Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Don't reach on QB this year - draft Russel Wilson

1. -31
    Tie your shoes, god damn it.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I love Wilson's release though. Ball comes out at the same height as every other tall QB.
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudder1310 View Post
    Wilson will be great, in the CFL. the WCO is all timing based but you have to get up over the line. There are no QBs that short. If that's how you want to go then you may as well take Kellen Moore, who has better size and more success.
    LOL.

funny to read this post again.

I am happy with Tannehill, but tell me Wilson is not the real deal.
    Quote Quote  

3. -33
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Without the physical tools it is hard to stay in this league. Flutie is a name that comes to mind. Wilson did look great last year. I will wait to pass judgement on him until after the next couple of years. Only because of his size. He has amazin talent no question.
    :eek:
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Don't reach on QB this year - draft Russel Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by finfromthenorth View Post
    Without the physical tools it is hard to stay in this league. Flutie is a name that comes to mind. Wilson did look great last year. I will wait to pass judgement on him until after the next couple of years. Only because of his size. He has amazin talent no question.
    Besides height what physical tools is Wilson lacking? The dude is a baller, end of story. Oh and Seattle has set him up nicely to succeed.
    Quote Quote  

5. -35
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Russell Wilson to my eyes was clearly the best rookie quarterback in 2012. It's all about how you finish. He finished. Luck and Griffin couldn't.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    The Man - Formerly Grush

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    Russell Wilson to my eyes was clearly the best rookie quarterback in 2012. It's all about how you finish. He finished. Luck and Griffin couldn't.
    I still liked what I saw out of Luck better last season, but Wilson was always one of those guys who impressed me in college. If he could throw behind that Wisconsin line he can throw behind an NFL line. Long term I think Wilson is going to be in the Tannehill tier (that's Tanny rising, not Wilson falling), playing second fiddle to Luck. I have reservations about RGIII having a long career unfortunately, he's a hard one to peg long term.

Sign: Daryn Colledge
    Draft: 1. LB Ryan Shazier 2. OL Joel Bitonio 3. WR Donte Moncrief 4. OL Brandon Thomas 5. OT Laurent Duvernay Tardif 6. RB Bo Oliver 7. TBD

LT Albert LG Smith C Pouncey RG Colledge RT Bitonio
    Quote Quote  

7. -37
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    For much of last year I would have agreed. But the way Russell Wilson finished the regular season and the playoffs told me this player isn't just some flash in the pan. He's going to end up one of the league's elite passers.

He already was. That's what is so stupefying. In the playoffs this year, there was virtually no difference between facing Russell Wilson and facing one of those elite guys. If you're a defense, the way Russell Wilson comes on you like a freight train once he gets in rhythm, was just as scary as facing one of those guys.

The test to REALLY be an elite guy is not to just flash for a few games though. Or not even a whole season. It's to keep that up over time. But from what I already knew about him coming out, and from what I've seen of him so far, he's shown me what I need to see in order to think...he will.
    Quote Quote  

8. -38
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    Agreed. The kid was a beast.

Luck played out his damn mind against us, he was spectacular. But he also struggled in a few other games. Griffin played great in an offense perfectly designed to help him succeed... short term. I have a hard time being objective because I can't separate the brilliance of it from the utter stupidity of it.
    Last edited by where's th'fish; 05-01-2013 at 11:44 AM.
    Why so gloomy?
    Quote Quote  

9. -39
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by where's th'fish View Post
    Agreed. The kid was a beast.

Luck played out his damn mind against us, he was spectacular. But he also struggled in a few other games. Griffin played great in an offense perfectly designed to help him succeed... short term. I have a hard time being objective because I can't separate the brilliance of it from the utter stupidity of it.
    The Redskins this year were the model for how you can tailor an offense to fit a quarterback with special skills. Griffin was brilliant in that offense when healthy. But he also did the same thing he did in college...took hits, and got hurt. He couldn't finish the season because of that.
    Quote Quote  

10. -40
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Wilson played outstanding as a rookie, but the reality is that he was asked to do the least with the most around him in relation to the rest of the rookie QB class. He only attempted 393 passes, which tied Robert Griffin for the least passing attempts among the rookie class of QB's. Seattle ran the football 55% of the time which led the league. This is just a really good football team, and Wilson was a great fit.

If you look at a guy like Weeden for example, who was playing on a terrible Cleveland team, he was literally asked to carry that poor team from day 1. He attempted 35 passes in week 1.... 37 in week 2.... 43 in week 3.... 52 in week 4.... 35 in week 5.... etc. Not to mention, his receivers were terrible. Particularly Greg Little, who's drop percentage was tops in the league. Exactly half his schedule was against playoff teams, including the Super Bowl champion Ravens twice (Ravens twice, Bengals twice, Colts, Broncos, Redskins, and Packers). Weeden's 517 attempts were 2nd only to Andrew Luck in the rookie class.

Speaking of Andrew Luck, he was undoubtably the best rookie quarterback in my opinion. I don't know if any quarterback carried their team more than Luck did.... and that includes Peyton Manning. He attempted 627 passes while throwing to two rookie TE's and two rookie receivers, and led a team to the playoffs that was bad enough to pick him with the #1 overall pick less than a year prior.

Tannehill and Weeden were about the same during their rookie seasons.
    Quote Quote