Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Tannehill over Weeden or Cousins?!

1. -11
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Superman logo2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by finfanaz View Post
    That's a fairly bold statement, to say someone has "peaked" when they haven't even joined the NFL is just wrong. So you're saying that two years from now Weeden won't be any better after learning and practicing in the NFL? Hard for me to get on board with that..

This age thing with Weeden is being way overblown.... Hypothetical: Weeden starts day one and is a solid franchise QB till he's 35 (7 Years). So just cause you aren't getting 10 years due to him being older coming into the league he's not worth a high pick? That's laughable.. If a GM/Coach feels Weeden is the one then they pick him for that reason.. What kind of arrogant coaches do you guys think are running around the league? "I'm not going to draft that guy high cause he could only give me 7 instead of 10" When franchise QBs are rare as hell you think coaches are projecting their team 10 years from now?

All i'm saying is I don't think teams are looking at his age as a negative. Unless it's a team that has Weeden and another qb "neck and neck" as far as talent. Then I could see them saying "Hey lets go with the younger guy then". Other than that.. it's a stupid point and he will be drafted where his TALENT puts him. Not his age...
    he wont be able to beat out moore. so why the hell invest in a qb that wont even be 30 untill he starts? have you watch anything but highlights? he doesnt fit this team. th browns would be perfect for him
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Miss July

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Columbia, SC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    All very helpful thank you.

I still am not comfortable taking Tannehill with #8. I am leaning more toward trading down a little for Fletcher Cox or Stephen Hill. If they are still there of course. Pick up Weeden in the 2nd and give him a chance. If he is that talented it is worth it.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Here's a take on why Cousins isn't such a hot prospect:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/nfl...r-congeniality

An arm talent like Jay Cutler can make power throws with a high level of difficulty without good footwork, but a player like Cousins needs torque from his hips to generate good velocity. The main thing he needs to do is step into his release more consistently. Although Cousins told the media before his senior year that he worked on stepping into throws, there was no evidence that his offseason work translated to the playing field.

This is a bad sign, because as polished as Cousins’ image is, it’s not a leap to assume that he either worked on the wrong things or he didn’t work hard enough. His subpar footwork plagued him all year and will hold him back if he doesn’t address it early in his NFL career.
    Why so gloomy?
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    The Oracle

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtiv View Post
    In a way it seems like the attributes that make him attractive also explain why he has so little experience. He was a WR, so he has mid-level college WR athletic ability and good size. He gives you , potentially, Tim Tebow's running skills with actual NFL QB-level throwing ability. From a strictly physical standpoint he's probably the most talented QB in the draft, but his body of work was extremely suspect and the sample size was pretty small. The question is, why did it take him so long to get the starting job? NFL gms can just close their eyes and just pretend that his terrible play in many games, especially in crunch time, was just caused by inexperience. If he can develop a good QB brain, and top-level poise (which I think is an intangible), then he could potentially be better than RG3 and Luck. It's a stretch, but with that kind of size, speed, and arm, stretches are often made.
    Does that help, OP?

Tim Tebow's running skills? Are you serious?

RG3 does not have Tebow's running skills. RG3 is a Mike Vick kind of QB runner, very fast for a QB but he needs a gaping hole. Tim Tebow can run over people, not just around them.

Part of the reason that Tannehill is being hyped is the over hyping of all the 1st round picks. After the first day of the draft every station, newspapers, blog etc etc etc will repeat over and over and over the names of the players picked in the 1st round much like it was the only round. It always drives me crazy.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Reaching for Sanchez provides a cautionary tale when it comes to Tannehill, his experience level, his TD/Ints stats and relative inability to finish games. On the other hand Weeden beat Luck, RG3, Landry Jones and Foles, etc.

ANNOUNCING a new FH smiley. Use it judiciously and selectively as to not diminish its impact!

Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    St Helens, Or
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The fact that both Polian and Parcells like Cousins make me not want him.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaark View Post
    Reaching for Sanchez provides a cautionary tale when it comes to Tannehill, his experience level, his TD/Ints stats and relative inability to finish games. On the other hand Weeden beat Luck, RG3, Landry Jones and Foles, etc.
    Big difference between Sanchez and Tannehill is that Miami doesn't have to start him from day 1, plus they won't have to trade up for him. Granted the Jets gave up peanuts for Sanchez but i guess you get for what you pay for. Having Tannehill's college Coach as his NFL OC is a boon because he'll already know the language, offensive concepts, and will be able to teach the offense the the rest of the team, which can potentially pay major dividends in 2013 and beyond.

I like both Tannehill and Weeden would be happy with either. Miami is drafting a QB this year because they have no one with NFL experience signed through next year. So it might as well be the guy the best chance of turning into a top tier QB. If Miami finishes the draft w/o either of those guys, it means they'll could be starting Osweiler, Foles or Cousins in 2013 and if that happens, this team is screwed.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    The Oracle

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Brandon Weeden beat Robert Griffin 59 to 24, he beat Andrew Luck in the Fiesta Bowl, he beat Landry Jones and he beat Ryan Tannehill.

If we draft Ryan Tannehill, we will have to start him from this season. It is the nature of the beast. Mike Mayock likes Tannehill but he belives that he WILL bE KILLED if played as a rookie.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Cunning Linguist

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would love to draft someone other than Tannehill at 8 and move back into the late 1st round for Weeden (or trade down and grab Weeden later). Either way, to me, Weeden > Tannehill.
    Is his age a factor? Of course it is, that's why he's not going #3 overall, where he may have gone had he been a 22 yr old.
    As someone else has said, I'd rather have a great QB for 7 or 8 years than not at all.

Phin-Phan 66, fan of the...

MIAMI DOLPHINS
    FLORIDA GATORS
    MIAMI HEAT
    MIAMI MARLINS
    FLORIDA PANTHERS
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks