Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Former Hurricanes Lamar Miller and Olivier Vernon turning heads in OTA's

Hybrid View

1. -1
    grip it and rip it

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    DolphinDolphinDolphin

Former Hurricanes Lamar Miller and Olivier Vernon turning heads in OTA's

BY DAVID J. NEAL

DNEAL@MIAMIHERALD.COM

There’s an appropriate quality to the jersey numbers selected for rookie camp by the Dolphins’ 2012 draft picks from the University of Miami.
    Running back Lamar Miller wears No. 44 on his jersey, double the No. 22 worn by Reggie Bush.
    Defensive end Olivier Vernon wears jersey No. 50, 0.5 off of half of No. 99, retired Dolphin Jason Taylor’s number.
    What Bush and Taylor share is what the Dolphins want from Miller and Vernon: a propensity for obvious, pivotal, huge plays.
    “They have some natural snaps and some natural pop in their bodies, some natural quickness or twitch, whatever word you want to use to describe their movement,” Dolphins coach Joe Philbin said. “I think they have that acceleration, that quickness off the football.”
    When coaches talk about “fast-twitch” players, they’re not talking about guys who move the chains. They’re talking about guys who move the scoreboard.
    Miller certainly looks like that when he is hitting the edge or sprinting downfield in practice. Of course, there’s the caveat: it’s shorts in spring. Nobody has run a play at NFL speed or taken an NFL hit. Remember Lorenzo Booker, 2007 third-round pick out of Florida State? He looked like Reggie Bush in the spring, yet might as well have been a rose bush come the autumn.
    Expect Miller to be used everywhere the Dolphins can find a place to get him the ball in space, including punt returns.
    “Lamar is a very fluid player,” Philbin said. “I think he has multiple skills, I don’t think that he is just a runner, I think he is a guy that can catch the football, and [we will] move him around.”
    Said Bush of Miller: “He seems like he’s eager to get out there and learn. He’s listened to some of the guys, he’s getting the plays down pretty well at a fast rate. He’s obviously a smart kid.”
    Smart enough to know the first improvement he needed to make in his game was to be “more physical in my pass protection, just knowing where I’m supposed to be at all times. Not making little mistakes, holding onto the ball, catching the ball.”
    With a new offense that takes small, quick bites at the pace of John Coltrane’s Giant Steps, two full tiers of skill position players easily could see significant playing time.
    “No huddle. Up-tempo, fast-paced offense,” Bush said. “That means our conditioning will have to be high. We’ll run a lot of plays in real games. That’s something we’ve got to prepare for.”
    As for Vernon, “[Olivier], we liked his physical toughness coming out, we liked his energy, we liked his motor that he played with, and he is a young guy that we think is going to get better,” Philbin said.
    Vernon’s rawness isn’t as much physical as mental.
    “I’ve got to learn football,” Vernon said. “I’m still in the learning process. I don’t know that much about football. I’m still fresh and new at it.
    “I started playing football when I got to high school,” he explained. “And all I was playing was defensive end. So when I got over here, learning formations and personnel [groupings] like that, I never had to learn that before. Now, it’s getting a little easier.”

Make us Canes fans proud guys.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/05/2...#storylink=cpy

Last edited by fishfanmiami; 05-23-2012 at 11:36 AM.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Good article...
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i think they will both be very good
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    grip it and rip it

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    DolphinDolphinDolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by pafins13 View Post
    i think they will both be very good
    They both have a lots to prove. Miller is coming off an injury and Vernon missed most of his senior year on suspension.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    I have no idea where David Neal is going with the jersey number reference, that made no sense.

Anyway, we'll see where these guys are when the pads come on. Speed shows up when there's no hitting and a lot of people look good in shorts.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Predator in the Water

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    In the water
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by datruth55 View Post
    I have no idea where David Neal is going with the jersey number reference, that made no sense.

Anyway, we'll see where these guys are when the pads come on. Speed shows up when there's no hitting and a lot of people look good in shorts.
    I thought the same thing lol

Anyway, I hope miller changes numbers. I dont like the way #44 looks on him...I feel like anything in the 40's is more for a fullback
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Califa
    Thanks / No Thanks
    "Remember Lorenzo Booker, 2007 third-round pick out of Florida State? He looked like Reggie Bush in the spring, yet might as well have been a rose bush come the autumn."
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Been one of my biggest issues with him. Every single year, EVERY YEAR, he makes one completely boneheaded signing that makes you think he went on a massive coke bender the night before, slept in the office, woke up still high as **** and started making calls to anybody that would answer at 4 AM on a weekday; which is apparently **** players like Naanee, Colombo, Barbie Carpenter, etc.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by datruth55 View Post

Seriosuly, what a pointless thing to point out. And 50 is not half of 99.......
    Quote Quote