Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

View Poll Results: Best draft Ireland has had? No doubt in my mind. Grade Him.

Voters
252. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

118 46.83%
  • B

112 44.44%
  • C

18 7.14%
  • D

4 1.59%
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: So was this Jeff Irelands best draft?

1. -31
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This draft has Philbin written all over it.

I don't want to give ireland TOO MUCH credit but this year definitely BROKE THE MOLD of the drafts we have been forced to watch, train-wreck-like, for the last 10+ years. We finally laid to rest the rotting corpse of inside-out jj/wanny/sparano linemen and defense smallball and got some IMPACT OFFENSIVE PLAYMAKERS. At LONG last.

There was a GREAT OL in there too, not a wannabe unheard-of acorn. I like the Miller, Cunningham and Egnew picks (though I thoroughly despise their schools) and I like some of the UDFA guys too. Not too wild about the 2 DLs but you can't have it all.

But it was mainly... mostly... almost exclusively... THE draft that got us Ryan Tannehill. Our signature guy. I see him as a SOLID top 10 QB for a long time. Is he the next Peyton Manning? Probably not. But if he is surrounded with weapons he will find a way to utilize them and THAT is what I want in QB. Smartness, consistency, and dedication.

I am more leaning toward this being a Philbin/Ross draft that ireland signed on to. Maybe this will help him see the light and start emphasizing the skill players more.
    Ryan Tannehill. Ah, what a relief. Life is good.

2. -32
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    One nice surprise was at least in this draft, even though we didn't get who I personally would have liked at the pick, is that Ireland never made me have a wtf moment. You know the picks like Pat White or Patrick Turner, or the guys like Folsom and Nalbone. Basically I wasn't pissed off after picks in this draft, I actually think they were pretty good picks.

3. -33
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Just to point it out, it's only his second draft and yes, so far it is his best draft.
    2014 Mock Draft

1. Zack Martin - OT/OG - Notre Dame
    2. Chris Borland - ILB - Wisconsin
    3. C.J. Fiedeorowicz - TE - Iowa
    4. Trai Turner - OG - LSU
    5. Brandon Thomas - OT/OG - Clemson
    6. Storm Johnson - RB - South Florida
    7. Calvin Barnett - DT - Oklahoma State

4. -34
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    solid id say

5. -35
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Finland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We'll see. I think last year was pretty solid too, but this one easily has potential to pan out better than that.

6. -36
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    if tannehill pans out this is our best draft since jimmy johnson was here

7. -37
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    His picks fell in like with the public's wishes

8. -38
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    It was a good draft. Got some players that were supposed to go earlier in the draft in later rounds. Some had Miller as the second best RB and going in the 1st round, Ireland got him in the 4th. Martin was projected as a 1st round pick by some also, Ireland got him in the 2nd. Even Matthews was projected by most to go earlier than the 7th round.

My only beef with the draft is that they didn't get a WR earlier than the 6th and 7th round. Still though, hard to find much to complain about. Needed a franchise QB for the future. Check. Solidify the right side of the offensive line. Check. Add a pass rusher. Check. Some help at the WR position. Check. Ireland addressed most of the biggest needs. Put this draft along with last year's draft, his first in charge, and you can get a good feeling why Ross kept him around.

9. -39
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yeah, I love this draft. I love Tannehill's upside and this coaching staff will bring him along the right way. Martin could quickly become the best pass blocking right tackle in football. Miller was an absolute steal in round 4 and I believe the Dolphins will find a way to get him and Bush on the field at the same time. Getting Bush in space needs to be a priority. I also wouldn't be surprised if Egnew caught 50 passes as a rookie. He'll be a good one. On the downside, I just don't know about Vernon. He's boom or bust and I might have traded up for Curry instead. But, Ireland did a nice job filling a lot of needs. It's pretty clear he is looking ahead something that hasn't really happened here in a long time.

10. -40
    Finheaven Hall of Shame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hotel California
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Sure was.