Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cosell: Tannehill throws better on the run than Luck or Griffin

1. -1
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Cosell: Tannehill throws better on the run than Luck or Griffin

Getty Images
    With talk around the NFL that Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill could be drafted as high as fourth overall to the Browns, more analysts are talking up Tannehill’s tape. And Greg Cosell of NFL Films has offered up an assessment that gives plenty of reason to like Tannehill’s chances of going very high in next month’s NFL draft.

“One benefit of Tannehill’s three-quarters delivery is it allows him to throw very well on the move, both to his right and impressively, to his left,” Cosell writes. “In fact, he’s a better, more accurate passer on the run than either Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin. Tannehill was very efficient off the boot-action pass game. That will translate very well to the NFL.”

Cosell has some concerns about Tannehill, including missing some throws, a tendency to lock his front leg as he delivers the ball, and poor reads of the defense — especially not seeing the safeties. And Cosell said he didn’t see the improvement over the course of Tannehill’s 19-start college career that he would have liked.

But Cosell says Tannehill compares favorably to last year’s 12th overall pick, Christian Ponder, and that some quarterback-needy team is going to take him high.

“Tannehill is a better prospect than Christian Ponder was a year ago,” Cosell writes. “Tannehill possesses the skill set to be a quality NFL starter. At this point, he would be best in a quick-rhythm, short-to-intermediate passing game that featured play-action and boot-action passes. One thing we know for certain: He likely will be drafted higher than his body of work suggests he should be.”

Maybe as high as fourth to the Browns.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'd have been fine with Tannehill if we hadn't wasted millions on Gerard, and the slew of "back-up" OL's. We should have signed Winston at RT instead and taken a WR in the 2nd or 3rd but now... we've got a nice set of "back-up" OL's in case God-knows-who-at-RT or RG gets hurt.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    he does throw very well on the move...i don't think its any better than luck or rg3 though...but its another impressive quality of tannehills...
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Pay the man!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pennyslvania
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think it's going to be hard for Ireland to pass on Tannehill.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Steamboat Springs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'd like to be a fly on the wall when Sherman is discussing his thoughts on Tannehill with Ireland and Philbin.

Reshad "GET IT ON" Jones
    gettin it on!
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If we get him, he better throw well on the run because the way our line was he will be running away to save his life.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 912013 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11
    Quote Originally Posted by soldier1385 View Post
    If we get him, he better throw well on the run because the way our line was he will be running away to save his life.
    You style my thunder!
    The above post is not subject to penalty under the TOS I declare the Hayden Fox defense. " It is impossible for the staff to know my context therefore I cannot be penalized"

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Throwing on the run is generally used on a few designed plays or when the pocket breaks down. The problem with those guys is that they never stay in the pocket, they take off trying to make something happen....and it usually doesn't. It also results in holding calls.
    I would rather we take a pocket passer that can take a step up or to the side to elude the rush. If the lineman know exactly where the QB is, they can control their man to protect him.

I like Tannehill, but not at #8. We can get a better QB in the first round next year. (most of the QB needy teams will have filled their needs this year, the amount of competition for those elite guys next year should be minimal). We should look for a developmental guy in rounds 2-5 and hope we can strike gold, while taking play makers. We need WR's desperately.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Finaholic

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Sanford Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The team doesn't want a Alpha receiver, you probably was one of those fans protesting LOL you want the team to wait until next year to get a QB but you want to win right now.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I agree with Cosell. Its one of the things that stood out about Tannehill over and over again. Put him on the move, he still completes passes, and a lot of times deep ones.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote