Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Matt Moore was the 12th best QB in the NFL last season

1. -71
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Dolphins HomerDolphin
    Eh lug. Your arguing with someone whos just gonna say that you can't just look at the stats and you have to look at the big picture and numbers don't tell the whole story etc etc etc and will then think he won the argument. So all those stats you posted, I'm afraid are in a wasted effort. I posted how qbr is mathematically one of the most telling stats in terms of teams success. I used numbers going back 40 years. It was simply dismissed because it didn't fit a certain agenda. You can't argue with people like that
    Quote Quote  

2. -72
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    without your defense does sanchez inspire you with his sub 60 percent completion ratio and below 75 career QBR? that carolina team was absolutely horrible with and withouth moore's poor play they were completely devoid of coaching and talent. what's sanchez's excuse?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaark View Post
    That's the point, it's hard to stay silent when an outsider inserts himself to criticize Moore when hypocritically he's still championing what's dawned on most everyone and finally many jest fans as the worst starting QB in the league.
    I have never once said the D wasn't vital in our wins but even w/ the greatest defenses(our D hasn't been a truly dominat D) you need quality QB play to win.

So Moore carried them, so the team that was 12-4 in '08 all of a sudden was horrible until the great Matt Moore lifted them up? why couldn't he do it in 2010? Jonathan Stewart & Deangelo Williams not good enough? you don't like Steve Smith?

If Sanchez is the worst starting QB in the lague we mist have had the best team around the QB in the league to reach 2 title games so we know that isn't true but keep spouting off your insane jealous ramblings

yeah, hard to find the golden lining to a qb who's rated 28th, 23rd, 27th the last 3 years.
    It's a good thing we are smart enough football fans to not judge based solely on QB rating.
    Quote Quote  

3. -73
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry_Bagpipe View Post
    Eh lug. Your arguing with someone whos just gonna say that you can't just look at the stats and you have to look at the big picture and numbers don't tell the whole story etc etc etc and will then think he won the argument. So all those stats you posted, I'm afraid are in a wasted effort. I posted how qbr is mathematically one of the most telling stats in terms of teams success. I used numbers going back 40 years. It was simply dismissed because it didn't fit a certain agenda. You can't argue with people like that
    I assume you think Chad Pennington, Matt Schaub, Daunte Culpepper & Jeff Garcia were better than Dan Marino? they had a better career rating than Dan so they must be better, right? This is why we don't judge based only on stats and ratings. Maybe some day you will get it.
    Quote Quote  

4. -74
    Super Moderator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Aberdeen
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Arsenal shield
    Quote Originally Posted by LikeUntoGod View Post
    Find, since you must turn my Matt Moore thread into a Mark Sanchez thread, lets talk about him.

In 2009 Sanchez had a QB rating of 63.0 which made him the 28th QB in the NFL (Behind Chad Henne at 22)
    In 2010 Sanchez had a QB rating of 75.3 which made him the 27th QB in the NFL (Behind Chad Henne at 26)
    In 2011 Sanchez had a QB rating of 78.2 which made him the 23th QB in the NFL (Behind Matt Moore at 12)

Sanchez has always been condiered the starter for the Jets so he has always gooten almost all the training camp, preseason and during the season practice snaps.

On the other hand, Matt Moore and Tim Tebow both did not.

In 2011, Matt Moore was clearly better then Mark Sanchez in every area. From completion percentage, to yards per attempt to touchdowns per attempts, completions over 20 and over 40 yards. It is not even close or up for debate.

But there are a lot of people (including most Jets fans) who think Sanchez had a better season then Tebow did. They are wrong.

Tebow did have a lower QB rating of 72.9 (still better then Sanchez's first season) and his completion percentage was lower at 46.5%.

But let us go into the stats. Remembering that Tebow had no training camp and did not start or take practice reps till the 5th game and that the Broncos traded away their most experienced WR in Brandon Lloyd.

Here are the numbers broken down by attempts.

Sanchez and Tebow both had a 6.4 yards per attempt average (Moore's was 7.2 for example)

Sanchez threw for a touchdown every 20.8 attempts.
    Tebow threw for a touchdown every 22.5 attempts.

Sanchez threw a interception every 30.1 attempts.
    Tebow threw a interception every 46.1 attempts.

Sanchez completed a over 20 yard pass every 13.9 attempts.
    Tebow completed a over 20 yard pass every 10.8 attempts.

Sanchez completed a over 40 yard pass every 271.5 attempts.
    Tebow completed a over 40 yard pass every 45.1 attempts.

(once again, Matt Moore beat all these numbers)

But for me, the best way to contrast the two QB is in the head to head meeting.

On Nov 17th, 2011, the Jets played the Broncos.

Sanchez was 24 out of 40 for 252 yards. Tebow was only 9 for 20 for only 104 yards.

Which QB helped his team more?

If you look at the game log you see that Sanchez in the 3rd Qtr threw a interception that Andre Goodman returned for a touchdown.

