Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Dolphins' Stephen Ross plays down Ryan Tannehill expectations

1. -1
    The Oracle

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks

Dolphins' Stephen Ross plays down Ryan Tannehill expectations

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...headline_stack

Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross played down expectations for instant results from rookie quarterback Ryan Tannehill, saying the team won't rush the eighth-overall pick in April's draft, according to The Palm Beach Post.

Tannehill is seen as a boom-or-bust type of prospect with outstanding athleticism but has limited game experience at quarterback, playing the position for less than two seasons at Texas A&M.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    Ross did the right thing. The worst thing he could say is that they expect big things out of the gate. Ross understands that rookie quarterbacks have struggles and that it is best to take things slow. No reason to push things for the sake of just getting him on the field. When Tannehill is ready then you put him in, don't just throw him into the fire.

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Danger lurks below the surface!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    Ross did the right thing. The worst thing he could say is that they expect big things out of the gate. Ross understands that rookie quarterbacks have struggles and that it is best to take things slow. No reason to push things for the sake of just getting him on the field. When Tannehill is ready then you put him in, don't just throw him into the fire.
    While I agree with your post, Ross already made a mistake regarding Tennehill. The whole "we wanna retire #17's jersey someday" comment is counterintuitive to trying to temper expectations for the young QB. Granted, Ross was just saying what I'm sure every Dolfan was thinking/hoping.

Tannehill is a bright kid. I'm sure he knows, even if unsaid, there will be huge expectations for him. Lucky for us, he also seems like a born leader and appears to possess the competitive fire to potentially meet those lofty expectations.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MurkyWaters View Post

While I agree with your post, Ross already made a mistake regarding Tennehill. The whole "we wanna retire #17's jersey someday" comment is counterintuitive to trying to temper expectations for the young QB. Granted, Ross was just saying what I'm sure every Dolfan was thinking/hoping.

Tannehill is a bright kid. I'm sure he knows, even if unsaid, there will be huge expectations for him. Lucky for us, he also seems like a born leader and appears to possess the competitive fire to potentially meet those lofty expectations.
    Yes , that was a pretty stupid comment from Ross
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    The Oracle

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyboy View Post
    Yes , that was a pretty stupid comment from Ross
    It was but I'm trying to see this in the best way so I'm hoping/thinking that Ross is learning to become a better and smarter owner. He made a mistake getting too excited and putting too much pressure on Tannehill. Now he is saying the right things.

There is no manual for being a owner of a major sports team.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm not sure if Ross should be saying anything at all considering his team has been below average since he became the owner. Furthermore great expectations were set when we drafted RT at 8.
    Quote Quote