Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: George Zimmerman Passed Police Lie Detector Test Day After Trayvon Martin Killing

1. -1
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Breaking George Zimmerman Passed Police Lie Detector Test Day After Trayvon Martin Killing

A day after killing Trayvon Martin, George Zimmerman passed a police lie detector test when asked if he confronted the teenager and whether he feared for his life “when you shot the guy,” according to documents released today by Florida prosecutors.

According to a “confidential report” prepared by the Sanford Police Department, Zimmerman, 28, willingly submitted to a computer voice stress analyzer (CVSA) “truth verification” on February 27. Investigators concluded that he “has told substantially the complete truth in regards to this examination.”

Zimmerman, the report noted, “was classified as No Deception Indicated (NDI).”

Along with questions about whether his first name was George and if it was Monday, Zimmerman was asked, “Did you confront the guy you shot?’ He answered, “No.” He was also asked, “Were you in fear for your life, when you shot the guy.” Zimmerman replied, “Yes.”

Before the CVSA test, Zimmerman--who was apparently not accompanied by legal counsel--signed a Sanford Police Department release stating that he was undergoing the examination “voluntarily, without duress, coercion, threat or promise.”

The lie detector test was requested by Chris Serino, a homicide investigator with the Sanford Police Department

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/...etector-421395

Interesting.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It looks good for his acquittal. The amount of evidence and the law on his side is over whelming. I would be shocked if he is convicted of anything.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It gives more credence to why the Sanford police let him go without charges. I'm pretty sure this can't be admitted in court though. I may be wrong.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    CVSA is horrible inaccurate and not admissible in court.

http://policelink.monster.com/traini...-analyzer-cvsa

Results: “The decision accuracy utilizing the traditional polygraph and its procedures was significantly higher than that of the CVSA approach.”A Comparison of Accuracy Rates Between Detection of Deception Examinations Using the Polygraph and the Computer Voice Stress Analyzer in a Mock Crime Scenario, 1996. Victor Cestaro, Department of Defense Polygraph Institute.Results: “The data analysis indicate that within the test paradigm used in this study, neither the polygraph nor the CVSA test chart evaluators were able to reliably differentiate between truthful responses and deception at levels greater than chance.”Effectiveness of Detection of Deception Examinations Using the Computer Voice Stress Analyzer (CVSA), 1998. Michael Janniro and Victor Cestaro.Results: “In summary, although there is evidence to support the basic electrical theory of operation of theCVSA, the instrument failed to function in a manner that would allow examiners to discriminate between truthful and deceptive test subjects.”The average accuracy rate of the CVSA in these studies was 38.7%.

"I would rather have my ignorance than another man's knowledge, because I have so much more of it."

"Get your facts first and then you can distort them as much as you wish."

"We all do no end of feeling, and we mistake it for thinking."

--Mark Twain
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Tacos View Post
    CVSA is horrible inaccurate and not admissible in court.

http://policelink.monster.com/traini...-analyzer-cvsa
    I wonder why police still use it then? These studies were done well over a decade ago. I wonder if things have changed since then. Maybe they use them to get false results on purpose? Either way it dispells the "racist" police theory and shows that the Sanford police did all they can to get Zimmerman but had to let him go.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    I wonder why police still use it then? These studies were done well over a decade ago. I wonder if things have changed since then. Maybe they use them to get false results on purpose? Either way it dispells the "racist" police theory and shows that the Sanford police did all they can to get Zimmerman but had to let him go.
    The Stanford police recommended charges be brought and doubted his testimony, but the local DA didn't feel there was enough evidence to do so. Under the stand your ground law there was no way arrest him just because the lead detective doubted his story. There has to be probable cause that he wasn't standing his ground. Which is why he probably wins his case anyway, the only witness with as good of a view as him is dead. Won't that result be fun? More will come out as it goes to trial, so who really knows...

My limited understanding is that CVSA has proven to work in interrogation, ie "look at this bump on the screen we know your a lair" to get someone to confess. But, that there is no science to support it, and controlled experiments show that it's easier to beat than a polygraph. Stepping on a penny in your show can artificially change your stress levels and throw off a polygraph. Or any number of drugs. If I remember correctly, Zimmerman had a temazepam prescription. That would suppress anxiety right there.
    Last edited by Two Tacos; 06-27-2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: wrong word
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The Stanford police recommended charges be brought and doubted his testimony, but the local DA didn't feel there was enough evidence to do so. Under the stand your ground law there was no way arrest him just because the lead detective doubted his story. There has to be probable cause that he wasn't standing his ground. Which is why he probably wins his case anyway, the only witness with as good of a view as him is dead. Won't that result be fun? More will come out as it goes to trial, so who really knows...

My limited understanding is that CVSA has proven to work in interrogation, ie "look at this bump on the screen we know your a lair" to get someone to confess. But, that there is no science to support it, and controlled experiments show that it's easier to beat than a polygraph. Stepping on a penny in your show can artificially change your stress levels and throw off a polygraph. Or any number of drugs. If I remember correctly, Zimmerman had a temazepam prescription. That would suppress anxiety right there.
    I'm sure him passing this test along with other evidence played into the DA's decision. The state must trust these tests enough to use them I would think. It would be interesting to see police results on these tests. Which witness died???
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    I'm sure him passing this test along with other evidence played into the DA's decision. The state must trust these tests enough to use them I would think. It would be interesting to see police results on these tests. Which witness died???
    Trayvon Martin.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trayvon Martin.
    I thought you meant 3rd party witness. For me murder 2 is an overcharge that could likely result in an acquittal. Manslaughter would have been a better charge. I don't see how you get 12 jurors to convict a man of murder 2 with all the evidence of self-defense in this case.
    Quote Quote