Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Congrads to coach Jimmy Johnson

1. -21
    grip it and rip it

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    DolphinDolphinDolphin
    maybe not me
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Daphne, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    Jimmy's accomplishments elsewhere other than Miami is what barely gets him into the college Hall of Fame. His experience as a head coach in college doesn't even meet the minimum requirement of 10 years.

He was 1-1 in national championship games as a coach and has a losing record in bowl games (2-3).

Dennis Erickson has a higher winning percentage at Miami, and won twice as many national titles as Jimmy. Erickson is also an innovator of the one-back offense going back to his days at Idaho where Scott Linehan played quarterback for him. He'll be there soon.

Out of Jimmy, Dennis Erickson, and Howard Schnellenberger.... Jimmy is the least deserving to be in the college football Hall of Fame. The fact that Howard Schnellenberger is ineligible based on winning percentage is the biggest travesty in the sport. He resurrected dead programs, and started brand new one's. One of the best program builders of his era.

He took what he learned from Bear Bryant at Alabama and is the reason the University of Miami even has a football program. Howard Schnellenberger is why Jimmy Johnson is now in the college football Hall of Fame.

This man belongs in the Hall of Fame.
    Great post. Facts to back up your obvious emotion.

Looking back on it I see Jimmy Johnson as the beginning of the dread "Dallas Retread" disease that has been a scourge to Miami's growth since the end of the Shula era. It seems that our owners have admired the success of the Cowboys. When their experiments with Saban and Cam didn't work they adopted a go after "proven" success with Jimmy Johnson, then his sidekick Wanny, then Parcells which brought us Sparano. In turn the coaching/management seemed to spend a lot of time trying to plug gaps with Dallas retreads.

I'm so glad that Philbin and company are not part of that Dallas culture/philosophy.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    SC.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    JJ is a piece of ****.
    Last edited by rob19; 05-19-2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: ctpf
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy82nd View Post
    Are you FU#@*$& stoned??? Erickson, who won two National Championships with Jimmy Johnsons' players. He was handed two titles. How many losses did Dennis Erickson have when all of the players on the team were his recruits? What was it, four or five? Erickson didn't have enough sense to scrape the one back offense, when he didn't recruit players that fit that scheme.

Erickson won more national titles and had a higher winning percentage with Jimmy's players than Jimmy did with Jimmy's players. He won 2 titles and played for another. Dennis Erickson won 29 straight games with that group of kids until he lost to Gene Stallings and Alabama in the '93 Sugar Bowl. They hadn't lost a game since Notre Dame in 1990. Coaches aren't "handed" that. Erickson had a resume rebuilding programs long before he went to Miami.

Jimmy inherited a national championship team and won with Schnellenberger's players the same way. Gene Stallings won a title with Bill Curry's players. Bob Stoops won a title with John Blake's players. Les Miles won a title with Nick Saban's players. Nick Saban won a title with Mike Shula's players. Gene Chizik won a title with Tommy Tuberville's players. Tuberville replaced Sonny Lubick as defensive coordinator for Miami under Erickson after Lubick left for Colorado St. We can do this nonsense all day.

Barry Switzer won a superbowl with Jimmy's players in Dallas. The significance of both was that it didn't require Jimmy for those players to win.

Jimmy was a decent coach who's brilliance was in his eye for talent.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    grip it and rip it

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    DolphinDolphinDolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by tazthenomad View Post
    Great post. Facts to back up your obvious emotion.

Looking back on it I see Jimmy Johnson as the beginning of the dread "Dallas Retread" disease that has been a scourge to Miami's growth since the end of the Shula era. It seems that our owners have admired the success of the Cowboys. When their experiments with Saban and Cam didn't work they adopted a go after "proven" success with Jimmy Johnson, then his sidekick Wanny, then Parcells which brought us Sparano. In turn the coaching/management seemed to spend a lot of time trying to plug gaps with Dallas retreads.

I'm so glad that Philbin and company are not part of that Dallas culture/philosophy.
    You got your history a little mixed up my friend. Jimmy was hired to follow Shula LONG before the Dallas connection that started with Parcells. Jimmy brought no dallas players here but maybe he should have.
    Back then Dallas was winning superbowls. Parcells brought the scrubs he had drafted in Dallas and Ireland continued the process with Matt Moore.
    This is a fun debate but please get your facts straight.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    grip it and rip it

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    DolphinDolphinDolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    Erickson won more national titles and had a higher winning percentage with Jimmy's players than Jimmy did with Jimmy's players. He won 2 titles and played for another. Dennis Erickson won 29 straight games with that group of kids until he lost to Gene Stallings and Alabama in the '93 Sugar Bowl. They hadn't lost a game since Notre Dame in 1990. Coaches aren't "handed" that. Erickson had a resume rebuilding programs long before he went to Miami.

Jimmy inherited a national championship team and won with Schnellenberger's players the same way. Gene Stallings won a title with Bill Curry's players. Bob Stoops won a title with John Blake's players. Les Miles won a title with Nick Saban's players. Nick Saban won a title with Mike Shula's players. Gene Chizik won a title with Tommy Tuberville's players. Tuberville replaced Sonny Lubick as defensive coordinator for Miami under Erickson after Lubick left for Colorado St. We can do this nonsense all day.

Barry Switzer won a superbowl with Jimmy's players in Dallas. The significance of both was that it didn't require Jimmy for those players to win.

Jimmy was a decent coach who's brilliance was in his eye for talent.
    Your knowledge of college football far exceeds mine so I'll leave it at this.
    The guy played on a nat champ team. The guy coach two nat camp games winning one of them and the team he left won two more.. The guy went on to win two superbowl in the pro's and the team he left won another under Switzer.
    i will match that resume with ANYONE in football today.

Like Jimmy or not he is an interesting guy who did things his way and got the ultimate reasons.
    The debocal against Jax tarnish a fine coaching career and today the man lives in the keys and fishing is his love.
    Maybe that's why i like him and believe the award is justifed.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Daphne, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fishfanmiami View Post
    You got your history a little mixed up my friend. Jimmy was hired to follow Shula LONG before the Dallas connection that started with Parcells. Jimmy brought no dallas players here but maybe he should have.
    Back then Dallas was winning superbowls. Parcells brought the scrubs he had drafted in Dallas and Ireland continued the process with Matt Moore.
    This is a fun debate but please get your facts straight.
    Jimmy Johnson got the job because of his success with Dallas.... not because of his TV gig. I don't think I got that wrong.
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrose70 View Post
    #$%# that useless $#@%er. He may have drafted some good players. BUt he treated Marino like garbage, I will never let that grudge go.
    The Marino stuff was bad, but nowhere near as bad as leaving us with Wanny, which is the biggest reason we are where we are today.

Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Congrads > Congrats
    Quote Quote