Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Grading the Draft: All 32 Teams

1. -71
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Championship teams are built in large part through the UDFA's. They have a choice of where they want to sign based on where they feel they have the best shot to make a roster.

These are the top UDFA signings by each team according to my draft board...

Patriots:

Brad Herman / TE / Iowa

Brandon Bolden / RB / Ole Miss

Dolphins:

Jonas Gray / RB / Notre Dame

Derek Moye / WR / Penn St.

Kelcie McCray / S / Arkansas St.

Jeff Fuller / WR / Texas A&M

Derek Dennis / OG / Temple

Jets:

G.J. Kinne / QB / Tulsa

Marcus Dowtin / LB / North Alabama

Donnie Fletcher / CB / Boston College

Bills:

N/A

Bengals:

Tony Dye / S / UCLA

Kashif Moore / WR / UCONN

Rodney Stewart / RB / Colorado

Browns:

Tashaun Gipson / CB / Wyoming

Garth Gerhart / C / Arizona St.

Bert Reed / WR / Florida St.

Ravens:

Charles Brown / CB / North Carolina

Nick Provo / TE / Syracuse

Bobby Rainey / RB / Western Kentucky

Ishmaa'ily Kitchen / NT / Kent St.

Elliot Henigan / DE-DT / UAB

Steelers:

Marquis Maze / WR / Alabama

Adrian Robinson / DE-OLB / Temple

Colts:

N/A

Jaguars:

Mike Brewster / C / Ohio St.

Jarrett Boykin / WR / Virginia Tech

Nelson Rosario / WR / UCLA

Texans:

Desmond Morrow / CB-S / Toledo

Case Keenum / QB / Houston

Davin Meggett / RB / Maryland

Dwight Jones / WR / North Carolina

Titans:

William Vlachos / C / Alabama

Brandon Barden / TE / Vanderbilt

Broncos:

Duke Ihenacho / S / San Jose St.

Gerell Robinson / WR / Arizona St.

Coryell Judie / CB / Texas A&M

Jerry Franklin / ILB / Arkansas

Anthony Miller / TE / California

Jamie Blatnick / DE-OLB / Oklahoma St.

Eric Page / WR / Toledo

Chargers:

N/A

Chiefs:

Tim Biere / TE / Kansas

Neiko Thorpe / CB-S / Auburn

Dexter Heyman / LB / Louisville

Raiders:

Aaron Henry / S / Wisconsin

Dominique Hamilton / DT / Missouri

Lucas Nix / OG / Pittsburgh

Cowboys:

Darrell Scott / RB / South Florida

Ronald Leary / OG / Memphis

Jeff Adams / OT / Columbia

Eagles:

Chris Polk / RB / Washington

Chase Ford / TE / Miami

Phillip Thomas / S / Syracuse

Giants:

Janzen Jackson / S / McNeese St.

Redskins:

Chase Minnifield / CB / Virginia

Lance Lewis / WR / ECU

Darius Hanks / WR / Alabama

Lennon Creer / RB / Louisiana Tech

Bears:

James Brown / OG-T / Troy

Adrien Cole / ILB / Louisiana Tech

Adonis Thomas / RB / Toledo

Lions:

Carmen Messina / LB / New Mexico

Packers:

Sean Richardson / S / Vanderbilt

Don Barclay / OT-G / West Virginia

Vikings:

Quentin Saulsberry / OG / Mississippi St.

Derrick Coleman / RB / UCLA

Tydreke Powell / DT / North Carolina

Buccaneers:

Leonard Johnson / CB / Iowa St.

Dan Persa / QB / Northwestern

Morkeith Brown / DE / Temple

Tramaine Thomas / S / Arkansas

Falcons:

Jerrell Harris / OLB / Alabama

Panthers:

Tauren Poole / RB / Tennessee

Saints:

Johnny Thomas / S / Oklahoma St.

Jerico Nelson / S / Arkansas

Cardinals:

N/A

49ers:

Al Netter / OG-T / Northwestern

Jewel Hampton / RB / Southern Illinois

Tony Jerod-Eddie / DT / Texas A&M

Rams:

DeAngelo Peterson / H-back / LSU

Sammy Brown / OLB / Houston

Austin Davis / QB / Southern Miss

Noah Keller / ILB / Ohio

Seahawks:

Jermaine Kearse / WR / Washington

Lavasier Tuinei / WR / Oregon
    Quote Quote  

2. -72
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I knew you were fos when I saw the A+ next to Tannehill.

