Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Players loving Philbin, Kevin Burnett recalls Sparano's quote

1. -11
    Lil Qweezy

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    I can't justify it like that. He was a ****ty coach. He should have been fired. Period. Was Philbin not available that year? Let's say that was the case, or that they didn't want to bring a coach in with the shortened offseason (which is also nonsense, considering Harbaugh didn't seem to have a problem implementing his system in that time); that's basically saying "we're going to accept one more ****ty year with a ****ty coach so we can get our guy next year." If that's the case, why not truly tank the season and grab Andrew Luck?

That being said, I don't think that's the approach they took. I think they just made a stupid mistake in keeping Sparano a year too long.
    I can agree with that. If Philbin does well, it'll ease the pain... Better justification? lol
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by brocolli rob View Post
    news is slow, but the new PFT story is pretty interesting... Not much we didn't know already, except this quote....

It’s easy for Philbin to come off as charming, especially since Tony Sparano’s relationship with his team grew so sour. Linebacker
    Kevin Burnett
    recalled that when the Dolphins started the year 0-6, Sparano told the team: “‘You know what? If you guys want to lose and be 0-16 and get me out of here, no problem. But guess what? I’m not going to be the only one gone, and that’s just the reality of this business.’”

and the Jets think this guy is their savior? Wait til they get a few losses, Sparano will be talking like this once again.

So glad we have Philbin now
    we won't be 0-6 and he won't be our HC.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    I can agree with that. If Philbin does well, it'll ease the pain... Better justification? lol
    Indeed.

Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Lil Qweezy

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    I dont think you'll be 0-6, either. But If the Tebow experiment fails, and you fail to make the playoffs, NY will be calling for Rex's head. And WHO do you think is going to get the first shot at coaching the Jets? Not rocket science...
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Chest Rockwell is my hero

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dirty Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I cant tell you how many times I had to argue that the guy was a joke, not a motivator, and the players did not want to play for him. He was in way over his head. I keep bringing this up, but it was classic when Long laughed at him right in his face.
    "Players love Sparano." So funny hearing that from his supporters last year. The funny thing is, he pretty much is the only one gone, outside of the trash he continued to play (Colombo, etc.).
    I believe any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle...Victorious

Quote Quote  

6. -16
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Wonder how many "ya knows," "at the end of the day's," and "uh uh uh's" went into that embarrassing diatribe.

For self-preservation, players, when in the moment, really do need to be political.. but most of 'em aren't Vince Young or Antonio Cromartie-level functional morons; you would think as a player they'd prefer to follow the lead of someone whom they have reasonable confidence is smarter than they are.

"Yep. Blow it up. This might the worst team I've ever seen constructed in my life.
    And then you throw in the terrible preparation and in-game coaching. There is no defense.
    But do it right. Fire everyone in the building. No survivors. , JiF Jetnation

Quote Quote  

7. -17

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dirty Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would love nothing more than to have The Meatball coach the Jets!
    I dont think you'll be 0-6, either. But If the Tebow experiment fails, and you fail to make the playoffs, NY will be calling for Rex's head. And WHO do you think is going to get the first shot at coaching the Jets? Not rocket science...

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

Thats the thing.. They didnt think Meatball was smarter than they are.. And its likely he isnt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaark View Post
    Wonder how many "ya knows," "at the end of the day's," and "uh uh uh's" went into that embarrassing diatribe.

For self-preservation, players, when in the moment, really do need to be political.. but most of 'em aren't Vince Young or Antonio Cromartie-level functional morons; you would think as a player they'd prefer to follow the lead of someone whom they have reasonable confidence is smarter than they are.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Lil Qweezy

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dolpns13 View Post
    I would love nothing more than to have The Meatball coach the Jets!
    You will see Sparano as the head coach of the Jets at some point. Maybe not this year, and it may be shortlived, but its coming...

You heard it here first, folks!
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Formerly Fiedler for MVP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    A van down by the river
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    His 3rd and 9 running back draws in the red zone WILL make you pull your hair out. Sparano is conservative on steroids.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dirty Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I can't justify it like that. He was a ****ty coach. He should have been fired. Period. Was Philbin not available that year? Let's say that was the case, or that they didn't want to bring a coach in with the shortened offseason (which is also nonsense, considering Harbaugh didn't seem to have a problem implementing his system in that time); that's basically saying "we're going to accept one more ****ty year with a ****ty coach so we can get our guy next year." If that's the case, why not truly tank the season and grab Andrew Luck?

That being said, I don't think that's the approach they took. I think they just made a stupid mistake in keeping Sparano a year too long.
    Not only that, but they gave him a freakin extension because the DB's feelings were hurt.

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

Even better, his 3rd and 18 play action passes
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMarksBros. View Post
    His 3rd and 9 running back draws in the red zone WILL make you pull your hair out. Sparano is conservative on steroids.
    Quote Quote