Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Should we consider taking a Center?

1. -11
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by datruth55 View Post
    Do you think he would be the best fit in a ZBS slimm?

Truthfully I spent zero time looking at Centers thinking Pouncey is our starter but with his continued struggles I think getting a Center might fix two issues on the line with one draft pick.

If you're asking about Gerhart, absolutely. The basis of Noel Mazzone's single-back/zone read offense employs zone blocking concepts. IZ and zone read are the bread-and-butter of the running game.

Athletically he's an ideal fit. I think his tape is brilliant.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    St Helens, Or
    Thanks / No Thanks
    There would be riots if we drafted DeCastro then Konz. Our line would be awesome though.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    That's actually a very good question... I think Pouncy can be a great RG ..
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i think konz is a better pro prospect than wizniewski when he came out...i thought konz last year despite carimi and moffitt was the best pro prospect on that wisconsin oline...that kid moves people off the ball has very good feet makes solid sustained contact on the move and gets to the 2nd level...i think konz is a steal late in round 1
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    1st Ballot Hall of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    CUSE
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I thought Pouncey played really well last year..and I dont remeber him having any snapping issues in any of our games last year???
    Quote Quote  

6. -16

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    all that said mike pouncey was a terrific move athlete on the pivot last year..stouter than i expected over massive size and fantastic feet...i swear when i watched that kid turn the corner on a wide pull etc i was watching a te at 300 lbs he moved so well...

i don't see them changing pouncey to left guard...even though many of us thought it was a better fit
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    The Oracle

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    No
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If they are looking at smaller, quicker guys the kid out of Michigan might not a bad pick on day 3.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    the other thing about konz is i'm a believer in the short term at least he can play guard...so there's versatility there

not the athlete mike pouncey is though...but underrated athlete imo
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    all that said mike pouncey was a terrific move athlete on the pivot last year..stouter than i expected over massive size and fantastic feet...i swear when i watched that kid turn the corner on a wide pull etc i was watching a te at 300 lbs he moved so well...

i don't see them changing pouncey to left guard...even though many of us thought it was a better fit

I still think he's a better fit for left guard. I always predicted he'd be a pro bowl caliber player there.

He actually graded out as the only player among the starters on the Dolphins offensive line last year that had a positive run blocking grade. Where he struggled was in pass protection, allowing 15 QB pressures. Only 2 centers in the league allowed more QB pressures than Pouncey. Pass protection was the aspect that he struggled with the most has a prospect at Florida.

His athleticism and ability to hit moving targets with precision is what makes him a prototypical left guard. That's typically you're designated puller when you're running power.

I don't like him at RG because that's typically the guy you leave on an island in pass protection.

The aspect that a lot of people don't realize is that it's more important to have top notch pass protection by your interior 3 lineman than it is your two offensive tackles. Which is why winning teams aren't burying themselves with bloated contracts and investing top resources into the left tackle position. It doesn't matter how good your 2 tackles are if your interior 3 are allowing pressure up the middle.

The elite quarterbacks will step up into the pocket and avoid pressure off the edge allowed by the offensive tackles. They can't step up into the pocket if the pressure is coming up the middle. There's not a quarterback in the league that can deal with pressure up the middle.

It's critical to have your interior 3 offensive lineman be solid in pass protection.
    Quote Quote