Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Grading the Draft: All 32 Teams

Threaded View

1. -11
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    San Diego Chargers

#18 Overall -- Melvin Ingram / DE-OLB / South Carolina

Chargers select my #4 defensive end and #1 3-4 'rush' linebacker here with the 18th pick. I've long felt like Melvin Ingram was one of the top 10 pure talents in this draft, and one of the 5 best athletes regardless of position. Has the movement and open field running skills that can rival many of the RB's in this draft. Probably the most versatile defensive player I scouted in all of college football. He's so good that Spurrier had him on the "Hands Team" to recover onside kicks on special teams.. and in fact went up and recovered a huge one to secure the victory over Georgia. All in all, I think the Chargers got a terrific player here and also a quality kid. He'll probably push former 1st round bust Larry English out of a roster spot. Grade: A

#49 Overall -- Kendall Reyes / DT / UCONN

Reyes was my #7 defensive tackle and had an early 2nd round grade on him, and he came off the board in that range. I actually thought he'd be in play for the Colts at the top of the 2nd round when they chose Coby Fleener. This is a pretty good pick for the Chargers who got him about 15 picks later. Grade: A-

#73 Overall -- Brandon Taylor / S / LSU

They get the #3 safety on my board here who I had graded as an early 3rd round pick which is where he came off the board. I actually like Taylor better than Harrison Smith, who went in the latter part of the 1st round. Terrific player. Does everything above-average and knows how to bring the wood when he hits you, but also a reliable wrap up tackler. Chargers are off to a smokin' start. Grade: A

#110 Overall -- Ladarius Green / TE / UL-Lafayette

The #5 tight end on my board who I had given a mid-4th round grade. The Bolts get good value here for this developmental prospect with some upside as a mismatch against smaller CB's and slower LB's. Won't block you and needs some coaching and added strength....weight. Has time to develope in these areas and learn the trade behind Antonio Gates. Grade: C+

#149 Overall -- Johnnie Troutman / OG / Penn St.

Was never impressed by Troutman and left him off my draft board. Reach. Grade: D

#226 Overall -- David Molk / C / Michigan

Chargers get the #5 center on my board who I had given a 5th round grade late in the process here and get great value. Lack of ideal size pushes him down in the draft, but one of the most scrappy and competitive interior lineman in the draft. Accomplished player and All-Conference selection. Get good value here and a potential starter down the road on the pivot. Grade: B

#250 Overall -- Edwin Baker / RB / Michigan St.

#8 change-of-pace back on my board that I had given a 6th round grade. Came out early and was going to see his carries continue to dwindle like they did this year due to sophomore Le'Veon Bell next year anyway. Average prospect. Worth a late round flyer here for Chargers who got him a little later than I thought he'd come off. Grade: C-
    Last edited by TedSlimmJr; 04-29-2012 at 11:28 PM.
    Quote Quote