Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Jets can't make Tebow a gimmick

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Jets can't make Tebow a gimmick

If the Jets really plan to have Tim Tebow take 20 snaps per game, as Rex Ryan said earlier this week, then they wonít be creating a Wildcat package or some specialized role, but a quarterback platoon. A typical team runs 64 offense plays per game. If one quarterback executes one-third of them, he is a co-starter, not an occasional substitute. Quarterback platoons have a long and sometimes ridiculous history in the NFL. Platoons nearly always cause bad feelings and confusion. Platoon arrangements have typically been abandoned to the junk yard of terrible ideas after just few games. http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/46868989/ns/sports-nfl/
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think people are misinterpreting what rex said, he said UP TO 20 snaps a game meaning one game maybe he sees the field for 20 plays but it doesn't mean he'll be under C or in the WC 20 plays. He will get some snaps on STs and on regular packages as well. rex also said some games he may only see 5 snaps, he wants to give opponents a ton to think about and prepare for each week.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jamestown, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    I think people are misinterpreting what rex said, he said UP TO 20 snaps a game meaning one game maybe he sees the field for 20 plays but it doesn't mean he'll be under C or in the WC 20 plays. He will get some snaps on STs and on regular packages as well. rex also said some games he may only see 5 snaps, he wants to give opponents a ton to think about and prepare for each week.
    Typical Junc spin. You don't know how the Jests will use Timmie any more than Ryan did when he made that statement.

I'll acquit Jabba the Jest of lobbying for the Jests to trade for Timmie. Woody Johnson is already announcing that he's the culprit -- as long as Timmie is "successful". That said, Ryan has been handed Timmie and told to "do something" with him, so that's what he'll try to do.

As I've said elsewhere, I give Sanchez 3 games to give a reasonable impression of Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady, or be buried under the "Tebow! Tebow! Tebow!" chants from the Tebots and their followers in the stands. Whether Ryan wants to or not, he'll be forced to insert Timmie as the Jests starter du jour.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    There isn't any spin, it's being logical. There's no way tebow is taking 20 snaps at QB in any game barring a Sanchez injury.

You do know Woody was joing when he made that comment, right?

Rex won't be forced to do anything, Rex is strong enough to not allow outside influences to make personnel decisions for him. Now if the team is 0-3, 1-4 then I could see him making a move but that's not likely to happen.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jamestown, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    There isn't any spin, it's being logical. There's no way tebow is taking 20 snaps at QB in any game barring a Sanchez injury.

You do know Woody was joing when he made that comment, right?

Rex won't be forced to do anything, Rex is strong enough to not allow outside influences to make personnel decisions for him. Now if the team is 0-3, 1-4 then I could see him making a move but that's not likely to happen.
    Junc, I'm assuming you're an adult who has a job. You know very well that if your boss orders you to do something, you do it. Well, Ryan is in that position.

I think Johnson and Tannebaum decided trading for Tebow was a "win-win" situation. I think they're afraid that Sanchez will be revealed as a bust as the #5 pick in 2009. I think that they think Tebow will take the heat off them if that happens. I think that the "plan" to use both QBs in some kind of platoon system as the article describes is intended to totally shift the blame for Sanchez's failure onto him and let the guys who drafted him slither away relatively untouched.

Just my cynical opinion. There's nobody more skilled at covering their butts after screwing up big time than execs and their henchmen.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinzua View Post
    Junc, I'm assuming you're an adult who has a job. You know very well that if your boss orders you to do something, you do it. Well, Ryan is in that position.

I think Johnson and Tannebaum decided trading for Tebow was a "win-win" situation. I think they're afraid that Sanchez will be revealed as a bust as the #5 pick in 2009. I think that they think Tebow will take the heat off them if that happens. I think that the "plan" to use both QBs in some kind of platoon system as the article describes is intended to totally shift the blame for Sanchez's failure onto him and let the guys who drafted him slither away relatively untouched.

Just my cynical opinion. There's nobody more skilled at covering their butts after screwing up big time than execs and their henchmen.
    Woody Johnson is not ordering Rex to play Tebow, Woody wants to win. The best chance for the Jets to win is to start Mark Sanchez, Woody isn't an idiot.

Busts don't help their team make 2 title games in 3 years. All the moves made this offseason were in place to help sanchez, you don't do that if you are looking to get rid of him or if you think he may not pan out.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jamestown, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Woody Johnson is not ordering Rex to play Tebow, Woody wants to win. The best chance for the Jets to win is to start Mark Sanchez, Woody isn't an idiot.

Busts don't help their team make 2 title games in 3 years. All the moves made this offseason were in place to help sanchez, you don't do that if you are looking to get rid of him or if you think he may not pan out.
    Just stop, Junc. Unless you are Woody Johnson, you don't know whether he's ordering Ryan to play Tebow or not, and you can't speak to his motivation, either. In other words, your opinion is just as much based on wishful thinking as mine is based on my interpreting what I see coming out of the Jets' FO.

A mediocre rookie season followed by a slightly improved sophomore campaign followed by a serious production decline in his third season says "bust" rather than "star". You can spin that however you want, but that's the graph of Sanchez's career.

Sanchez's extension will make it easier for the Jets to cut him if they want. Signing FA QB Drew Stanton could be construed as a move to help Sanchez but trading for Tebow cannot be interpreted by anyone NOT wearing green-tinted glasses as being anything but a "plan B" in expectation of Sanchez failing to play very well. With the Tebot crazies in the stands in chanting for their hero whenever Sanchez throws an INC or an INT or fails to make a first down, you can lie to yourself and say that the Jests brass will ignore them, but they won't. They didn't in Denver where neither John Fox nor John Elway even liked Tebow. I doubt that Tannenbaum and/or Johnson hold out as long. The only way Sanchez keeps his job is if he starts playing like Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees, and the Jets simply don't have the WRs to pull that off.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    I like big drums and I cannot lie.......

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think it is just a way to get teams to waste time game planning for him.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jamestown, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SirDrums View Post
    I think it is just a way to get teams to waste time game planning for him.
    They will only do that if Tebow proves to be effective. He can only be effective if he uses the threat of running to pass successfully on a regular basis, which Tebow really can't do. In the Donkeys' losses to the Pats twice, to the Bills, and to the Chiefs, those teams contained Timmie's running and forced him to pass. In the WC, if all Timmy can do effectively is run, then teams will prepare to stop that and hope that Timmie doesn't get lucky -- or that their own defenders do.
    Quote Quote