Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: A T-Hill Prophecy? Our Most Successful Drafted and FA QBs All Wore Double Digits!

  1. -1
    Vaark's Avatar
    Nihil taurus crappus
    Status:
    Offline
    QBWinz:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    23,167
    vCash:
    58315
    Loc:
    Monaco &pop's SFL house

    A T-Hill Prophecy? Our Most Successful Drafted and FA QBs All Wore Double Digits!

    If you believe in omens, Tannehill's #17 portends well for his career success.

    First consider our drafted QBs: the two best ever: Marino and Griese respectively wore #13 and #12. Then there was the late David Woodley who went 27-12 while wearing #16. Don't forget our backup extraordinaire, Don Strock, #10, who went 14-6 over his long career with us. Even backup Damon Huard, #11, drafted in '98, started 6 games and went 5-1. Scott Mitchell, #19, didn't set the world on fire here before he snookered Detroit into that FA contract, but still he threw 12 TDs to 8Ints.

    On the other, darker side of that draft road we have: John Beck #9, wee Patty White #6 and Henne#8. I've likely missed a few others unlike Josh Heupels who never saw the field so chime in.

    For those who were initially drafted or signed elsewhere before reaching Davie, it's a bit murkier:

    On the very bright side there's Earl Morrall #15 and Chad Pennington #10, arguably 2 of our 5 or 6 best QBs in franchise history. To a lesser extent although he won 9 games for us in his short pit stop is Gus Frerotte #11. Conversely, moderate positive exceptions to this Double Digit Hypothesis would include Jay Fieldler #9 and Matt Moore #8

    Free Agents who negatively lived up to their assigned numbers include Culpepper #8, Lucas #6, Harrington #3
    ... and the outright awful or circumstantially underwhelming double digit jersey exceptions coming from elsewhere include Cleo Lemon #17 (hopefully not an omen), Thigpen #16, Trent Green #10, Brian Griese #14, Sage Rosenfels #18, and AJ Feely #13

    So obviously 2 of our best ever QBs, FAs Morrall and Pennington experienced their success for us while wearing double digits on their backs, so that's relevant despite the many FA exceptions, but largely it's the homegrown under center hypothesis that has held up pretty firmly for those drafted QBs who precede T-Hill.

    I understand that the assignment of numbers is somewhat either arbitrary or a carry-over from college and an argument can be made that the foregoing is hogwash. However, there's no denying that our greatest QBs whether drafted by us or not, all sported double digit numbers on their backs. It just is what it is. Although he's got some big shoes to fill, hopefully Ryan will carry on in that grand tradition.





    Attached Images
    Quote Quote  

  2. -2
    NY8123's Avatar
    Sophisticated Redneck
    Status:
    Online
    QBWinz:
    Join date:
    Jan 2008
    Posts:
    17,993
    vCash:
    30145
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Golf Enthusiasts
Gift received at 04-14-2016, 12:08 PM from fishfanmiami
Message: Hit um straight wildman.
    If he throws 17 td's in the first 8 games that'd be a good omen too!
    "There's a man goin' 'round takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame
    Everybody won't be treated all the same"





    Quote Quote  

  3. -3
    CallMeDaddy's Avatar
    CMD
    Status:
    Offline
    QBWinz:
    Join date:
    Sep 2010
    Posts:
    1,512
    vCash:
    16277
    Loc:
    Indiana
    Batman logoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
Gift received at 01-14-2014, 04:21 PM from DisturbedShifty
    I was 90% sure that Henne wore number 7...
    Credit: DisturbedShifty
    Quote Quote  

  4. -4
    LikeUntoGod's Avatar
    The Oracle
    Status:
    Offline
    QBWinz:
    Join date:
    Jul 2006
    Posts:
    4,191
    vCash:
    8977
    Loc:
    Gainesville Florida
    Who is T-Hill?
    Quote Quote  

  5. -5
    traptses's Avatar
    Starter
    Status:
    Offline
    QBWinz:
    Join date:
    Jan 2008
    Posts:
    1,045
    vCash:
    9545
    Loc:
    Albany, NY
    Batman logo
    AJ Feeley wore #13??? Hmm, all along I thought that number was retired. silly me
    Quote Quote  

