Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Draft Strategy

1. -1
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West Palm Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks

Fantasy Draft Strategy

I was wondering about what strategies you guys use when drafting. I go a head and start it off with mine.

This is my strategy for standard draft head-to-head leagues.

I usually draft a RBs with my first 2 picks. Then QB with round 3. But that also depends on where I'm picking. If I'm picking in the middle or late I'll usually go with QB in the first, then a RB in the 2nd and 3rd.

Then I'll normally try to target receivers in rounds 4-7. Also depends on who is on the board. If a good RB falls into round 4 I'll probably grab him.

Then I'll usually grab a TE or Defense in rounds 8 and 9.

After that I'll grab my backup QB and just go for depth at WR, and RB.

With My last 2 picks I'll grab another Defense and a Kicker.

Really interested to hear what some of you guys do.

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Phins & Philly Sports

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    For me, it varies from year to year.

This year I would definitely draft a RB in round 1. The depth isn't that great at RB.

I would draft a QB in round 2 because I put good value into the QB position.

I'd see what players were available in rounds 3 and 4. I would probably draft a RB in 3 and a WR in 4.

In round 5 I would draft another receiver and then begin to look at the TE.

Draft a TE in round 6. I then would draft my backup QB because it's an important position. I would then draft a RB and WR in the next rounds and then look at D/ST. A good defense can be useful in FF. I would look at a K for the same reasons for D/ST.

Then I would just fill out the rest of the roster. That's just me, it has worked for me in the past.

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I've found good success with the "trifecta" approach. I draft a top notch RB, then a top tier WR, then a top tier QB, then I move on to my #2 players (i.e. 2nd RB, 2nd WR, etc). It's worked pretty well for me. I stay flexible during the draft, so if I'm drafting in the top 3 (like last season) I'm taking a top tier RB first (like Foster last year) then either a WR or a QB, depending on who is there. This past season there weren't any top tier QBs left at the bottom of the 2nd round so I went with a top tier WR. I decided to wait on a QB because there were better players and ended up with Eli Manning. I wish I could have done better, but that's just how the draft shook out. I ALWAYS make kicker my very last pick. I do pick defense higher as long as it is one of the elite defenses, but even then I wait until somewhere in the bottom 3rd of the draft.

Oh and I usually try an match up my QB with one of his WRs (and sometimes TE) from his NFL team. I like getting the double points when they hook up on passes. I aim to match up a QB with his #1 WR, but sometimes I have to settle for the QB's #2 WR or TE.
    Insert pithy saying here.

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    From a galaxy far far away....

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Sydney Australia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    for me, its BPA at 1. if i am picking in the first 3, then its more than likely a rb. 4-8 would be either the best wr (calvin johnson) or qb (rogers). 8-12 its the best rb. if i am picking late in the 1st, then I generally double up on the best rb or wr if the value is there, because after that there is a loong time between picks.

The way the TE played last year, one of the top 2 would be strongly consisdered as the 15-20th pick overall.
    I RESPECT EVERYONES POINT OF VIEW & OPINION....REGARDLESS OF HOW WRONG THEY ARE

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    for me, its BPA at 1. if i am picking in the first 3, then its more than likely a rb. 4-8 would be either the best wr (calvin johnson) or qb (rogers). 8-12 its the best rb. if i am picking late in the 1st, then I generally double up on the best rb or wr if the value is there, because after that there is a loong time between picks.

The way the TE played last year, one of the top 2 would be strongly consisdered as the 15-20th pick overall.
    Agreed. With the stats that Graham and Gronk put up last season you can consider them high end WRs for sure.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Depends on where I'm picking in the round. I'm picking at 3 this year so RB is a no brainer. Rice or McCoy , the. Come back in round two and go WR, then round 3 the best WR or RB available. I wait on QBs, unless its a 2 QB league. You can grab the12th ranked guy and be well off in QB. Like this year I like big Ben or Cutler, and especially Matt Ryan.

I don't even draft a defense sometimes if it's not required, and if it is I do that second to last round, with my kicker last round.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It really depends where you're drafting.

I hate the 11 and 12 spots this year. Thankfully, I'm drafting at 10. I'm cool with the 10 spot. Don't love it, but I'm good there.

I've noticed that as I mock, I get many of the same players. If my real draft goes like my mocks, I'll be very happy.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    I more or less play it on the fly with a mind that elite RBs are very valuable. Beyond that its really BPA. I never draft a D or a K until my last 2 picks. I change my D damn near every week based on matchups. Its been a good strategy for me.

Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    That's definitely tough to answer. Not only does it depend on where you draft, but also your league scoring setup. If in a league that values QB TDs to RB TDs and also awards points for completions, I lock and load a QB with my first pick. WRs are favored in point per reception formats once the receiving RBs are gone (like Ray Rice). Not trying to avoid the question, just trying to offer some food for thought. Also, there aren't as many quality RBs with share duties become the rage these days, so I wouldn't necessarily go RB - RB with my first two picks as that 2nd RB just may not be worth it.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    interesting
    Quote Quote