Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scientists claim there was another universe before ours

1. -11
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by SkapePhin View Post
    It stands to reason. Afterall, everything else we observe in nature is cyclical, including life. Why wouldn't we expect the universe as a whole to be the same?

I like the multiverse theory that there is a mass of universes like foam, wherein new universes bubble up, some lasting short periods of time, and others lasting longer. When one bubble universe "dies", another is formed as a result.

Might as well post this video, it fits with the theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX8D0yU0pMc
    love me some Alan Watts
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Finheaven Hall of Shame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hotel California
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Your new sig pic is $$$.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Cam Wake 91Tannehill 171972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by LANGER72 View Post
    When the universe ends and the next one begins...how long does that take? Would it be measured in Time or through some manner of aging the decay of what is left over?
    how do you measure time when time ceases to exist in a black hole?

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by CedarPhin View Post
    The crazy thing is, when you look at the stars, you're looking back through time.
    even looking at the sun, besides burning your eyes is the same principle.

Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    how do you measure time when time ceases to exist in a black hole?

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

even looking at the sun, besides burning your eyes is the same principle.
    Time doesn't cease in a black hole it appears to cease based on perspective. To people outside the black hole is appears to slow down but if you lived in the black hole time would continue at the same rate as it always has relative to you.
    Hold My Beer and Watch This!
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Well I don't know if any of you are aware of this, but time slows down the faster you're moving.

A case of time dilation in action is that astronauts actually return from their missions on theinternational space station (ISS) having aged less than the mission control crew that stayed on earth. Such time dilation has been repeatedly demonstrated (see experimental confirmation below), for instance by small disparities in atomic clocks on earth and in space, even though both clocks work perfectly (it is not a mechanical malfunction). The laws of nature are such that time itself (i.e.spacetime) will bend due to differences in either gravity or velocity - each of which affects time in different ways
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Gary Speed RIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dont know if I have read this right, but according to that theory, when all energy is sucked up by black holes, it then creates a new big bang and thus the universe is then created (again).

Would that then mean we are in a constant cycle of creation and destruction? The world in which we are living now, is something that we have lived before and will live again.

Maybe Heraclitus was wrong, maybe you can step into the same river twice.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by emeraldfin View Post
    Dont know if I have read this right, but according to that theory, when all energy is sucked up by black holes, it then creates a new big bang and thus the universe is then created (again).

Would that then mean we are in a constant cycle of creation and destruction? The world in which we are living now, is something that we have lived before and will live again.

Maybe Heraclitus was wrong, maybe you can step into the same river twice.
    Well, I didn't gather from that it'd be the exact same universe, but certainly a 'new' one though. This whole notion is actually quite similar to the Hindu notion of the Yuga's.

Mad props on the Heraclitus reference!
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Gary Speed RIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    Well, I didn't gather from that it'd be the exact same universe, but certainly a 'new' one though. This whole notion is actually quite similar to the Hindu notion of the Yuga's.

Mad props on the Heraclitus reference!
    I wasn't actually aware of the Yuga philosophy.

Huge thanks for pointing that out!!!
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Cam Wake 91Tannehill 171972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by NY8123 View Post
    Time doesn't cease in a black hole it appears to cease based on perspective. To people outside the black hole is appears to slow down but if you lived in the black hole time would continue at the same rate as it always has relative to you.
    Which is actually a paradox because if I could live til I was infinity on the outside of a black hole it would seem to me that nothing ever actually disappeared into the black hole. But if you were going into one head first and you looked down at your feet,your feet would seem. Miles away. Which begs the question does anything ever. Actually reach the center of a black hole or are things trapped in an infinite journey? So how would all these black holes combine ( super black holes like the one possibly at the center of our galaxy) and swallow up all the mass in the universe to eventually create another big bang? Plus if the universe is expanding at a rate at least as fast as the speed of light many think that it'll never collapse upon itself again so the last big bang will probably be the last big bang ever
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    Well I don't know if any of you are aware of this, but time slows down the faster you're moving.

[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Yes! As you approach the speed of light you age slower than the people who are moving slower. This is the same effect measured in the GPS satellite system, they are adjusted continually to compensate for this effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    Which is actually a paradox because if I could live til I was infinity on the outside of a black hole it would seem to me that nothing ever actually disappeared into the black hole. But if you were going into one head first and you looked down at your feet,your feet would seem. Miles away. Which begs the question does anything ever. Actually reach the center of a black hole or are things trapped in an infinite journey? So how would all these black holes combine ( super black holes like the one possibly at the center of our galaxy) and swallow up all the mass in the universe to eventually create another big bang? Plus if the universe is expanding at a rate at least as fast as the speed of light many think that it'll never collapse upon itself again so the last big bang will probably be the last big bang ever
    Which is along the same lines as my theory, on a big enough and small enough scale nothing is observable below and above a certain level. If you were infinitely big a black hole would have zero mass and size to you, the same can be said if you were infinitely small, you wouldn't even notice the effect of the black hole because your size is beyond influence of the hole.
    Quote Quote