Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 133

Thread: Finheaven and free speech

  1. -41
    GoonBoss's Avatar
    Finheaven Templar

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2005
    Posts:
    18,846
    vCash:
    10939
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by snake eyes View Post
    There is already too much random censorship on this site. Too many mods with too much power. There needs to be mod guidlines that we all know so that the punishment can be meted out evenly.
    They have that.

    All posts are reported/modded and forwarded to a forum where all mods can observe/comment. Sometimes decisions are upheld, sometimes not. Sometimes a heavier penalty is imposed. I can assure you that it is all done in a way that ensures participation from everyone, and nothing is done
    arbitratially. It may seem to you that it's not, but I can tell you from first hand experience, that it is.

    Just because you don't agree with something, doesn't make it wrong, or a mistake.

    ETA; If you don't like the "censorship" leave. A private BBS has no constitutional obligation to provide you with a forum to say anything. Might want to read up on the issue.


    Quote Quote  

  2. -42
    NUGap's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2012
    Posts:
    236
    vCash:
    1000
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I know I've been here for like 3 weeks now, but I moved to this forum because I was getting fed up of the overreactions on the other Dolphin's site I used to frequent.

    In my opinion, the problem isn't with arguing or having different opinions, it's about being antagonistic and emotionally hysterical. For instance, I might support Jeff Ireland and someone else may not. Much of the time, the conversation will be "Jeff Ireland is garbage who everyone hates, show me what good he's done!!!!", then the other person will respond with "You're whining and need to just shut up, give Ireland a chance or go somewhere else!!"

    Instead, I could support Ireland by pointing to the fact that he has indeed found some solid players - Cam Wake, Vontae Davis, and Randy Starks. The other person could counter by saying that there is evidence on twitter and from player comments (like from Channing Crowder or Ryan Clark) that Jeff Ireland can be perceived as sleazy and his personality doesn't fit the demands of the General Manager job. It doesn't have to lead to a knife fight.

    To use Omar Kelly's term...people are 'internet gangsters' and I don't think you can moderate it more or relegate them all to positive and negative threads because it's representative of problem of internet decorum in general, Finheaven is just a small cross section of that. People don't talk civilly to each other because there's no repercussions for it. As much as it bothers me and I would want to have it fixed, I'm not sure the solution is easily attainable. Just my thoughts, for whatever they're worth.
    Last edited by NUGap; 03-18-2012 at 09:09 PM.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -43
    Waterlogged

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2010
    Posts:
    3,720
    vCash:
    1000
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GoonBoss View Post
    They have that.

    All posts are reported/modded and forwarded to a forum where all mods can observe/comment. Sometimes decisions are upheld, sometimes not. Sometimes a heavier penalty is imposed. I can assure you that it is all done in a way that ensures participation from everyone, and nothing is done
    arbitratially. It may seem to you that it's not, but I can tell you from first hand experience, that it is.

    Just because you don't agree with something, doesn't make it wrong, or a mistake.

    ETA; If you don't like the "censorship" leave. A private BBS has no constitutional obligation to provide you with a forum to say anything. Might want to read up on the issue.
    lol, how nice of you to tell a forum member who probably donated to keep the site up to just leave cause he had a disagreement with things on the site.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -44
    SebasMiamiFan's Avatar
    This Is My House

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2008
    Posts:
    14,333
    vCash:
    5508
    Loc:
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NUGap View Post
    I know I've been here for like 3 weeks now, but I moved to this forum because I was getting fed up of the overreactions on the other Dolphin's site I used to frequent.

    In my opinion, the problem isn't with arguing or having different opinions, it's about being antagonistic and emotionally hysterical. For instance, I might support Jeff Ireland and someone else may not. Much of the time, the conversation will be "Jeff Ireland is garbage who everyone hates, show me what good he's done!!!!", then the other person will respond with "You're whining and need to just shut up, give Ireland a chance or go somewhere else!!"

    Instead, I could support Ireland by pointing to the fact that he has indeed found some solid players - Cam Wake, Vontae Davis, and Randy Starks. The other person could counter by saying that there is evidence on twitter and from player comments (like from Channing Crowder or Ryan Clark) that Jeff Ireland can be perceived as sleazy and his personality doesn't fit the demands of the General Manager job.

    To use Omar Kelly's term...people are 'internet gangsters' and I don't think you can moderate it more or relegate them all to positive and negative threads because it's a problem of internet decorum in general, Finheaven is just a victim of a larger problem. As much as it bothers me and I would want to have it fixed, I'm not sure the solution is easily attainable. Just my thoughts, for whatever they're worth.
    That's a great point. There's not much anyone can do. Until the Fins start winning, people are going to be negative.






    Quote Quote  

  5. -45
    SpurzN703's Avatar
    I like your style Dude

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Oct 2004
    Posts:
    26,423
    vCash:
    17945
    Loc:
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Ford LogoTannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by dreday View Post
    thats why you have VIP.VIP is set up for more responsible posters and the like,but i dont think there is enough posters there yet to have most of the interesting conversation go on there.
    I don't think it's that simple. Paying $18 a year to keep the site up in all likelihood wouldn't make a huge difference. As I stated previously, I don't think it should come down to needing to stay in one section vs. another in regards to staying sane.



    Quote Quote  

  6. -46
    SpurzN703's Avatar
    I like your style Dude

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Oct 2004
    Posts:
    26,423
    vCash:
    17945
    Loc:
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Ford LogoTannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathStar View Post
    We need people like that though...If no one posted those threads, how would conversations start and such?

    All forums are like this and what's why mods merge em...
    I've never seen a forum with this many people on it. The other ones I've gone on don't have repeat threads (all negative it seems) either. We're a unique bunch.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -47
    Waterlogged

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2010
    Posts:
    3,720
    vCash:
    1000
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinzN703 View Post
    I don't think it's that simple. Paying $18 a year to keep the site up in all likelihood wouldn't make a huge difference. As I stated previously, I don't think it should come down to needing to stay in one section vs. another in regards to staying sane.
    If u cant handle it, yes it comes down to that.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -48
    SpurzN703's Avatar
    I like your style Dude

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Oct 2004
    Posts:
    26,423
    vCash:
    17945
    Loc:
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Ford LogoTannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazysimon View Post
    This is a forum for dolphins fans. Who cares if some stuff gets re-posted, it a website for a sports team.
    I care. That is why this thread exists.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -49
    SpurzN703's Avatar
    I like your style Dude

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Oct 2004
    Posts:
    26,423
    vCash:
    17945
    Loc:
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Ford LogoTannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallFin1 View Post
    If u cant handle it, yes it comes down to that.
    Good to note.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -50
    SpurzN703's Avatar
    I like your style Dude

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Oct 2004
    Posts:
    26,423
    vCash:
    17945
    Loc:
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Ford LogoTannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by SebasMiamiFan View Post
    Too many of these whiny threads.
    Rather than assume, are you labeling this thread I created as whiny?
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Free Speech at Military Funerals
    By Eshlemon in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-13-2012, 06:17 PM
  2. Free Speech Fight
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-05-2010, 07:41 PM
  3. No free speech for Islam?
    By Tetragrammaton in forum Religion Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-28-2010, 04:50 PM
  4. FREE SPEECH...how it works MD =)
    By MoFinz in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-29-2009, 07:10 PM
  5. Free Speech Not So Free Online
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-07-2008, 04:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •