Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do non-believers rule the "RELIGION" forum here?...

1. -51
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    Yep. And IMO if there was a God who cared whether we believed in him or not, he would have probably made himself more provable.
    if it was easy to prove he existed, there would be no need for faith.

Quote Quote  

2. -52
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    non-believers rule because faith is something that isn't quantifiable wereas logic and science are something everyone can see and "explain".

Science is easy. faith is not.
    It's only "hard" because of the nagging feeling every believer has in their heart of hearts that belief is -- as a concept -- utterly foolish. It should be hard to believe in unicorns. It should be hard to believe that aliens built the pyramids. And it should be hard to believe that a virgin gave birth to a man who walked on water, raised someone from the dead, then died himself before being reanimated and floating off into the sky.

If incredulity and skepticism weren't natural human instincts, faith would not be hard at all. But they are, so it is.
    Quote Quote  

3. -53
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    if it was easy to prove he existed, there would be no need for faith.
    Which is how a God that cared about my opinion should want it.

Quote Quote  

4. -54
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    It's only "hard" because of the nagging feeling every believer has in their heart of hearts that belief is -- as a concept -- utterly foolish. It should be hard to believe in unicorns. It should be hard to believe that aliens built the pyramids. And it should be hard to believe that a virgin gave birth to a man who walked on water, raised someone from the dead, then died himself before being reanimated and floating off into the sky.

If incredulity and skepticism weren't natural human instincts, faith would not be hard at all. But they are, so it is.
    at one time it was hard to believe the earth was round. it isn't that you have to have faith, those of us who have it don't feel a need to question it.
    For the rest of you, perhaps you haven't asked the right questions.

For me it's just too obvious to think that the nature of the universe lends itself to having things more advanced than us. where does the ladder end? maybe it doesn't. maybe as we are above ants, (which is debatable, they do seem to have a pretty perfect society, at least as far as effenciecy goes) something is above us. then something would be above whatever it is that is above us. Science hasn't ruled out God, and history hasn't ruled out many things that have been documented in the bible. some things certainly shouldn't be taken as literal (imo, I don't believe all life was wiped out in a flood etc)

tl;dr science and God aren't exclusive.
    Quote Quote  

5. -55
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    at one time it was hard to believe the earth was round. it isn't that you have to have faith, those of us who have it don't feel a need to question it.
    For the rest of you, perhaps you haven't asked the right questions.

For me it's just too obvious to think that the nature of the universe lends itself to having things more advanced than us. where does the ladder end? maybe it doesn't. maybe as we are above ants, (which is debatable, they do seem to have a pretty perfect society, at least as far as effenciecy goes) something is above us. then something would be above whatever it is that is above us. Science hasn't ruled out God, and history hasn't ruled out many things that have been documented in the bible. some things certainly shouldn't be taken as literal (imo, I don't believe all life was wiped out in a flood etc)

tl;dr science and God aren't exclusive.
    Sure they are. Belief itself is completely antithetical to the scientific method.

The problem people get in is a fanatical need for answers. If science doesn't provide them, they turn to God, and the history of religious belief has been the cycle in that order, with God ever retreating into the gaps where science hasn't or can't penetrate. "Faith" was never an issue for people before science. Every new day was a miracle. Every lightning strike a warning. Droughts were a sign of displeasure. The Bible -- the Old Testament especially -- still deals with God this way. God creates the universe from nothing, yet needs Adam's rib to make Eve. He goes looking for Abraham in a village and can't find him (!). Speaks from a burning bush. Carves his mandates into tablets. Sends plagues against Egypt. The New Testament is somewhat more subtle but is still rife with miracles, of utter scientific impossibilities. Most people seem willing to reject the creation and flood stories as mythology, so why accept the virgin birth and the resurrection? Such compromises are beneath the rational mind.

Science doesn't provide all the answers, but at least it follows some kind of logical method. As for the rest, I accept that much of the universe is a mystery and some questions are fundamentally unanswerable. That seems to be a hard thing for people to do, but I've made my peace with it.
    Quote Quote  

6. -56
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Sure they are. Belief itself is completely antithetical to the scientific method.

The problem people get in is a fanatical need for answers. If science doesn't provide them, they turn to God, and the history of religious belief has been the cycle in that order, with God ever retreating into the gaps where science hasn't or can't penetrate. "Faith" was never an issue for people before science. Every new day was a miracle. Every lightning strike a warning. Droughts were a sign of displeasure. The Bible -- the Old Testament especially -- still deals with God this way. God creates the universe from nothing, yet needs Adam's rib to make Eve. He goes looking for Abraham in a village and can't find him (!). Speaks from a burning bush. Carves his mandates into tablets. Sends plagues against Egypt. The New Testament is somewhat more subtle but is still rife with miracles, of utter scientific impossibilities. Most people seem willing to reject the creation and flood stories as mythology, so why accept the virgin birth and the resurrection? Such compromises are beneath the rational mind.

Science doesn't provide all the answers, but at least it follows some kind of logical method. As for the rest, I accept that much of the universe is a mystery and some questions are fundamentally unanswerable. That seems to be a hard thing for people to do, but I've made my peace with it.
    well the flood story isnt' exclusive to the bible. in fact a lot of the old testment can be found in other culture's beliefs/history. Just as christmas was started to lessen the druid hold, so to has some of the history of other cultures been taken in.

I don't think there are questions that are unanswerable. I do think we don't know how to ask them.
    Quote Quote  

7. -57
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    As Tyler and Cedar mentioned, you don't have to be a Christian to be a morally upstanding person. Nor is being a Christian necessarily an indication of being a good person.

Now, could you answer some of my questions I asked on page 2? I'm genuinely curious.
    Dude, I didn't even hardly read your posts, much less click on one of your lame videos. You'll NEVER convince me there is no Higher Power that created all of this. Where did outer space come from? Keep searching, it may take you a while.......
    Quote Quote  

8. -58
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by CashInFist View Post
    Dude, I didn't even hardly read your posts, much less click on one of your lame videos. You'll NEVER convince me there is no Higher Power that created all of this. Where did outer space come from? Keep searching, it may take you a while.......
    well, if you bothered to read his post, you'd see that he didn't try to. You're allowed to believe AND think at the same time.

And to answer your first question in this thread, this isn't the "christian forum." It's the religion forum, and there's a lot that falls under that, not just your beliefs.

Quote Quote  

9. -59
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    well, if you bothered to read his post, you'd see that he didn't try to. You're allowed to believe AND think at the same time.

And to answer your first question in this thread, this isn't the "christian forum." It's the religion forum, and there's a lot that falls under that, not just your beliefs.
    LOL...OK, and?
    Quote Quote  

10. -60
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by CashInFist View Post
    LOL...OK, and?
    Damn. Well said. I'm convinced. I'm a Christian now.
    Quote Quote