Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Preseason 2013 Pass Rusher Watch List

1. -21
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Also there's a kid at cincy u I think would be a great pick up in the mid rds
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Ok CK...Ive looked at a few clips of what I could find...and I have to agree with you on Werner...he is a monster. Physical..violent..explosive is how I would describe him. Im still high on Mingo...he is more explosive but doesn't have the violent hands Werner has off what Ive seen. I think Mingo has a higher ceiling because if he fills out that frame he is going to be special..he already is a specimen as a pass rusher. Also saw some things on Gayle..again limited..but I didn't think he was in the same league as the other two off what I saw
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's threads like this that made me a Finheaven poster. I love all the work the draft guru's put into finding and posting opinions, info and stats about college football and potential draft eligible athletes. Thanks Guys!!!
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    Finding out some more about Bjoern Werner's background. Some of this is pretty crazy.

He fell in love with the sport when he was playing flag football and then tackle football at the Club Sports level in Germany (Berlin Adler, German word for Eagles). At flag football, he played wide receiver and safety. In the club sports he played a little linebacker until his coach decided he needed to move to defensive end because that's where he had the most potential to wreck the offense. At about 15 years old, Bjoern was wrecking 18+ year old guys, and his coach recognized that he had uncommon ability. The coach (German) had never done this before, but he recommended to Bjoern that he go to America immediately and try and go through a prep school and into the college ranks. Bjoern thinks very fondly of that coach and thinks of him as much a friend as a coach, credits him for the wisdom of moving him to defensive end but also for thinking more for Bjoern's sake than his own as Werner naturally would think that a coach in that position would want to keep hold of a guy that talented rather than send him off.

This is where it gets interesting. His coach may have planted the idea in Bjoern's head, for which he's grateful, but he didn't really do much aside from that. Bjoern sees an advertisement on the Berlin Thunder NFL Europe's website for the USA Football International Student program. The program takes kids from all over the world and places them in various prep schools in the New England area, pays a little portion of the tuition and then it's up to the school to figure out how to collect the rest of the tuition. Bjoern applied to the program and was accepted.

This is a 16 year old kid and he's doing all this pretty much on his own. He approached his family about it after he'd taken care of most of it and they were only worried about the money angle, because they didn't have the money to pay for any of this. Normally an exchange student program costs you thousand and thousands of dollars, but he explained it's not like that...he wants to come over and stay permanently and play football. He told them not to worry about the money, he's 16 years old and he's old enough to take care of all of this, and his mom said OK but we really can't pay.

He began emailing Coach Chris Adams at the Connecticut prep school where he would eventually end up, expressed his desire to play there. He sent over a highlight tape of himself playing at the Club Sports level. The coach got the school to offer him sports financial aid, and the only thing Bjoern and his family had to pay for were the flights over from Germany.

He went back and forth from Connecticut to Germany during the long breaks they had at his prep school, as he had a girlfriend back in Germany that he met when he was 16 years old about 6 months before he left for Connecticut. Eventually, his senior year of High School when he was about 19 years old, they decided to get married. He said teammates don't tease him about being married but they do ask a lot of questions about it, why he got married so young, etc. His wife thinks he's a super star because of the attention college football players get by the media. As of an interview just prior to the 2011 season, he had not been back to Germany since he came to FSU. He hears that his little brother has sprouted up to 6'6" now (soccer player), but he can't even picture his own family, he only hears them over the phone.

German stereotypes that annoy him? No, he does not love David Hasselhoff. He doesn't eat sausages, he's from Berlin and that's all in the South, he says. His friends tell him, oh man you probably drink a lot (drinking age lower in Germany). He says no, I don't drink at all.

Unusually mature at an early age, married, doesn't drink, physical phenom, no sense of entitlement. Gonna make a hell of an NFL player one day.
    That's a great story and certainly makes you love the kid's iniative (sp) at such a young age. He basically made it happen on his own. On tape you can see his explosiveness. Definitely someone I'm looking forward to seeing in live action.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Giving a bump to the FSU DE that TedSlimmJr brought up, Cornelius Carradine. I still don't agree with Slimm that he will end up better than Bjoern Werner but I may move him ahead of Brandon Jenkins in my rankings. Carradine had a strong spring, was pretty dominant in the spring game (Werner and Jenkins did not participate) and he looks cut from marble as far as what you look for in an NFL defensive end.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If Miami keeps the 4-3 front look going into the future... James Gayle from Virginia Tech would be a great addition to this defense. I am worried that he will continue to climb the rankings and we end up missing on him. The man can play at a high level and Bud Foster just loves this guy! High motor and gets a lot of pressure on QB's!

Here is some more info on him...

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2014&genpos=DE
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FINMAN13 View Post
    If Miami keeps the 4-3 front look going into the future... James Gayle from Virginia Tech would be a great addition to this defense. I am worried that he will continue to climb the rankings and we end up missing on him. The man can play at a high level and Bud Foster just loves this guy! High motor and gets a lot of pressure on QB's!

Here is some more info on him...

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2014&genpos=DE
    Everyone already knew about Barkevious Mingo, but when I dug hard into the 2011 tape for guys that would come out on top during the 2012 season, Bjoern Werner and James Gayle were the two that stood out like sore thumbs.

Dion Jordan is not getting enough air time, either. And with Brandon Jenkins gone for the year, Cornellius Carridine is having his day in the sun. Cory Lemonier is worthy of praise.
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    Everyone already knew about Barkevious Mingo, but when I dug hard into the 2011 tape for guys that would come out on top during the 2012 season, Bjoern Werner and James Gayle were the two that stood out like sore thumbs.

Dion Jordan is not getting enough air time, either. And with Brandon Jenkins gone for the year, Cornellius Carridine is having his day in the sun. Cory Lemonier is worthy of praise.
    Interested to hear your take on Jarvis Jones. Is he in the same class, or close to Barkevious Mingo, as a pass rusher? Keep hearing that he is a complete player, but I wonder how he might fit in Miami's offense. I still feel that we need a pass rusher first and then concentrate on wide receiver, but will see what the rest of the season brings.
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jarvis Jones is the best defensive player in the country.

Although he's not a defensive end and won't be a defensive end. He's a 3-4 rush linebacker and he'll be one in the NFL. You don't see many athletes of this caliber rushing the passer who can destroy an offensive tackle with speed and then play with their shoulders perpendicular to the LOS the way he can. His hand use is so good that offensive lineman can't even sustain a base block on him in the run game. A top 5 pick similar to Von Miller.
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    mingo will go ahead of jones...
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote