Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: brandon weeden at #8

1. -11
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You don't take Brandon Weeden at 8 for the same reason you don't take Ryan Mallett at 15. The NFL has settled on the value of Weeden and it's significantly below #8 overall. To me when it comes to this position you decide who you want and then you pay the market price or something a little above it if you want to take risk out of the equation. Taking Weeden at #8 when he's set to fall all the way to #41 overall, for instance...that's not "a little above" market price.

Now, if the market were telling me they value Brandon Weeden in the top 15, that's a different story. He'd be the exact same player, I'd have the exact same evaluation on him, and I'd take him at #8 overall.

Draft values are never absolute, IMO. They're always relative.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    you want brandon weeden stay in front of clevelands high 2nd rounder imo...cause thats where i think its going down...i could see cleveland coming up a bit if need be but i still say he won't be picked in round 1 but if he does it will be cleveland trading up very late...very late

my moneys on cleveland in round 2...
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Shreveport,La
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I was just throwing it out there as a possibility...you can project who is goin where,but you really don't know after griffin gets picked at #2. Likely he won't be chosen,but nothing surprises me along that spot anymore with any team that fringes on a top 10 selection. History shows that there is always a player or 2 in the top 10 you simply did not see coming.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    TANNERECTION!!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    My thoughts were whoever lost out on #2 between the Skins and Browns would be the most likely buyer on Weeden in the early second. I could see them trading down from 21 to get the extra pick and Weeden. They are sitting pretty early in the draft.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    you want brandon weeden stay in front of clevelands high 2nd rounder imo...cause thats where i think its going down...i could see cleveland coming up a bit if need be but i still say he won't be picked in round 1 but if he does it will be cleveland trading up very late...very late

That's probably correct. The Browns could take him at #22 overall in order to take risk out of the equation, but the question is what happened to Ryan Tannehill? Did the Browns take him or was it someone else? The chances of the Browns and Dolphins both still needing a quarterback and focusing on Weeden are actually kind of low.

I could actually see a repeat of 2007 happening. The Browns will pass on Tannehill at #4 because they don't have a high enough grade for him, Miami could pass on Tannehill at #8 overall for whatever BS reason the Dolphins decide to do anything they do nowadays, and Tannehill could fall down the board to where the Browns find themselves trading up from #22 overall to make sure they get him above the Eagles, as a for instance. The Browns actually have quite the arsenal of draft picks. They have #004, #022, #037, #067, #100, #118, #139, #160, #204, #205, #211, #245 and #247. They could package together their #067 and #118 picks and move up from #22 to #14.

That would send Weeden tumbling all the way in my opinion to pick #041 where the Buffalo Bills would snap him up just in front of the Dolphins. Or perhaps the Chiefs get anxious and trade ahead of #42 and #41 to get him.

But all of this is predicated on both Miami and Cleveland not taking Tannehill in the top 10. I'm not sure that's going to happen. I think Miami goes after Tannehill at #8.

If Miami were to choose not to do that, and the Browns don't somehow come away with Tannehill, and there's a real staring match between the Browns and Dolphins over Weeden, you could see the Browns take Weeden at #22 just because it would be too easy for the Dolphins to move in front of their #37 overall pick. Getting from #42 to #37 only costs the equivalent of a low 4th round pick. Miami has a high 4th round pick and they have two high 3rd round picks. They could jump from #42 to #33 or #34 very easily, probably only having to give up their #103 overall pick. If the Browns are banking on Weeden they may decide they can't take that chance. They'll force Miami to trade all the way up from #42 overall to #21 overall, which could not only be cost-prohibitive, but there may just not be any interest from the Bengals or Titans in doing something like that. Who wants to move their 1st round pick all the way to the mid-2nd, unless they're getting a ridiculous deal?
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    In my opinion, too many variables to speculate on the future of your teamīs QB situation...Isnīt it worth ou 1st, if you definately think heīs the man??? I think it is, regardless of the market value. If we donīt want to gamble on Weeden, take him @ 8, or rik him to a miriad of variables...if, and only if, heīs the man for the job!
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    That's probably correct. The Browns could take him at #22 overall in order to take risk out of the equation, but the question is what happened to Ryan Tannehill? Did the Browns take him or was it someone else? The chances of the Browns and Dolphins both still needing a quarterback and focusing on Weeden are actually kind of low.

I could actually see a repeat of 2007 happening. The Browns will pass on Tannehill at #4 because they don't have a high enough grade for him, Miami could pass on Tannehill at #8 overall for whatever BS reason the Dolphins decide to do anything they do nowadays, and Tannehill could fall down the board to where the Browns find themselves trading up from #22 overall to make sure they get him above the Eagles, as a for instance. The Browns actually have quite the arsenal of draft picks. They have #004, #022, #037, #067, #100, #118, #139, #160, #204, #205, #211, #245 and #247. They could package together their #067 and #118 picks and move up from #22 to #14.

That would send Weeden tumbling all the way in my opinion to pick #041 where the Buffalo Bills would snap him up just in front of the Dolphins. Or perhaps the Chiefs get anxious and trade ahead of #42 and #41 to get him.

But all of this is predicated on both Miami and Cleveland not taking Tannehill in the top 10. I'm not sure that's going to happen. I think Miami goes after Tannehill at #8.

If Miami were to choose not to do that, and the Browns don't somehow come away with Tannehill, and there's a real staring match between the Browns and Dolphins over Weeden, you could see the Browns take Weeden at #22 just because it would be too easy for the Dolphins to move in front of their #37 overall pick. Getting from #42 to #37 only costs the equivalent of a low 4th round pick. Miami has a high 4th round pick and they have two high 3rd round picks. They could jump from #42 to #33 or #34 very easily, probably only having to give up their #103 overall pick. If the Browns are banking on Weeden they may decide they can't take that chance. They'll force Miami to trade all the way up from #42 overall to #21 overall, which could not only be cost-prohibitive, but there may just not be any interest from the Bengals or Titans in doing something like that. Who wants to move their 1st round pick all the way to the mid-2nd, unless they're getting a ridiculous deal?
    yep...that all makes sense to me...cleveland like you said may not want to risk it at #37 given how cheaply we could jump them...not to mention other teams in round 2...so i could see weeden at #22...possible i don't think probable though

as for miami i will be floored if we pass on tannehill at #8...floored....heck i think moving up to #7 to ensure someone can't come up in front of us with jax is very possible...i can see ireland doing that all day...a 3rd rounder to ensure tannehill at #7
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    1st Ballot Hall of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    CUSE
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It only takes one team to do something this stupid....I hope its not Miami.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    One thing is certain, if the Dolphins plan to pass on Tannehill at #8 then they should damn well have a better PR strategy in place than "I want to turn those thumbs-downs into thumbs-up with this great kick returner and his family".

They ought to be able to anticipate that the crowd will be upset, even the people that didn't want Tannehill.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hey Ck you made a comment on being upset with Miami taking Cousins from Michigan State. He is that 4 year starter 3 year team captian etc that Miami has proved in the past liked to draft. Obvious there is a downside on the guy you do not like for the phins. Would you mind sharing your thoughts on the guy? Thanks
    Quote Quote