Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Players loving Philbin, Kevin Burnett recalls Sparano's quote

1. -21
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by dolpns13 View Post
    I cant tell you how many times I had to argue that the guy was a joke, not a motivator, and the players did not want to play for him. He was in way over his head. I keep bringing this up, but it was classic when Long laughed at him right in his face.
    I know, it was frustrating. It was so obvious that the players had no respect for him by the end of 2010, but then they suddenly love playing for him in 2011? Makes no sense. And the one game I bothered going to last year (and it wasn't even in Miami), I got to watch a complete break down and loss of control of the team. He was in WAY over his head.

Another funny thing is that was the reason I heard FAR more than any other for keeping Sparano, and it was complete and utter bull****.

Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    marshville, nc
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I had no prob with tony at first, but i dont think he overrided his coordinators as far as saying thats stupid. we had a team that could compete his entire tenure here but playcalling decisions beat us just as much as bad play. I'd rather be the favorite than the underdogs but i think philibins team of "underdogs" can quickly become the favorites
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    I'm on the side that thought the players supported him, but that quote shows that they clearly didn't. I'm surprised that burrnett made that public.

Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by brocolli rob View Post
    I dont think you'll be 0-6, either. But If the Tebow experiment fails, and you fail to make the playoffs, NY will be calling for Rex's head. And WHO do you think is going to get the first shot at coaching the Jets? Not rocket science...
    I agree if we fail to make the playoffs there will be some heat on rex but we'd have to be 4-12 for him to get Fired. Woody loves him and he's not hiring Sparano if rex if ever gets fired.

One thing I will add(as I am experienced seeing many coaching changes) is that no matter who the new coach is you will always see great quotes. I saw it when we hired Kotite, parcells, groh, Herm, Mangini and Rex. I'm sure you guys saw it w/ JJ, Wanny, Saban, Cameron and Tony. heck, our offensive guys are raving about Tony. The new coaches will always get positive quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMarksBros. View Post
    His 3rd and 9 running back draws in the red zone WILL make you pull your hair out. Sparano is conservative on steroids.
    He didn't call plays for you guys.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    I agree if we fail to make the playoffs there will be some heat on rex but we'd have to be 4-12 for him to get Fired.
    I disagree. I think the Jets get a LOT of extra pressure....
    1) Sports teams in New York are the most heavily criticized teams in the country.. For some reason EVERYTHING in New York has to be the best...
    2) The Giants really put the Jets between a rock and a hard place.. If Rex continues to lead a team thats far inferior to the g men, he will be fired--sooner than later
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I gotta admit that I thought Tony was the real deal, being hand-chosen by the successful coach who knew him best and seemingly orchestrating the greatest turn-around in league history. However the cracks did start becoming more visible in his questionable time outs and other field decisions (props to WV.. where the heck is he, who was on top of that long before anyone else). However, what did it for me was him throwing his players under the bus for poor execution while indemnifying and enabling Henning and his play calling which was so predictible our opponents admitted they could figure out at least 3 out of every 5 plays.

As hindsight is always 20/20 vision, I'm at a point where I don't even think he deserves that much credit for the epic turnaround; instead I'm now believing that while the Tuna is an azzhole, stole Wayne's and Steve's money essentially and is an outmoded general manager whose old school philosophies are outdated, in the year 2008, he demonstrated that as a field coach he still had it and was hands-on. It wouldn't surprise me if he was actually giving Tony instructions through some transmitter directly or by way of an assistant coach. So yes, given what has transpired since, including never seeming to climb that new coach learning curve, I'm thinking that success was a combination of Parcells as the de facto HC, Pennington's acquisition and the usual smoke and mirrors. Remember it wasn't Tony who came up with the Wildcat, but Parcells who was on record as saying even before the Fins that he believed that the old single wing formation can be updated and successfully re-introduced into the NFL.

Now I'm just glad he's both gone and thankful that he's playing a pivotal role for a divisional opponent.

Dear Math, please grow up and solve your own problems, I'm tired of solving them for you. -Anon

Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I disagree. I think the Jets get a LOT of extra pressure....
    1) Sports teams in New York are the most heavily criticized teams in the country.. For some reason EVERYTHING in New York has to be the best...
    2) The Giants really put the Jets between a rock and a hard place.. If Rex continues to lead a team thats far inferior to the g men, he will be fired--sooner than later
    2 of his 3 seasons his teams were vastly superior to the Giants- do we forget '09 & '10? Woody LOVES rex, he'd have to a)really embarrass the franchise w/ something personal(it's possible) or B)have a REALLY bad season(4-6 wins).
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Chest Rockwell is my hero

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dirty Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I agree if we fail to make the playoffs there will be some heat on rex but we'd have to be 4-12 for him to get Fired. Woody loves him and he's not hiring Sparano if rex if ever gets fired.

One thing I will add(as I am experienced seeing many coaching changes) is that no matter who the new coach is you will always see great quotes. I saw it when we hired Kotite, parcells, groh, Herm, Mangini and Rex. I'm sure you guys saw it w/ JJ, Wanny, Saban, Cameron and Tony. heck, our offensive guys are raving about Tony. The new coaches will always get positive quotes.

He didn't call plays for you guys.
    Again... He called plays a bunch of times!
    I believe any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle...Victorious

Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2 of his 3 seasons his teams were vastly superior to the Giants- do we forget '09 & '10? Woody LOVES rex, he'd have to a)really embarrass the franchise w/ something personal(it's possible) or B)have a REALLY bad season(4-6 wins).
    Ok so all of NY think about the Jets as superior to the Giants? Cuz they had a winning record in 09? Come on, Junc. Im not gonna say the Jets suck, but when you think of NY football-- you think of the Giants... And thats gotta be rough on the Jets, its a lot of pressure
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Ok so all of NY think about the Jets as superior to the Giants? Cuz they had a winning record in 09? Come on, Junc. Im not gonna say the Jets suck, but when you think of NY football-- you think of the Giants... And thats gotta be rough on the Jets, its a lot of pressure
    '09 & '10 the jets made 2 postseasons, 2 title games, won 4 playoff games while the Giants didn't make a postseason. Obviously what they did last year trumps all but to say the Giants have been superior in the 3 years rex has been here would be false.
    Quote Quote