With 5:54 left in the game. Tebow took the Broncos on a 12 play, 95 yard drive and finished it with a 20 yard run for the winning touchdown.

So which QB had a better day?

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=3111 17007

Thanks for playing and please start your own "I love Sanchez thread".

Your Bud; LUG
    Great point's, but i still would go with Sanchez as a Q/B, But would go with Tebow as a football player, he has more to offer........
    Quote Quote  

5. -75
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    I assume you think Chad Pennington, Matt Schaub, Daunte Culpepper & Jeff Garcia were better than Dan Marino? they had a better career rating than Dan so they must be better, right? This is why we don't judge based only on stats and ratings. Maybe some day you will get it.
    career QBR is only useful if you're comparing apples to apples oranges to oranges, for instance Dan played most of his career when the running game and a strong defense won most of the championships, while those others you listed clearly came into there own as the league moved more into a pass first and let god sort them out. Also if you wanna go by career you should also make sure you're only adding up the number of years for the person with the least amount of years, and then only the years in which they clearly were a starter.
    "I didn't feel like we had to score," Tannehill said. "I had the mindset we were going to score."

Quote Quote  

6. -76
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    I have never once said the D wasn't vital in our wins but even w/ the greatest defenses(our D hasn't been a truly dominat D) you need quality QB play to win.

So Moore carried them, so the team that was 12-4 in '08 all of a sudden was horrible until the great Matt Moore lifted them up? why couldn't he do it in 2010? Jonathan Stewart & Deangelo Williams not good enough? you don't like Steve Smith?

If Sanchez is the worst starting QB in the lague we mist have had the best team around the QB in the league to reach 2 title games so we know that isn't true but keep spouting off your insane jealous ramblings

It's a good thing we are smart enough football fans to not judge based solely on QB rating.
    FWIW, Cam Newton, who coming out was a much better QB than Sanchez is even now, did worse than Moore with an upgraded offense including 2 TE studs plus everyone you mentioned and his own legs as an additional weapon, not to mention a coach who cared and wasn't a lame duck going 1-5 and 2-10 vs Moore's 1-4 in 2010. So your argument is only relevent if you're wearing homer glasses. And as far as reaching 2 title games, doesn't that mean he also lost 2 title games? But you know, I will give him credit for a legitimate run in 2010 but even reaching the post season in 2009 was more due to Peyton Manning and Jim Caldwell so I won't even get into the competition before Peyton and Colts spanked and blanked Sanchez in the last 31 minutes when it actually counted.

Since you take such pride in losing big games, it's important to note that "winning 2 post season games" is the best the jest ever did, and that includes that farce of a 2 game post season 1969 superbowl "victory" so to that extent I'll grant you credit where due

Either Tim Tebow is a dummass or he's smart, you'll have to decide since obviously he felt he had a better chance of beating out Sanchez than Gabbert for the starter job. And if he thought he couldn't beat out arguably the worst QB in the league last season, what does that make Sanchez?

"geno and idzik have done the impossible: make jets fans wish
    the tanny/sanchez days were here again" > Darksider, Jetnation

Quote Quote  

7. -77
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    "so is your Dolphins/Finheaven obsession, of course the second a thread pops up with anything positive Dolphins related, in comes Junc to make a negative remark to downplay the entire thing and eventually turn the thread into a 13-17 page same argument about Sanchez and eventually out comes the "back to back title games" and here we go again......it literally never ends "

From Page 3, Post #25

unfortunatelty it is that predictable as we now are on the 8th page, already seen "title games" brought up, and back to a thread of debating Sanchez
    Quote Quote  

8. -78
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    Back to the who was a better QB than marino, perhaps the most telling stat on profootball focus is ... who was most like marino for his career...

Jeff Garcia

Hmmm Duante Culpepper... strange I see jeff garcia on this list... maybe comparing apples to apples has some merit.

Hmmm Chad pennington sure isn't compared to any HOFer's

Last edited by Wildbill3; 03-30-2012 at 01:37 PM.
    Quote Quote  

9. -79
    The Oracle

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Sanchez is simply not a top 20 QB in anyway that you look at it.

Matt Moore kicked his ass in every single area of playing the position.
    Quote Quote  

10. -80
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Dolphins HomerDolphin
    career QBR is only useful if you're comparing apples to apples oranges to oranges, for instance Dan played most of his career when the running game and a strong defense won most of the championships, while those others you listed clearly came into there own as the league moved more into a pass first and let god sort them out. Also if you wanna go by career you should also make sure you're only adding up the number of years for the person with the least amount of years, and then only the years in which they clearly were a starter.
    Of course. I just assumed that was obvious. Well i guess i should of known better. QBR is a measurement that is used pertaining to that year. Marino played in a era where it was unheard of to throw for 40tds and 5000 yards(remember elway never threw for 30, ever) To compare a qb rating now with all the changes in the rules to favor the passing game, with a qb rating 30 years ago is asinine. You have more than a few qbs throwing for over 4k yards these days.
    Quote Quote