Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

View Poll Results: Which new care should I get?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chevrolet Malibu

3 21.43%
  • Ford Fusion

5 35.71%
  • Volkswagen Passat

6 42.86%

Thread: Looking at a new car, and you can help...

1. -1
    RIP Gary Moore

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Temecula, Ca.
    Thanks / No Thanks

Looking at a new car, and you can help...

It is between a Chevrolet Malibu, Ford Fusion, and a Volkswagen Passat. Looking for something we can travel comfortable with my in laws for 50 mile trips each way. The Expedition is getting too hard for them to get into. I appreciate your thoughts in advance.

John

Thanks to Like2God for the great Avatar/Sig!

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Super Moderator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Aberdeen
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Arsenal shield
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Doesnt play well with others

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    In a Van down by the rive
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'd personally stay away from Volkswagon...but that's just me. I had a friend that had a Passat, and she spent FORTUNES keeping that thing on the road...which always surprised me cause I do know quite a bit about the german philosophy behind engineering.

She's not the only one I know that has had lots of problems with Volkswagon either.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Super Moderator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Aberdeen
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Arsenal shield
    Quote Originally Posted by The Confessor View Post
    I'd personally stay away from Volkswagon...but that's just me. I had a friend that had a Passat, and she spent FORTUNES keeping that thing on the road...which always surprised me cause I do know quite a bit about the german philosophy behind engineering.

She's not the only one I know that has had lots of problems with Volkswagon either.

Is that in the us, because over here they have been fine...............
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Doesnt play well with others

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    In a Van down by the rive
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ROADRUNNER View Post
    Is that in the us, because over here they have been fine...............

Yep, talking solely about in the US...and as I mentioned, really really surprised me. German's are typically the most analretentive Mechanical Engineers on the planet. I worked with quite a few here making lasers, and the process' they had were often borderline ridiculous. Older Vee-Dubs were very well engineered and made.

I also know the new beetle is nothing but a plastic bubble. If you are ever in front of one at night, its interesting to see the headlights bobbling around all over the place. Amazing one can see at night while driving one to be honest.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Personally I'd do some research, especially before buying a brand like VW which has been beset with all sorts of mechanical problems. If you check the yahoo auto user reviews, the kelly blue book user reviews and the user reviews on Edmunds .. since users usually have no axes to grind and will praise or condemn based on their own experiences, and get hold of the annual Consumer Reports Auto issue which color codes each vehicle and model going back 5 years by individual components as well as overall.. you'll be able to make an informed decision.

If you're looking at that price level, my friend's wife just got a new Hyundai Sonata (he drives Mercs) which he's been very impressed by. Great 10 year powertrain warranty, good JD Powers customer satisfaction rating and it's nice sized, stylish with good gas mileage. Hyundai makes a really good car now.. out of curiosity last year I test drove the Genesis which reminded me of a more cost effective and better waranteed 5 series Bimmer. It turned out not to be, but for the price I found it to be not too far off either.

ANNOUNCING a new FH smiley. Use it judiciously and selectively as to not diminish its impact!

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Phins & Philly Sports

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'd go with the Chevy Malibu.

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    1st Ballot Hall of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    CUSE
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I love my vw cc and I had a Betta before that. Fact is if you take care of your vehicle it will run forever...vw don't get great gas mileage so that could be something to consider but they hold their value quite well...so do fords for that matter..personal style is where your going to have to make some tough choices...generally speaking foreign cars are ahead of the curve in this dept but ford has caught up vast...personally I would remove the Malibu just based on resale value alone but that's just me.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Finheaven Hall of Shame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hotel California
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Go with the VW.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    RIP Gary Moore

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Temecula, Ca.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaark View Post
    Personally I'd do some research, especially before buying a brand like VW which has been beset with all sorts of mechanical problems. If you check the yahoo auto user reviews, the kelly blue book user reviews and the user reviews on Edmunds .. since users usually have no axes to grind and will praise or condemn based on their own experiences, and get hold of the annual Consumer Reports Auto issue which color codes each vehicle and model going back 5 years by individual components as well as overall.. you'll be able to make an informed decision.

If you're looking at that price level, my friend's wife just got a new Hyundai Sonata (he drives Mercs) which he's been very impressed by. Great 10 year powertrain warranty, good JD Powers customer satisfaction rating and it's nice sized, stylish with good gas mileage. Hyundai makes a really good car now.. out of curiosity last year I test drove the Genesis which reminded me of a more cost effective and better waranteed 5 series Bimmer. It turned out not to be, but for the price I found it to be not too far off either.
    I have done research and have talked to my dad who is a retired gear head. They are all very close that is why I asked for feedback. The 2013 Malibu is out now, and the 2013 Fusion will be out in a couple of months. My niece just got a passat for her family. My wife's expedition is over 10 years old and gas out here in Cali is very expensive. Plus we need something my in laws can get in and out of easier.
    Quote Quote