Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scientists claim there was another universe before ours

1. -1
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo

Scientists claim there was another universe before ours

This is the theory of a leading Oxford University scientist who claims to have evidence of stars and galaxies that existed long before the universe as we know it formed, The Daily Mail reported.

Professor Roger Penrose says that cosmic radiation discovered by one of NASA's telescopes is older than the Big Bang.

Trippy

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 AM ----------

The research casts doubt upon the widely-held theory that the universe has continued to expand since the Big Bang and will continue to do so until it ceases to exist.

Prof Penrose says that his research shows that all matter in the universe will eventually be consumed by black holes, leaving only energy behind which will in turn trigger the next Big Bang.

"In the scheme that I'm proposing, you have an exponential expansion but it's not in our aeon - I use the term to describe [the period] from our Big Bang until the remote future," Prof Penrose told the BBC.

"I claim that this aeon is one of a succession of such things, where the remote future of the previous aeons somehow becomes the Big Bang of our aeon."

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/technology/sc...#ixzz1xgTdf8Ss
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Older than the Big Bang? Amazing that they can determine this.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So if I'm understanding this correctly, the Big Bang is just part of a chain reaction of an expanding universe within the remnants of a past universe?
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    When the universe ends and the next one begins...how long does that take? Would it be measured in Time or through some manner of aging the decay of what is left over?
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    I'd be lying if I said I fully understood all of this
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LANGER72 View Post
    When the universe ends and the next one begins...how long does that take? Would it be measured in Time or through some manner of aging the decay of what is left over?
    Time is a measurement as defined by humans. Time is relative based on perspective, the unit can be infinitely small or large. I believe that life is infinitely small and infinitely large, meaning no matter how small or large something appears to be there is always something smaller and something larger.

Based on my belief, at a certain level, the big bang wouldn't have even registered as an event. On a small and large enough scale the big bang is unmeasurable and that would be defined as a dimensional boundary. A dimension is bounded by the time scale that we have defined but really that is an illusion, in terms of earth time a human lives fractions of seconds, in terms of galactic time the earth lives fractions of seconds, in terms of cosmic time galaxies live fractions of seconds and so on.

A dimension is also something in which we can measure but are unable to transcend at this point in humanity, at a certain level it becomes too small and too large to measure. Trying to comprehend such measurements are useless because by definition you are placing boundaries on things you cannot measure. Humans have a need to know, which is why we try to define and measure situations which are unknown.

At least that is my theory lol. I don't pretend to know anymore or less than the next guy and you can tell me I'm full of **** and I'd respect that opinion because who knows maybe our galaxy is just a hot pile of steaming dog **** in some huge guys back yard. lol.
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Interesting perspective...
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NY8123 View Post
    Time is a measurement as defined by humans. Time is relative based on perspective, the unit can be infinitely small or large. I believe that life is infinitely small and infinitely large, meaning no matter how small or large something appears to be there is always something smaller and something larger.

Based on my belief, at a certain level, the big bang wouldn't have even registered as an event. On a small and large enough scale the big bang is unmeasurable and that would be defined as a dimensional boundary. A dimension is bounded by the time scale that we have defined but really that is an illusion, in terms of earth time a human lives fractions of seconds, in terms of galactic time the earth lives fractions of seconds, in terms of cosmic time galaxies live fractions of seconds and so on.

A dimension is also something in which we can measure but are unable to transcend at this point in humanity, at a certain level it becomes too small and too large to measure. Trying to comprehend such measurements are useless because by definition you are placing boundaries on things you cannot measure. Humans have a need to know, which is why we try to define and measure situations which are unknown.

At least that is my theory lol. I don't pretend to know anymore or less than the next guy and you can tell me I'm full of **** and I'd respect that opinion because who knows maybe our galaxy is just a hot pile of steaming dog **** in some huge guys back yard. lol.
    IMHO..agreed..Time is a measurement defined by humans, but since there would be a period of transition where human life(or any life for that matter)would not exist...no one would be around to be able to measure the passing of time in the moment.
    The resulting creation of new life, and new intelligence would begin to measure time again in some manner.
    The only way I can think of to measure the time in between universes is to measure the decay of isotopes in back ground radiation which depending on the type, have a predictable rate of decay. I would imagine a type of forensic astrophysics or some other type of forensics.
    I have been out of class for nearly 30 years so I am probably wrong, and I have forgot a lot of this stuff, but it is interesting to contemplate.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Finheaven Hall of Shame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hotel California
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The crazy thing is, when you look at the stars, you're looking back through time.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It stands to reason. Afterall, everything else we observe in nature is cyclical, including life. Why wouldn't we expect the universe as a whole to be the same?

I like the multiverse theory that there is a mass of universes like foam, wherein new universes bubble up, some lasting short periods of time, and others lasting longer. When one bubble universe "dies", another is formed as a result.

Might as well post this video, it fits with the theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX8D0yU0pMc
    FIRE FAILBIN

**If the Dolphins make the playoffs, this sig will become HIRE PHILWIN**
    Quote Quote