will try to fill that void. All that said, I think the Fins will lean on the rushing attack early on in the season to take some of the pressure off of Peyton and until all the working parts(no pun) are working smoothly.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    And yet people are still trying to argue we shouldn't pursue a sub 100% Manning....oye. Sign Manning, draft a development QB, there's your fracking system right there. There would be no learning curve of a season like Rg3, Luck, and Newton had/will have, we'll still have our young guy, and we'll be free to take BPA or even trade down and have a solid draft with no QB woes hanging over our heads.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I honestly don't think there is a system that Manning wouldn't fit into.
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote  

7. -17
    A Faithful Dolphin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If Chuck Norris needs a bodyguard, he calls Peyton...
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by russianbear View Post
    And yet people are still trying to argue we shouldn't pursue a sub 100% Manning....oye. Sign Manning, draft a development QB, there's your fracking system right there. There would be no learning curve of a season like Rg3, Luck, and Newton had/will have, we'll still have our young guy, and we'll be free to take BPA or even trade down and have a solid draft with no QB woes hanging over our heads.
    Yeah. That makes sense. Let's sign Peyton Manning, who is so broken down right now that the Colts deem him expendable, and by pass signing the young quarterback who is tailor made for Joe Philbin's system that has more of a future in this league that Peyton has remaining. Oh, but that isn't the end of it. Because you are signing Peyton, you have to commit to making moves for the now and not with an eye towards the future. So there goes drafting a quarterback in the first round, as now you need a high level offensive line to protect your damaged, older quarterback. Then, if we have to bring on his buddies to pacify him, that will effectively stop the development of other younger players on this team. Now, you are once again relying on mid to late round quarterbacks to be the answer for down the road, as Petyon has 2, maybe 3 years left in him tops if he does return to health.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Get Yo Money Up

Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Yeah. That makes sense. Let's sign Peyton Manning, who is so broken down right now that the Colts deem him expendable, and by pass signing the young quarterback who is tailor made for Joe Philbin's system that has more of a future in this league that Peyton has remaining. Oh, but that isn't the end of it. Because you are signing Peyton, you have to commit to making moves for the now and not with an eye towards the future. So there goes drafting a quarterback in the first round, as now you need a high level offensive line to protect your damaged, older quarterback. Then, if we have to bring on his buddies to pacify him, that will effectively stop the development of other younger players on this team. Now, you are once again relying on mid to late round quarterbacks to be the answer for down the road, as Petyon has 2, maybe 3 years left in him tops if he does return to health.
    First of all, the Colts are releasing him because they got exposed last year w/o him and have the #1 overall pick and a chance to sign the best QB prospect since.....you guessed it, Peyton Manning. To say he is broken down and expendable is a stretch and a half, it's a money issue, NOT a issue of his talent. They can't afford to keep two big time QB's on their roster with their other glaring needs, that's it, period. If you're talking about Flynn who's tailor made for Philbin's system, yea ok I can twist words too, I think you mean an over-valued, under-experienced, soon to be over-paid QB who has been a backup his entire career. You sound like you've been watching him play for years, and Manning at 70% has a better arm than Flynn ever will.

Second, why does drafting Peyton meaning turning a blind eye to the future? That's ridiculous, one has nothing to do with the other. If anything it helps us by giving us basically a free shot at a potential sleeper late round QB, but you're right, no good QBs EVER come out of the drat later than the first two rounds..... Not to mention he'll be learning from Peyton effing Manning.

And finally, we need help on our O-line regardless of who are QB is, I personally think Matt the Backup Flynn will need a little more help with protection going through his FIRST season as a starter than Mr. HOFer Peyton Manning because he knows what it's like being under pressure and how to take a hit. Oh and another thing, this surgery he's having? It actually has an end result of strengthening his neck, it won't be "damaged". The only issue is getting his nerve connections stronger which from what I read will come in time. And the point about hindring development of young players by bringing in a future HOF veteran with postseason experience out the ying-yang? I don't think I even need to respond to that.....

edit: sorry if that came out harsh I do wan't to note that I would have faith in Flynn if Philbin can't work out any other sort of deal and signs him. I just speak from having seen only 2 games with him playing, nothing from college. I just can't believe that the potential signing of Manning can be seen as a curse.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by russianbear View Post
    First of all, the Colts are releasing him because they got exposed last year w/o him and have the #1 overall pick and a chance to sign the best QB prospect since.....you guessed it, Peyton Manning. To say he is broken down and expendable is a stretch and a half, it's a money issue, NOT a issue of his talent. They can't afford to keep two big time QB's on their roster with their other glaring needs, that's it, period. If you're talking about Flynn who's tailor made for Philbin's system, yea ok I can twist words too, I think you mean an over-valued, under-experienced, soon to be over-paid QB who has been a backup his entire career. You sound like you've been watching him play for years, and Manning at 70% has a better arm than Flynn ever will.

Second, why does drafting Peyton meaning turning a blind eye to the future? That's ridiculous, one has nothing to do with the other. If anything it helps us by giving us basically a free shot at a potential sleeper late round QB, but you're right, no good QBs EVER come out of the drat later than the first two rounds..... Not to mention he'll be learning from Peyton effing Manning.

And finally, we need help on our O-line regardless of who are QB is, I personally think Matt the Backup Flynn will need a little more help with protection going through his FIRST season as a starter than Mr. HOFer Peyton Manning because he knows what it's like being under pressure and how to take a hit. Oh and another thing, this surgery he's having? It actually has an end result of strengthening his neck, it won't be "damaged". The only issue is getting his nerve connections stronger which from what I read will come in time. And the point about hindring development of young players by bringing in a future HOF veteran with postseason experience out the ying-yang? I don't think I even need to respond to that.....

edit: sorry if that came out harsh I do wan't to note that I would have faith in Flynn if Philbin can't work out any other sort of deal and signs him. I just speak from having seen only 2 games with him playing, nothing from college. I just can't believe that the potential signing of Manning can be seen as a curse.
    First of all, whoever has told you that these surgical procedures only strengthen Peyton's neck is lying to you. Right now, Peyton has a bone graft in between his C6 and C7 vertebra. Do you know what comes along with that? A loss of motion at that level, because you now have something rigid this is occupying that space instead of the soft, cushion that was there that previously acted as a shock absorber of sorts and was elastic, not rigid. Do you know what this loss of motion in turn does? It changes the spinal mechanics at that level, creating more stress on the vertebra above and below the fused area. Do you know what happens with that increased stress? You ultimately get more bulging of the discs at those levels. You also get uncovertebral hypertrophy and bone spur formation, both of which is a chronic, degenerative condition. You know what comes with uncovertebral hypertrophy and bone spur formation? You get neuroforaminal stenosis, which if great enough, impinges on the nerve. You know what happens then? The same thing that Peyton has already been through. It's only a matter of time. He WILL have this surgery again at the level above or below.

That doesn't even address the fact that he may have let the impingement go on too long before he had the fusion to begin with, and because of that, the nerve may never wake up. It is possible to recruit enough strength from the other muscles to offset the loss of function of the area the C7 nerve innervates within the triceps, serratus anterior, latissmus dorsi, and biceps brachialis muscle that he will be able to throw, but he will not be able to throw with any indurance.

Basically, think of Dan Marino in 1999. That is what Miami will get with Peyton Manning coming off this injury.
    Quote Quote