  6. -6
    sinPHIN's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer
    Status:
    Offline
    QBWinz:
    Join date:
    Mar 2007
    Posts:
    6,778
    vCash:
    19412
    Superman logo2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by traptses View Post
    AJ Feeley wore #13??? Hmm, all along I thought that number was retired. silly me
    didnt he wear that garbage ass number 7? god i hate that number

    Quote Quote  

  7. -7
    Wildbill3's Avatar
    Misery Loves Company
    Status:
    Offline
    QBWinz:
    Join date:
    Dec 2001
    Posts:
    27,528
    vCash:
    12045
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoPlaystation LogoDeVante Parker's 111972 Dolphins Logo



    Quote Quote  

  8. -8
    foozool13's Avatar
    #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99
    Status:
    Online
    QBWinz:
    Join date:
    Jul 2005
    Posts:
    4,778
    vCash:
    624
    Loc:
    Los Angeles, CA
    i cant believe you wrote that long of a post for a jersey number...LMAO!
    Quote Quote  

  9. -9
    Vaark's Avatar
    Nihil taurus crappus
    Status:
    Offline
    QBWinz:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    23,167
    vCash:
    58315
    Loc:
    Monaco &pop's SFL house
    Quote Originally Posted by foozool13 View Post
    i cant believe you wrote that long of a post for a jersey number...LMAO!
    Best not laugh too much or you might just disappear!


    Quote Quote  

  10. -10
    Valandui's Avatar
    Lumberjack Batman
    Status:
    Offline
    QBWinz:
    Join date:
    May 2008
    Posts:
    10,233
    vCash:
    18828
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaark View Post
    If you believe in omens, Tannehill's #17 portends well for his career success.

    First consider our drafted QBs: the two best ever: Marino and Griese respectively wore #13 and #12. Then there was the late David Woodley who went 27-12 while wearing #16. Don't forget our backup extraordinaire, Don Strock, #10, who went 14-6 over his long career with us. Even backup Damon Huard, #11, drafted in '98, started 6 games and went 5-1. Scott Mitchell, #19, didn't set the world on fire here before he snookered Detroit into that FA contract, but still he threw 12 TDs to 8Ints.

    On the other, darker side of that draft road we have: John Beck #9, wee Patty White #6 and Henne#8. I've likely missed a few others unlike Josh Heupels who never saw the field so chime in.

    For those who were initially drafted or signed elsewhere before reaching Davie, it's a bit murkier:

    On the very bright side there's Earl Morrall #15 and Chad Pennington #10, arguably 2 of our 5 or 6 best QBs in franchise history. To a lesser extent although he won 9 games for us in his short pit stop is Gus Frerotte #11. Conversely, moderate positive exceptions to this Double Digit Hypothesis would include Jay Fieldler #9 and Matt Moore #8

    Free Agents who negatively lived up to their assigned numbers include Culpepper #8, Lucas #6, Harrington #3
    ... and the outright awful or circumstantially underwhelming double digit jersey exceptions coming from elsewhere include Cleo Lemon #17 (hopefully not an omen), Thigpen #16, Trent Green #10, Brian Griese #14, Sage Rosenfels #18, and AJ Feely #13

    So obviously 2 of our best ever QBs, FAs Morrall and Pennington experienced their success for us while wearing double digits on their backs, so that's relevant despite the many FA exceptions, but largely it's the homegrown under center hypothesis that has held up pretty firmly for those drafted QBs who precede T-Hill.

    I understand that the assignment of numbers is somewhat either arbitrary or a carry-over from college and an argument can be made that the foregoing is hogwash. However, there's no denying that our greatest QBs whether drafted by us or not, all sported double digit numbers on their backs. It just is what it is. Although he's got some big shoes to fill, hopefully Ryan will carry on in that grand tradition.





    Sounds legit to me.

    Valandui's Weekly Music Video

    Borknagar:
    Winter Thrice
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDrrKv2wjvk
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. <removed> I think we lose in Atlanta by double digits...
    By Strangeworld in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 09-13-2009, 05:50 PM
  2. Indigo Prophecy -- The Best Game Nobody Played
    By mor911 in forum Gaming Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-08-2007, 08:42 PM
  3. Poll: Democrats Lead Republicans By Double Digits
    By Blitz in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-11-2006, 05:08 PM
  4. My World War 3 prophecy
    By GlennFoley in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 02-18-2006, 08:11 PM
  5. Would Marino have been as successful if he was drafted by the Jets?
    By SkapePhin in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-15-2005, 02:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •