Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Supplemental Draft Order is based on a Lottery

1. -1
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo

Supplemental Draft Order is based on a Lottery

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...draft-lottery/

I mentioned the lottery a couple of weeks ago, but PFT does a great job explaining it.

Like the NBA and NHL, the NFL supplemental draft lottery is weighted so that worse teams get a better chance of having the highest picks. The first drawing will feature the 10 teams that won six or fewer games last season: Colts, Rams, Vikings, Browns, Buccaneers, Redskins, Jaguars, Dolphins, Panthers and Bills. The Colts will get their names put in the drawing 32 times, the Rams 31 times, and so on. Those 10 teams are guaranteed to have Top 10 picks, but the lottery will determine the exact order.

After that, a second drawing takes place with the 10 teams that won seven or more games last season but didnít make the playoffs: Chiefs, Seahawks, Cardinals, Cowboys, Eagles, Jets, Raiders, Chargers, Bears, Titans. The Chiefs will get their names in the drawing 22 times, the Seahawks 21 times, and so on. Those 10 teams get picks 11-20.

Finally, the third drawing is for the 12 playoff teams, with the Super Bowl champion Giants getting their names in the drawing just once. The 12 playoff teams get draft lottery picks 21-32.
    So it is possible Miami could have the top pick in each round, therefore have priority for Gordon. Then again, they could also pick as low as 10th in each round.

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...draft-lottery/

I mentioned the lottery a couple of weeks ago, but PFT does a great job explaining it.

So it is possible Miami could have the top pick in each round, therefore have priority for Gordon. Then again, they could also pick as low as 10th in each round.
    Im glad this was posted. For some reason, the myth exists that we have the same draft order as the previous NFL draft, which is false, as proven here. We don't need to be #1, we simply need to be above Cleveland, Washington, and the Vikings. Not saying those three are definitely going after him, but I'm of the opinion that they are easily our biggest competition. Get position above them, bid a 3rd, and we likely have him. I feel this way for several reasons - the main being, I simply don't see any of those teams bidding off their 2nd rounder (in Washington's case, their top pick)
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It took years to dispel the myth that the Supplemental Draft order was based on the real Draft order. It's always been this convoluted weighted lottery. Eventually Mike Florio took up the mantle of getting it out there and explained the right way (this isn't the first year he's explained it) and so it's starting to actually get out there more...for which I'm grateful.

When it comes to Josh Gordon the team to watch is, I'm hearing, the Dallas Cowboys. But they pick in the mid-tier and we pick in the high-tier, so if we both submit 3rd round picks we win. But will the Dolphins do that? Odds are against it, IMO.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    My head's on Fire!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Panhandle, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    What time is the Supp draft today?
    Dick Butkus: "I wouldn't ever set out to hurt anyone deliberately unless it was, you know, important like a league game or something."
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's now. Order is in.

1st round is over, and Miami is behind Cleveland. They are 4th, I believe, but Cleveland being ahead of Miami is troubling if you're wanting Gordon
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy685 View Post
    It's now. Order is in.

1st round is over, and Miami is behind Cleveland. They are 4th, I believe, but Cleveland being ahead of Miami is troubling if you're wanting Gordon
    wow cleveland threw a second at him.
    "I didn't feel like we had to score," Tannehill said. "I had the mindset we were going to score."

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    wow cleveland threw a second at him.
    Yea I am glad that is over and if we missed him it was because someone like Cleveland in the 2nd round in front of us grabbed him. I am a bit torn on the guy between our need to upgrade the WR position this year and our strikeouts in the supplemental drafts in the past. If he turns out to be a all pro I won't be so upset this way (not) that really makes it any better if he really does. Like everyone I am hoping that once we get in pads our WR postions starts sparkling a bit more. I like to root for the underdogs every year to make the team so we have a few of those at WR this year.

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

I can't say I have given it a tremendous amount of thought but will some explain why the lottery system in the supplemental draft is more fair than going by your original draft order of the prior draft?
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    DA M.I.A IS WHERE I STAY

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Way,way,waaay over drafted. This guy is not a better prospect than the 2 rounders to come in 2013. He's a 4th rounder, at best. Yes, his athleticism is well documented. However, he recks of Brian Robiskie or a Brandon LaFell. He'll be a decent 3rd or 4th option, but I highly doubt he'll be more than that. Of course, NFL scouts know more than me so I could be wrong. Still, I doubt I am.

Inspired by no other than Ben Violin
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    just getting thread count up - sorry friends!
    Quote Quote