Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Slimm's 2013 Prospects (Seniors)

Hybrid View

1. -1
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Slimm's 2013 Prospects (Seniors)

I've already started a thread on a few of the underclassman I like for the 2013 class should they declare eligible, this thread is for some of the more underrated Senior prospects as I run across 'em.

First up is a 6'3", 205 pound receiver from Marshall with 4.4 speed by the name of Aaron Dobson. He was only a 2-star recruit coming out of high school and thus been able to glide under the radar for the most part during his first 3 seasons in C-USA.

As a freshman, Dobson averaged 24.1 yards/catch, which was 4th best in the country among receivers with at least 15 receptions.

He just finished up his Junior season with 49 receptions, 668 yards, and 12 TD's. His 12 TD receptions were tied for 7th in the country, and accomplished it with the fewest catches among all those in the top 7 for touchdown receptions in the country.

In his first 3 seasons, he's totaled 108 catches, for 1,719 yards, and 21 TD's. Dobson has done all this without a legitimate quarterback to throw him the football.

His vertical speed and explosion off the LOS is evident on the field, along with outstanding body control and ability to use his frame in order to go up and get the football against DB's. He still needs some refinement on technique and field awareness isn't yet where it needs to be. Shows the ability to use a foot-fire release and defeat press coverage and avoid the jam. Dobson isn't a finished product, but should have a big Senior season ahead of him if he stays healthy.

Vs. FIU in 2011 Beef O' Brady's Bowl:

It don't get any better than this right here:

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Probably not going to be a need but I've obviously already done a lot of work on TE Joseph Fauria of UCLA. Though Levine Toilolo or Tyler Eifert could come out and ruin Fauria's party.

Kenny Vaccaro interests me but the son of a bitch just got himself arrested a few days ago. Note to self. If you're at a bar and some police officers ask you to leave, leave.

I think Shayne Skov if healthy is actually a better ILB than Manti Te'o. Alex Okafor would be a nice prospect but he got pinched by the police right alongside Vaccaro.

Not sure I see why people like Johnny Adams so much.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    Probably not going to be a need but I've obviously already done a lot of work on TE Joseph Fauria of UCLA. Though Levine Toilolo or Tyler Eifert could come out and ruin Fauria's party.

Kenny Vaccaro interests me but the son of a bitch just got himself arrested a few days ago. Note to self. If you're at a bar and some police officers ask you to leave, leave.

I think Shayne Skov if healthy is actually a better ILB than Manti Te'o. Alex Okafor would be a nice prospect but he got pinched by the police right alongside Vaccaro.

Not sure I see why people like Johnny Adams so much.

If this is the only poor conduct on Vaccaro or Okafor's resume I doubt it'll affect 'em much. Skov's DUI he got himself back in February will probably have more of an affect on his status. A lot of these kids have been getting arrested.... including Montee Ball and Sammy Watkins.

Terry Hawthorne is the best Senior cornerback prospect in the Big-Ten in my opinion...followed by Micah Hyde. I don't know who prefers Johnny Adams but it ain't me.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post

I think Shayne Skov if healthy is actually a better ILB than Manti Te'o.

100% agree.... I'm an ND Fan but think Te'o is overrated. Love the way Skov plays... reckless but controlled abandon
    Pat
    Offensive Coordinator
    www.londonblitz.com
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Superman logo2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat-London View Post
    100% agree.... I'm an ND Fan but think Te'o is overrated. Love the way Skov plays... reckless but controlled abandon
    i agree, i cant believe he got a dui. i dont get why so many talented players put themselves in bad situations
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Love your scouting reports, Slimm. I know it's early, but what direction do you think Miami will look in 2013 (say 1st and 2nd round)? I know to answer that you need to project how young players will do etc.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dont you think its a bit early
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Are you gonna drink that?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimento13 View Post
    Dont you think its a bit early
    Well, it is the draft forum ... nobody forced you to enter it during May.
    2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1

"The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

DOUBLE your vCash on Christmas Day: http://www.finheaven.com/showthread....tmas-DOUBLE-UP
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Elon WR Aaron Mellette is another guy to watch out for in 2012. He was a basketball player until halfway through High School, which contributed to him being very under the radar in the recruiting process. He grew up in Sanford, North Carolina. He got some interest from some Conference USA and other FBS teams, but nothing from the major programs, and so he decided to go to school at Elon, which is right up the road from where he grew up.

He broke out in 2010 with 86 catches for 1,100 yards and 12 TDs. But then he turned it up a few notches in 2011 with 113 catches for 1,639 yards and 12 TDs. He averaged 10.27 catches and 149.0 yards per game. The games from 2011 that you will probably want to watch are his Appalachian State and Vanderbilt games.

One NFL scout spoke very highly of Mellette and said that if you watch that Appalachian State game, Brian Quick and Aaron Mellette were both on the field that day, and even though Brian Quick went #33 overall to the Rams, Mellette was the better football player that day. He had 14 catches for 236 yards and 1 TD.

As for the Vanderbilt game, it was the first game of the season for Elon and Mellette went off for 11 catches and 180 yards, with 1 TD. The Commodores boasted some secondary talent, too. Sean Richardson is an athletic strong safety that is now in camp with the Packers as a UDFA. Casey Hayward is Vanderbilt's co-record holder for career interceptions with 15, two-time All-SEC selection, All America as a senior, intercepted 7 passes as a senior, was drafted #62 overall in the 2nd round by the Green Bay Packers. Trey Wilson is another corner in that secondary to keep your eye on, as he won SEC Defensive PLayer of the Week after a 2 interception, 2 touchdown performance against Ole Miss. Javon Marshall isn't a bad safety, either. Yet, Aaron Mellette made them all look silly at times.