Did you make a similar thread last year?
    Quote Quote  

3. -73
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    actually ted, I would like to see your real thoughts, because unlike the "we hate it" or "we love it" crowd (of which I fall into the second group) getting an objective educated opinion is nice too. so please without the sarcasim?

Quote Quote  

4. -74
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I really would like to see your thoughts. I'm used to disappointment in life. I follow the Dolphins after all

While I think this was one of the better drafts we have had in a awhile, as a long time lurker on these forums, I've always thought you were pretty knowledgeable on this stuff and value your opinion.
    Quote Quote  

5. -75

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Miami Dolphins

#8 Overall -- Ryan Tannehill / QB / Texas A&M

why I like this pick:
    Simple... because it's a quarterback. I always said that I'll forgive busting out on a franchise quarterback in the 1st round more than I would to continuously pass them up. Miami had to take a chance. It's a quarterback league and either the coaching staff, the quarterback himself, or both have to be fairly inept in order to experience little or no success with the way the league is structured now. Tannehill was required to make more NFL caliber throws than just about any quarterback in this draft. By "NFL caliber", I'm referring to the timing and difficulty of the throw based on being tied in to his footwork and progression. The most impressive thing Tannehill may have ever done was lead aTm in receptions while playing the receiver position. That's just a phenomenal achievement for a kid who was biding his time waiting for a chance to play his true position. I'm a big fan of Ryan Tannehill and always have been. I would want to see this kid succeed no matter where he went. The fact that proven quarterback developers are in place helps this pick tremendously. That wouldn't be the case with the previous staff. As soon as Miami drafted him, I said that everyone needed to get behind this kid and support him because he deserves it... not because Ireland drafted him. If they bring him along properly and let him sit for at least half the season if they intend to move Matt Moore around the deadline, etc.... this pick could pay off for Miami in the long run. The list of positives and reason for optimism in regards to Tannehill is long and I've pointed them out throughout this entire process.... going back to his Junior season.

why I don't like this pick: Simple.... because Miami was forced to pass up elite talent because they put themselves in a position where they were forced to reach for a quarterback who I had a 2nd round grade on and generate some buzz, ticket sales, etc. I said it all along and it didn't change when Miami drafted him. Tannehill is a 1st round pick physically, although one thing I've always valued in a quarterback was clutch in his gut. A kid who wins games he's not supposed to win and makes everyone around him better. Tannehill hasn't shown that ability. Miami is reaching for something that hasn't manifested itself on the field yet... even in college. I never thought Tannehill would bust. If anything I feel like he'll be more of a game manager. He's still lacking in situational football knowledge due to inexperience. I would've taken Luke Kuechly here and not apologized for it.

Overall: It was probably the right pick because of the fit, and general desperation in the fanbase. It makes a little more business sense right now than it does from a pure football standpoint, but that could change... and that's why these coaches get paid a lot of money. Whether Tannehill pans out or not, it's probably going to get Miami headed in the right direction for once either way. If he fizzles out, you keep drafting them until you hit. It doesn't set you back any further than sifting through the trash heap of other team's scraps. Grade: B+

(I'm going to do each one of Miami's picks individually)
    Last edited by TedSlimmJr; 05-02-2012 at 10:39 PM.
    Quote Quote  

6. -76

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    #42 Overall -- Jonathan Martin / OT / Stanford

why I like this pick: First of all, because it fills a major need. Secondly, because the single most impressive performance I witnessed all season by an offensive tackle was turned in by Jonathan Martin when he pitched a shutout against the #1 defensive end on my board... Nick Perry. Martin dominated Perry in that game and didn't allow Perry to even get started. Third, because Martin still has room to get so much better. He could've stayed for his Senior season, gotten stronger, and been a top 10 pick next year. Lastly, he's insurance for Jake Long, and comes much cheaper. Intelligent Stanford kid, and I want smart players at the line of scrimmage.

why I don't like this pick: Because I didn't think it was necessary to address the right tackle position this early. It makes more sense to address the right tackle position later because quality players of starter quality were going to be available. Miami had to pass up an elite pass rusher to make this pick. It is vital that Martin work hard in the weight room and get his strength up. It usually takes a season or so for most college offensive lineman to get their weight room strength up enough to match the strength and endurance of rugged NFL veterans that have done it for years. The line of scrimmage is where the biggest difference in strength and endurance shows up between college and the NFL.

