Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AFC East Morning Take-Who is James Walker?

1. -11
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zach attach View Post
    I don't know who this guy is but his Patriot colors shine bright. What's with all these reporters saying we're screwed at WR?
    Who this guy is is irrelevant. What matters is whether his opinion has any basis in fact. As others have stated, you can't be all-Pro at every position under a salary cap. WR has been a Dolphin weakness going back to the Wannstedt era. Whether or not the reporter is a Patriots fan doesn't change that fact.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Tagalager

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Sacramento
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The great thing about signing Ocho, is we now have a chance to show that New England isn't always the geniuses they are made out to be. They have a couple of draft picks and a couple more years of paying him, we have a low cost one year deal for him. If ends up having a good, productive season for the Fins, it does two things: Gives the Fins brass some cred and makes NE look really bad for letting him go. It's a win-win in my eyes.
    "It's hard being a Dolphin fan all the way out here in Sacramento...I'm surrounded by fricken Winer fans and Raider fans...this sucks"
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's simple - Jeff Ireland is not trying to improve this team for the short term. We are building through a multi year process to fit Joe Philbin. We just went through a regime change and we are changing things up. Walker is simply misguided if he feels Ireland "overvalued" their wide receiver corps simply because they made offers to Vincent Jackson, they made attempts to trade up at certain times in the draft when players they felt were supreme value (Quick/Randle) fell to a position they could reach them. Sadly, the draft is 32 teams making 32 different sets of decisions and sometimes you end up on the short end of the stick.

What did Miami do as a result? Did they take the very next best WR in the draft out of fear? No, they didn't. They stuck to their guide and grabbed a ton of value. Will it work out? Who knows. But Miami made a statement with this draft saying we are going after talent, and we are not afraid to shore up a position we are otherwise okay at if it means quality players on this team. Look at the Giants! They ignored linebacker for how many years? And why, to take ANOTHER defensive lineman? Oh my god! JPP! Why would they take him when they already have guys like Tuck and Umenyora? Because they know this isn't Madden. This is a game of depth and talent. If you have multiple fresh bodies that are playing at a similarly high level versus players who are worn out or simply not as talented, you've got yourself some matchup problems.

This is why I'm 100% happy with the Lamar Miller choice. Insane value, a great prospect, and fits right into this offense like a glove (going by his skillset). The same thing will happen with a wide receiver, and only then will we be happy that we "ignored" our problems at WR previously.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    what can BROWN do for you?!?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    KC, MO.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cap's shieldXbox Logo
Gift received at 04-02-2014, 04:14 PM from DisturbedShiftyTannehill 172013 Dolphins LogoDolphins Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by z926538 View Post
    Who this guy is is irrelevant. What matters is whether his opinion has any basis in fact. As others have stated, you can't be all-Pro at every position under a salary cap. WR has been a Dolphin weakness going back to the Wannstedt era. Whether or not the reporter is a Patriots fan doesn't change that fact.
    Seems like we had a pretty decent WR corp last year. Wonder what's changed...

Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Money is Power

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Thats funny because he lives in Miami.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Undrafted Pro-Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Montreal
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zach attach View Post
    Blog author Jmaes Walker said today- "Morning take: Miami overvalued its receivers this offseason and now are trying to make up for it by signing Ochocinco. The Dolphins traded Brandon Marshall and didn't take a receiver high in the draft. The group that's left hasn't looked good in practice, but what did they expect?
    I think the media is exaggerating and overstating what Philbin had to say about the receivers and the drops. But to say that the group has not looked good in practice because of a few drops (mostly Cunningham) is an overstatement.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    PowerHungryMo'fo

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NYinBostonFin View Post
    He seems right to me.... If we needed Ocho here to make the young guys catch better, they should not be here to begin with.

Agreed
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    World famous Davie, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchFiedler View Post
    I think the media is exaggerating and overstating what Philbin had to say about the receivers and the drops. But to say that the group has not looked good in practice because of a few drops (mostly Cunningham) is an overstatement.
    I agree with your sentiment. There may be guys dropping an extra ordinary number of passes now, but now is the time to work on your timing, routes, cuts, defensive reads, adjustments, all while learning a new offense. Just because a few guys may be headlining the issue, Philbin's comments seemed to vilify the entire receiving core along with his tight ends and running backs. Are we going to replace them, too? Inasmuch as a guy can make a point to certain members of his team through his comments to the media and by the signing of OC for motivation sake, it stands to reason that this cannot be an all-encompassing problem else the problem is as much systemic as it is an individual concern.

The WR corp was not bad last year (although I think BM had more drops than anyone). Brian Hartline and Davone Bess have always been very consistent. Since Hartline is not participating in OTA's right now, we cannot include him in this argument.

That said, the entire receiving corp has been called out, while the real issues probably are with the rooks and younger guys. I remember Jeff Ireland praising BJ Cunningham's body of work at draft time. His videos seemed to portray him catching everything like he had catchers mits for hands. Rishard's video's were not much different; just faster. And nearly every reporter's blog of the practice highlights I read ends with a touchdown pass thrown to one of the newbies.

So... perhaps this is being blown out of proportion...Pounding consistency into their frame of mind makes all of them better pros. Making them perform at practice at a high level when its 100 degrees on the grass and 90% humidity, and running the offense at a high pace does nothing better to prepare the team for better days ahead, when it counts. This is the adversity we need to force the cream to the top. This is the player development we have been lacking for a long time.
    Quote Quote