Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mando: Tannehill had a good first day of practice

1. -1
    Diehard Phinatic!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks

Mando: Tannehill had a good first day of practice

Ryan Tannehill had a good first day of rookie minicamp. That should not be surprising to anyone. He's the first-round pick. He said he knows approximately "80 to 85 percent" of the offense because it's similar to the one he ran at Texas A&M although "some of the concepts have changed."
    So the rook is off to a good start.
    Tannehill throws a very impressive ball on out patterns and comebacks. He also connected on a couple of deep passes that caught the coaching staff's collective eye. He threw what looked like a nine route to Rishard Matthews that was perhaps the play of the practice. He had another connection with UDFA A.J. Guyton that also went deep.
    "He threw a couple of double-moves and deep routes well," coach Joe Philbin said.
    Tannehill did throw an interception but it happened on his first pass in team drills when he hit B.J. Cunningham in the hands and the receiver couldn't come up with the football. The loose ball popped in the air and was intercepted by Vincent Agnew. Agnew had a nice practice today as he also had another notable PD later in the practice.
    There were more than a couple of drops today. Free agent Derek Moye dropped one, prompting a coach to yell, "Catch the ball!"
    Third-round pick Michael Egnew also suffered a drop although he was able to catch a couple also. Egnew, by the way, is Tannehill's roommate at the team hotel where players are staying.
    Tannehill is obviously more familiar than any of these rookies with the offense, save receiver Jeff Fuller, because both have been in the Aggies offense. He can press his advantage here, but Philbin said he wouldn't say he'll be ahead of veterans Matt Moore and David Garrard in knowing the system.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Great news!
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    NFL32 is reviewing the AFC East and Merrill Hoge says, "No way Tannehill is ready to start next year, he is too inexperienced and panics under pressure." I am sure he said the same thing about Andy Dalton last year. Hoge is a turd.....he seems to be a Mr. Know-It-All, like earlier today when he criticized Kurt Warner for saying he wouldn't want his own kids to play football, and called Warner, "uneducated."
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    B.J. Cunningham also noted on the Finsiders he had trouble understanding a play and Tannehill took charge and sorted him out. Leader.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    P-cola FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The kid needs time...
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Diehard Phinatic!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    NFL32 is reviewing the AFC East and Merrill Hoge says, "No way Tannehill is ready to start next year, he is too inexperienced and panics under pressure."
    Not a big fan of Hodge but I think Tannehill does need to sit for at least a whole year, the worst thing we could do is throw him to the wolves right away and destroy is confidence. Dalton had more experience than Tannehill especially big game experience playing in a rose bowl and trying to protect an undefeated season. People might call me crazy but I see a lot of Aaron Rodgers in Tannehill and Rodgers sat for 4 years and now he is the best QB in football. Not saying tanny needs for years but let him sit and learn then plug him in next year.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    old pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    windermere
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roman529 View Post
    NFL32 is reviewing the AFC East and Merrill Hoge says, "No way Tannehill is ready to start next year, he is too inexperienced and panics under pressure." I am sure he said the same thing about Andy Dalton last year. Hoge is a turd.....he seems to be a Mr. Know-It-All, like earlier today when he criticized Kurt Warner for saying he wouldn't want his own kids to play football, and called Warner, "uneducated."
    Hoge is uptight because he puts too much starch in his collar.
    “If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Missouri
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thesparanos13 View Post
    Not a big fan of Hodge but I think Tannehill does need to sit for at least a whole year, the worst thing we could do is throw him to the wolves right away and destroy is confidence. Dalton had more experience than Tannehill especially big game experience playing in a rose bowl and trying to protect an undefeated season. People might call me crazy but I see a lot of Aaron Rodgers in Tannehill and Rodgers sat for 4 years and now he is the best QB in football. Not saying tanny needs for years but let him sit and learn then plug him in next year.
    1. Merrill didn't like Rodgers at all in 2005, liked Brohm a lot better. He was wrong on Aaron and he'll probably be wrong on Tannehill.
    2. Rodgers sat 3 years, not 4... and he wouldn't have been sitting for 3 years if he weren't behind a first ballot HOF. I don't buy into the BS assumption that he was only transformed into the Rodgers he's been his entire career simply because he sat for 3 years.
    3. I don't see much of Rodgers in Tannehill. Ryan T is a better athlete, has better size and arm strength. Aaron is more accurate and from what I've seen has more of that "my **** don't stink" swagger you tend to see in elite QBs. One thing that they do have in common is being overlooked early in their college careers and having good soph/junior seasons in spite of poor WR corps, unlike a Weeden or Griffin.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Touchdown

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    DeFuniak Springs Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Not bad for the first day and settling in.

Just win Phin baby!
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think its premature to say he should or shouldnt sit. If he comes to camp and shows hes better than Moore and Garrard..and shows in preseason he can handle the game speed..as well as against our D in training camp..i dont see how you dont start him. Could he benefit from sitting?..maybe..but the same could be said that playing him and getting him reps is best. You arent throwing him to the wolves if he is shows in TC that he is ready. Rodgers sat because GB had the luxury of a HOF QB. Everyone is different and learns at a different rate. People thought Newton should sit too..but he proved that he could play at that game speed. I say we hold judgement until we get to TC and trust Philibin to make that call
    Quote Quote