Overall: Miami got a top 10 player in next year's draft with the 42nd pick in this year's draft. It's up to Jonathan Martin to make sure he fulfills his immense potential. It's there. Grade: A
    Quote Quote  

7. -77

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    #72 Overall -- Olivier Vernon / DE-OLB / Miami

why I like this pick: They didn't reach for him by much and came off the board about where I figured he should. Shows the ability to set the edge in run defense, and has enough bend to get underneath a tackle and run the arc to get pressure when allowed to rush the passer. If he played every game like he did against Georgia Tech as a freshman, he'd be a 1st round pick. Versatile, and his best football should be ahead of him. Has the lower body explosion and athletic ability to be a difference maker.

why I don't like this pick: Not much. I've talked about Vernon's upside going all the way back to my underrated underclassman thread in July.

Overall: Solid player with legitimate upside and got value with it. Has the potential to be a Shaun Phillips type pass rusher in the AFC. Grade: B+
    Quote Quote  

8. -78

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    #78 Overall -- Michael Egnew / TE / Missouri

why I like this pick: He was the #3 tight end in the draft on my board and I figured the 3rd round was where he'd come off. Egnew is precisely the type of flex TE that I've talked about Miami was always missing and typically avoided in the draft. He plays essentially like a WR split out operating in space. He creates a matchup problem with cornerbacks and linebackers in man coverage. Coaches can split him out in the "X" receiver position and run some X-iso where he's isolated on a smaller cornerback along the sidelines, or motion him there and have a linebacker follow him. A player like this makes your personnel packages capable of dictating to the defense. Egnew's height and linear speed is what you must have in a seam threat that forces safeties to play you honest. Athletically he tested at or near the top in virtually every event at the combine for TE's. Production is top notch.

why I don't like this pick: Only plays at one speed and isn't explosive changing directions. A stalk blocker who needs refinement in the aspect of blocking.

Overall: Nice pick and solid value here. Coaches will coach him up in the blocking department. You can't coach a kid to be 6'5", 250 pounds with 4.6 speed and soft hands. Grade: B+
    Quote Quote  

9. -79

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    #97 Overall -- Lamar Miller / RB / Miami

why I like this pick: #5 runningback on my board who I had a 4th round grade on, and Miami trades up to get him at the top of the 4th round. Fastest RB at the combine, and perhaps the fastest RB in this draft. Not a small scatback. Has enough size that he should be a fairly durable back, especially with his running style. Explosive and brings some versatility as a kick returner. Produced some big games against legitimate competition. Accelerates to top speed in about 4 strides. Top end speed makes him a threat to score if he gets a crease. Low mileage and should be able to contribute in a committee approach if being featured is too much of a work load.

why I don't like this pick: He wasn't the top RB on the board in my opinion. The best back on the board at the time was Robert Turbin. Miller has average vision, doesn't always run tough, needs a lot of work in pass protection, has some ball security issues, and has legitimate medical red flags. I never subscribed to the theory that this kid was a 1st round pick, or the #2 RB in the draft. There's a reason why all the backs I had ahead of him on my board went ahead of him (except for Turbin who went 9 picks later) and he fell to the 4th round. Teams weren't going to let a 1st round runningback and the #2 RB in the draft continue falling all the way through the 4th round.

Overall: Miami got Lamar Miller about where they should have to begin with. He could be nice player in a RB by committee approach where he had a defined role and too much isn't asked of him. Legitimate home run threat and should return kicks and contribute on special teams... although some of that will be negated due to the league trying to eliminate kick returns all together. Grade: C+
    Quote Quote  

10. -80

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    #155 Overall -- Josh Kaddu / OLB / Oregon

why I like this pick: I've had my eye on Josh Kaddu all season, and felt like he was one of the more underrated linebackers in the draft. I had a late 4th/early 5th round grade on him in December and it stayed consistent. Rangey, athletic linebacker who has a knack for splash plays and getting into the backfield. I like his effort and closing speed.

why I don't like this pick: Inconsistent. Can disappear and get caught in the wash when things aren't working up front. Doesn't need to be taking on blocks. Not a "Mike" linebacker... which is what I would've been hunting for in this draft. I agree with those that didn't like passing up Tank Carder.

Overall: Miami didn't reach for him, although an argument could be made that a true middle linebacker should've been on the docket in this draft if it came to pursuing a linebacker. A little bit better player than people think. Grade: C+
    Last edited by TedSlimmJr; 05-02-2012 at 11:51 PM.
    Quote Quote