Here's a record of how leading receivers did against Vanderbilt in 2011:

Team - Season's Top WR, Game's Top WR
    Elon - Aaron Mellette 11-180-1, Aaron Mellette 11-180-1
    UConn - Kashif Moore 1-14-0, Ryan Griffin 4-47-0
    Ole Miss - Donte Moncrief 1-47-1, Ja-Mes Logan 3-48-0
    South Carolina - Alshon Jeffery 2-34-0, Ace Sanders 4-75-0
    Alabama - Marquis Maze 9-93-0, DeAndrew White 3-58-2
    Georgia - Tavarres King 5-57-1, Marlon Brown 4-121-2
    Army - Davyd Brooks 0-0-0, Jared Hassin 1-18-0
    Arkansas - Jarius Wright 10-135-1, Jarius Wright 10-135-1
    Florida - Andre Debose 2-25-0, Omarius Hines 1-40-0
    Kentucky - La'Rod King 5-82-0, La'Rod King 5-82-0
    Tennessee - Da'Rick Rogers 10-116-2, Da'Rick Rogers 10-116-2
    Wake Forest - Chris Givens 4-69-0, Chris Givens 4-69-0
    Cincinnati - Anthony McClung 1-8-0, Alex Chisum 1-12-0

What is notable here is not necessarily that the Vandy secondary did not allow receivers to have good days against them, but rather that they did not allow teams' TOP receivers to have great days against them, generally. Guys like Chris Givens, Kashif Moore, Andre Debose, Tavarres King and Alshon Jeffery did not have good days against that Vandy secondary. Da'Rick Rogers did, but then I think Rogers is another terrific receiver talent (unfortunately I hear he's a headcase). Jarius Wright had a great day against Vandy's secondary.

But arguably, Mellette had the best game of any receiver against Vandy this year, and arguably had the biggest bull's eye on his back for the Vandy secondary to game plan against because he was highly productive in 2010, the team's leading receiver, and the guy who caught a lot of balls next to him wasn't there anymore...so you knew Mellette was going to be by far the biggest part of the passing game plan.

The reason you'd want to pay attention to Mellette if you're a Miami fan is just because he really fits what Joe Philbin likes in a receiver, or at least what I perceive to be what he likes in a receiver. Mellette is thought to be a little over 6í3Ē tall which is actually a little atypical for Joe Philbin from a size standard, but I donít find that he moves like a tall player, which is why the height will not be considered a detriment to his draft grade. Mellette has solid mass on that frame at about 215 lbs. His movement is very quick, but most importantly it is very balanced. I rarely see him running, cutting or making adjustments without his weight square and balanced, which gives him added quickness and the ability to break through contact after the catch. He gets his feet under himself very quickly and can stop and start very quickly. He tracks the ball in the air as well as you could want, and makes over the shoulder catches look routine. He snatches the ball with his hands when he can and uses his body to shield it when in traffic. He adjusts on the ball with urgency and quickness. The real question with Mellette is just long speed. Going against the level of competition he went against, it is not always easy to see how fast he truly is. I hate to keep bringing up Jordy Nelson but thatís kind of the player I see. Same dimensions, same kind of balance and quickness. The balance creates tackle breaking potential for Mellette just as it does Nelson. And when you get Mellette at the Combine, I could see him running the same 4.51 that Jordy Nelson did.

Josh Buchanon, who does work on small school players for NFL teams and also sells his work publicly, speaks extremely high on Mellette. He's higher on him than he was Brian Quick, who went #33 overall to the Rams. He's alluded to at least one team with multiple championships agreeing with him on Mellette and rating him a 1st rounder so far.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Superman logo2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    I've already started a thread on a few of the underclassman I like for the 2013 class should they declare eligible, this thread is for some of the more underrated Senior prospects as I run across 'em.

First up is a 6'3", 205 pound receiver from Marshall with 4.4 speed by the name of Aaron Dobson. He was only a 2-star recruit coming out of high school and thus been able to glide under the radar for the most part during his first 3 seasons in C-USA.

As a freshman, Dobson averaged 24.1 yards/catch, which was 4th best in the country among receivers with at least 15 receptions.

He just finished up his Junior season with 49 receptions, 668 yards, and 12 TD's. His 12 TD receptions were tied for 7th in the country, and accomplished it with the fewest catches among all those in the top 7 for touchdown receptions in the country.

In his first 3 seasons, he's totaled 108 catches, for 1,719 yards, and 21 TD's. Dobson has done all this without a legitimate quarterback to throw him the football.

His vertical speed and explosion off the LOS is evident on the field, along with outstanding body control and ability to use his frame in order to go up and get the football against DB's. He still needs some refinement on technique and field awareness isn't yet where it needs to be. Shows the ability to use a foot-fire release and defeat press coverage and avoid the jam. Dobson isn't a finished product, but should have a big Senior season ahead of him if he stays healthy.

Vs. FIU in 2011 Beef O' Brady's Bowl:

It don't get any better than this right here:

guy reminds me of a faster gadsen. where is he projected? def going to keep an eye on him this next year
    Quote Quote