Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Players loving Philbin, Kevin Burnett recalls Sparano's quote

1. -71
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by electrolyte View Post
    That's a LEGITIMATE tactic. Do you know what one of the greatest Generals in history did during a battle? The battle looked lost, they were outnumbered and losing... the soldiers were losing their will to fight and running away........ so the General led his men to a big river, with no escape, and the enemy right behind them. They had no choice but to turn around and fight with their backs to the river. He told his men, fight or you die here anyway. Guess who won the battle? He did. The men fought with more brutality than the other army, and he won.

I forget the name of the General, but I think he was an ancient chinese general. It worked on the principle that a man with no hope of escape will instinctively fight for his life with the ferocity of a cornered beast, and in so doing become an unbeatable warrior.
    I love reading about old battles and I know the battle you are talking about. It was General Han Xin at Battle of Jingxing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_Xin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Jingxing

At the feast after the battle, Han Xin's officers, still somewhat incredulous at their own good fortune, inquired into the rationale for the astounding deployments. Han Xin explained that as he was commanding a ragtag army and he was not a general of high renown, he had to resort to such drastic measures to force everyone to fight hard. This led to the saying "You achieve survival by fighting from a position of certain death"
    Quote Quote  

2. -72
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    I wouldnt put all blame on Sparano in that quote. It was the Fins who kept him there when they shouldnt have. Last season really was a waste of time, and a countdown to him getting fired right from Game 1.
    Quote Quote  

3. -73
    Formerly FireWrongstedt

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by brocolli rob View Post
    You will see Sparano as the head coach of the Jets at some point. Maybe not this year, and it may be shortlived, but its coming...

You heard it here first, folks!
    From your lips to God's ears.
    Die hard Dolphins and Devils fan.
    Quote Quote  

4. -74
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by

[LEFT
    It’s easy for Philbin to come off as charming, especially since Tony Sparano’s relationship with his team grew so sour. Linebacker [/LEFT]
    Kevin Burnett
    recalled that when the Dolphins started the year 0-6, Sparano told the team: “‘You know what? If you guys want to lose and be 0-16 and get me out of here, no problem. But guess what? I’m not going to be the only one gone, and that’s just the reality of this business.’”

Interesting they started winning right there and then... I do think that when a team stinks that bad you can't baby them.
    Quote Quote  

5. -75
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I will wait until I see what a Phillbin coached team looks like on the field when the games count..........Sparano is gone and I could care less what the players think of him now or what they say about the new HC today.....just shut up and be ready for wk 1
    Quote Quote  

6. -76
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Who do you think will have a better offensive stats season,Sparano in New York ,or shotty in LA . I say Shotty
    Quote Quote  

7. -77
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Sparano goes for field goals, he's a joke
    Quote Quote  

8. -78
    Finheaven Hall of Fame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Chandler, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    "Players love Sparano." So funny hearing that from his supporters last year. The funny thing is, he pretty much is the only one gone, outside of the trash he continued to play (Colombo, etc.).
    Beat me to it. Jesus, how many times did we have to hear that lame @ss talking point?
    Quote Quote  

9. -79
    The world is your's...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    LI, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    2 of his 3 seasons his teams were vastly superior to the Giants- do we forget '09 & '10? Woody LOVES rex, he'd have to a)really embarrass the franchise w/ something personal(it's possible) or B)have a REALLY bad season(4-6 wins).
    The Giants won the super bowl and the Jets went 8-8 last year. Doesn't that negate the other two years? Championships mean everything. Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, big nuts.
    Eli won as Super Bowl in his fourth year as a starter. We'll see how your super clutch wonder boy does in year four. I'm predicting slightly less that a Lombardi trophy but we shall see.

"I don't have pet peeves, I have psychotic ****ing hatred"
    Quote Quote  

10. -80
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Bayonne, Nj
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Sparano was just in over his head as an HC. Though he couldn't put an offensive line together while he was here, he is well respected as an o-line coach around the league. Never knew him to be a great offensive mind though, so I doubt he will be any good in NY
    Quote Quote