Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
Results 71 to 76 of 76

Thread: Coples to the Jets.....

  1. -71
    BasqueAtlantean's Avatar
    Waterlogged

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2012
    Posts:
    74
    vCash:
    1000
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CedarPhin View Post
    What will be more successful? The city of Atlantis or Coples' Jets career?
    Atlanteans(hebrews today known as basques) were scattered thruout the world and schooled humanity...so you tell me.
    Quote Quote  

  2. -72
    nyjunc's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    27,940
    vCash:
    19045
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by JCane View Post
    Five missed field goals. Who misses five field goals in one game. That's about as rare as you being right lol.

    You can say LSU was significantly better when they couldn't even score on Alabama. Game went to overtime as well where Alabama missed a game winning field goal I believe.

    Only teams capable of beating either team was each other. Oklahoma State was too soft up front. Alabama and LSU either one would have mauled those poor kids. Just wouldn't have been fair. The SEC is on a different level. I know you don't want to admit that and will refute it all day long but it's the truth. They're better. Bigger. Faster. Stronger. Every single position. Last five national titles. It'll be tough to put a stop to it this season. I mean South Carolina would be the best team in any of the other conferences lol. That's just sad for everyone else.
    do special teams count? the bottom line is they LOST at HOME, they weren't the best team in the SEC in the reg season.

    Quote Originally Posted by JCane View Post
    It is relatively easy to prove it in a playoff system. The SEC is the only conference that has voted FOR the playoff.

    All of the other conferences have opposed. Why?

    Because all of the other conferences know that a playoff benefits the SEC tremendously. SEC already gets the befit of the doubt because they're better than everyone else. It's not far fetched that you could have four SEC schools in a playoff for the national title. Alabama, LSU, Auburn, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida. Very capable teams that would kick Virginia Tech's teeth in.
    If they win it every year in a playoff they will have earned it unlike being put into a title game every year. I know the best teams are in the SEC but it would be nice to see a title team actually have to win a few tough games before playing for a Nat'l title.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -73
    TheWalrus's Avatar
    1/7/14

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2011
    Posts:
    7,501
    vCash:
    24695
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JCane View Post
    It is relatively easy to prove it in a playoff system. The SEC is the only conference that has voted FOR the playoff.

    All of the other conferences have opposed. Why?

    Because all of the other conferences know that a playoff benefits the SEC tremendously. SEC already gets the befit of the doubt because they're better than everyone else. It's not far fetched that you could have four SEC schools in a playoff for the national title. Alabama, LSU, Auburn, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida. Very capable teams that would kick Virginia Tech's teeth in.
    It would depend on whether an NCAA playoff went with a conference style (ala the NFL) or a bracket style (ala college basketball). In the latter, the SEC teams would most likely dominate. In the former, you could have years like this last one in the NFL.

    I'm not some small school crusader who thinks Boise St. could really compete week in and week out with the SEC. But that's not really the point. What I'm saying is that it doesn't make sense to argue -- either by observation or with an obscurantist mathematical formula -- that the two teams in the Championship Game really are the two "best" teams. If you're willing to do that why not just take it one step further and have the formula decide the champion, too?

    No sport is more dominated by a small group than tennis. In the last six years, only once has a tennis Grand Slam tournament been won by someone other than Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal or Novak Djokovic (this is about as long as it's been since a team outside the SEC has won the national championship, incidentally). Yet they still make those men work their way through the brackets in every case, despite the routine inevitability of some of the early matches.

    College football is the only sport I can think of that violates this basic competitive principle. It must change.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -74
    JCane's Avatar
    Administrator

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2008
    Posts:
    15,869
    vCash:
    6451
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Playoff or not, the SEC earns it. They DO play a tough conference schedule.

    NO ONE ELSE DOES!

    How many tough games does North Carolina have coming this season? NONE. Not ONE.

    Same for Florida State. Virginia Tech. Miami has the toughest schedule in the ACC because we play Notre Dame in Chicago. What a joke of a conference. Not one tough team in any conference outside of the SEC. You keep talking about these guys have to play a few tough games when no one else plays any.

    You guys want a playoff so that it's fair but then people will want to limit the number of SEC schools that can get in. BCS has gotten it right the past five years. SEC winners the past five years. That's how you know they got it right because no one else can beat the SEC except the SEC.

    Alabama over LSU.

    Quote Quote  

  5. -75
    nyjunc's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    27,940
    vCash:
    19045
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    Blog Entries:
    1
    The ACC has been bad for a while but the Big 12(before defections), and others have had worthy teams. Carolina 2 years ago despite all the suspensions nearly beat one of the best SEC teams in SEC Country to start the year.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -76
    TheWalrus's Avatar
    1/7/14

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2011
    Posts:
    7,501
    vCash:
    24695
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JCane View Post
    Playoff or not, the SEC earns it. They DO play a tough conference schedule.

    NO ONE ELSE DOES!

    How many tough games does North Carolina have coming this season? NONE. Not ONE.

    Same for Florida State. Virginia Tech. Miami has the toughest schedule in the ACC because we play Notre Dame in Chicago. What a joke of a conference. Not one tough team in any conference outside of the SEC. You keep talking about these guys have to play a few tough games when no one else plays any.

    You guys want a playoff so that it's fair but then people will want to limit the number of SEC schools that can get in. BCS has gotten it right the past five years. SEC winners the past five years. That's how you know they got it right because no one else can beat the SEC except the SEC.

    Alabama over LSU.
    Champions are not determined in any sport by the number of tough games they win en route to the Championship Game. They are determined by who wins that game.

    Outcomes are a remarkably good way to clear up futile arguments about "better." Georgia went 7-1 in the SEC East last year, yet lost to Boise St. and Michigan St. Does that make them "worse" than those two teams? I honestly have no idea. "Better" and "worse" are arbitrary and subjective terms. The point in sports is winning, and playoff systems are about winning. Mathematical formulas and circular arguments about strength of schedule are not about winning.

    The implication in your argument, I think, is that the SEC is it's own playoff system. Whichever team emerges from that conference is going to be one of the two best teams in the country. But this is a condescending form of bull****, no? Especially when the argument progresses to it's next logical point, which is that the two best SEC teams should play each other in the Championship Game every year regardless whether they've played before. I heard this argument a few times last year with people clamoring for an Auburn/Alabama rematch.

    Why have these pointless arguments -- which often serve to do nothing other than dredge up regional squabbles -- when we can just have a playoff system?
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Jets scale back Quinton Coples workload
    By rent this space in forum Beasts of the AFC East
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 08-13-2012, 08:44 AM
  2. Will Coples Succeed?
    By miadolphins101 in forum Beasts of the AFC East
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-06-2012, 08:33 AM
  3. Tannehill/Coples
    By AP27 in forum NFL Draft Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-26-2012, 01:01 AM
  4. jmo about drafting coples
    By sinPHIN in forum NFL Draft Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-22-2012, 12:10 AM
  5. Quinton Coples
    By DKphin in forum NFL Draft Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-19-2012, 11:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •